PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Everyone in the AFC East except for one team has appeared to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me rephrase my statement as it seems more harsh than it really is. What I meant by "trouble" is that they won't be a championship quality team. I expect them to win the division but get bounced out of the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs if they continue to have drafts like they've had. Expect seasons like '02, '05 and '09.

The only difference between other teams having the same "Ifs" as the Pats is that they don't have Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Drew Brees. Specifically, Brady and Manning are expected by their fans and the media to compete for a super bowl victory every season. The same cannot be said for most teams in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong, I like the current approach of the Pats which is not spending big in free agency but building through the draft. The only problem is, their recent drafts have been pretty bad (specifically '06 and '08). Also, I said last year's draft was the most critical in the BB's era and out of 10 picks, none made an impact. That's pretty pathetic when a team is going through as much turnover as the Pats. This draft will be interesting as it's being hyped up as one of the best classes in years. It's not asking much for the Pats to acquire one player in this year's draft to make an impact. Despite what most fans say on this board, plenty of positions are up for grabs.

Best post on the thread. Thank you.
Please all you Draftnics. Understand that the Draft alone cannot help us out of our talent hole this year. I am amused that some have said chill out it's only March. Yep...... there will be some odd cuts, but let's not bank on them. My concern is that there is a small pool of players that could have helped us this year in FA or trades and we all have our opinions as to who. I am also amused when another team winds up with a decent FA or Trade pick-up we scoff at that Team for such an "un-wise" choice. Yet we would temper that negative if we had picked up that guy. In my unimportant opinion, they whiffed on Boldin big-time. Dansby would have surely been a superb upgrade to go with Mayo in the middle. These guys are a proven commodity unlike an 18% Draft player chance. Of the first ten Draft choices in the first round of the Draft, only 43% ot those "blue chipers" make it to one Pro bowl. We are drafting #22 and that quality shrinks. Now if we had gotten say a Boldin or a Dansby you don't need to use the precious Draft for a WR or a ILB. These signings would help the Draft.

As I have said, think 18% NFL Draft success rate and that is at the end of three years. Hey some of last years Drafts could separate themselves and turn it on, but the cold dark reality is 18%. If we hit an absolute grand slam home run in 2010(and BB seems to be aiming for the bottom of the 9th) we will get 4 studs that are impact players, solid long term starters or major contributors (not JAGS). Four players of quality are not enough.That is why you have some targets out there that can at the least be considered like Marshall, Ray Edwards (he won't help? and is without question better than any #22 on the board and only 25 years old?), Carriker (why Ordick over this guy? and yes he was miscast and is now healthy and only 26) Olsen (25), Cooley (27), Morrison or some others who may be available like Santana Moss.

I agree don't make a deal for the sake of making a deal but wasn't Boldin a inexpensive pick up for the Ravens? Wasn't Davis a fit here? Doesn't Dansby fill a hole in the middle that the Ravens exploited Wilfork or not?

You have a month before the Draft. Pre-Season and training camp trades and cut pick ups happen but if you gamble on that fact you COULD lose.

Yes, in the past the Pats could sit and wait it out because they had sufficient talent. I can almost swear that the Pats FO seems to be blowing off 2010 and preparing for 2011 when a CAP or certain rules are back. I hope I am wrong.

Here is why I say we are in trouble. You are welcome to disagree with my 2010 assessment.
QB=A
WR=INC (need two with no Welker. No Galloways or Reeds need apply)
TE=F
O LINE=C (an unreliable Kaczur, Light is older, on his last contract year and has been dinged, Koppen has digressed, Neal is old and injury prone)
RB=C- (three old guys and one unreliable over hyped guy who this year is really, really going to try and get better this time...nyet!)

D LINE=INC (need a starting DE and another rotation guy. Brace is another 2nd round question mark pick)
LB=INC (need two OLBS)
DB=C+ (would have been a C-if Bodden had not been resigned. 2nd round choice! Wheatley has makings of a bust, Wilhite looks to be more of a reserve)

K=B (not as good as previous years)
P=INC

On your mark, get set....
DW Toys

Last edited:
With regards to Dansby, didn't he make a list of teams that he specifically wanted to play for? The Pats weren't part of his plans from the beginning.

for **** sakes.....

Big UPGRADES happen through a successful series of Draft(s)

when teams find 3-5 future starters or contributors..... it all depends on where you pick and even despite that; Good teams with worse draft picks still find formidable players.

DRAFTING successfully is HUGE.

You understand posters here. They believe that the patriots can sign anyone they want for prices that they want, and that they will then perform as probowlers.

With regards to Dansby, didn't he make a list of teams that he specifically wanted to play for? The Pats weren't part of his plans from the beginning.

Dude, we signed DAVID PATTEN! What the heck else do you want?

The whole thing about us needing a pass rusher, an every down running back, a tight end, another wide reciever or two and perhaps even an outside linebacker AND a shut down corner? Not to even mention both an OC AND a DC?!?!?

That's all just drivel from malcontent fans!!

David Patten won rings here before and gosh darnit, he's gonna do it again!

Best post on the thread. Thank you.
Please all you Draftnics. Understand that the Draft alone cannot help us out of our talent hole this year. I am amused that some have said chill out it's only March. Yep...... there will be some odd cuts, but let's not bank on them. My concern is that there is a small pool of players that could have helped us this year in FA or trades and we all have our opinions as to who. I am also amused when another team winds up with a decent FA or Trade pick-up we scoff at that Team for such an "un-wise" choice. Yet we would temper that negative if we had picked up that guy. In my unimportant opinion, they whiffed on Boldin big-time. Dansby would have surely been a superb upgrade to go with Mayo in the middle. These guys are a proven commodity unlike an 18% Draft player chance. Of the first ten Draft choices in the first round of the Draft, only 43% ot those "blue chipers" make it to one Pro bowl. We are drafting #22 and that quality shrinks. Now if we had gotten say a Boldin or a Dansby you don't need to use the precious Draft for a WR or a ILB. These signings would help the Draft.

As I have said, think 18% NFL Draft success rate and that is at the end of three years. Hey some of last years Drafts could separate themselves and turn it on, but the cold dark reality is 18%. If we hit an absolute grand slam home run in 2010(and BB seems to be aiming for the bottom of the 9th) we will get 4 studs that are impact players, solid long term starters or major contributors (not JAGS). Four players of quality are not enough.That is why you have some targets out there that can at the least be considered like Marshall, Ray Edwards (he won't help? and is without question better than any #22 on the board and only 25 years old?), Carriker (why Ordick over this guy? and yes he was miscast and is now healthy and only 26) Olsen (25), Cooley (27), Morrison or some others who may be available like Santana Moss.

I agree don't make a deal for the sake of making a deal but wasn't Boldin a inexpensive pick up for the Ravens? Wasn't Davis a fit here? Doesn't Dansby fill a hole in the middle that the Ravens exploited Wilfork or not?

You have a month before the Draft. Pre-Season and training camp trades and cut pick ups happen but if you gamble on that fact you COULD lose.

Yes, in the past the Pats could sit and wait it out because they had sufficient talent. I can almost swear that the Pats FO seems to be blowing off 2010 and preparing for 2011 when a CAP or certain rules are back. I hope I am wrong.

Here is why I say we are in trouble. You are welcome to disagree with my 2010 assessment.
QB=A
WR=INC (need two with no Welker. No Galloways or Reeds need apply)
TE=F
O LINE=C (an unreliable Kaczur, Light is older, on his last contract year and has been dinged, Koppen has digressed, Neal is old and injury prone)
RB=C- (three old guys and one unreliable over hyped guy who this year is really, really going to try and get better this time...nyet!)

D LINE=INC (need a starting DE and another rotation guy. Brace is another 2nd round question mark pick)
LB=INC (need two OLBS)
DB=C+ (would have been a C-if Bodden had not been resigned. 2nd round choice! Wheatley has makings of a bust, Wilhite looks to be more of a reserve)

K=B (not as good as previous years)
P=INC

On your mark, get set....
DW Toys

Hmmmm...... Quoting Hey Bro...

I guess that gives credence to the phrase that real buffoons think alike.

Let's go through the comedy of your mensa style "thinking":

Anyone north of imbecile should have realized that 2009 would be a voliatile year with Brady coming back and young players on defense. What was reasonable to expect and hope for is a team playing good football in December.

We did see this week 16 against Jax. Unfortunately, we lost the most important offensive player (non QB) in week 17 to an ACL injury. This effectively ended our post season.

Carriker sounds like a great idea. I mean lets claim the draft isn't the way to build a team because of the 18% success rate and then trade for a guy who has proven he is in the 82% bust category:confused:

The Jets greatly improved with Cromartie and LT. Who told you that? Most likely the same guys who told you San Diego greatly IMPROVED by dumping Cromartie and LT.

TE=F? What does that mean? Are you seriously giving a failing grade because we have "failing" TE's in........March?:eek:

My best advice is to end your "fandom" for football and the Patroits and move onto something more appropriate....like synchronized swimming or ice dancing.

The whole thing about us needing a pass rusher, an every down running back, a tight end, another wide reciever or two and perhaps even an outside linebacker AND a shut down corner? Not to even mention both an OC AND a DC?!?!?

The problem with your sarcasm, is that you couldn't find a single poster here who says we're all set because we signed David Patten. Saying that it's too early to make these judgments is not the same as saying we're ready to go to battle with the team as is.

pass rusher - TBC, what we need is a complete OLB on the other side to take AD's spot
every down RB - not happening, Faulk will remain 3DRB. Maroney will start and split carries with someone (hopefully a high upside draftpick)
TE - we'll undoubtedly get a couple.
WR - lots of time left, but let's keep whining about it
OLB - someone to replace AD as I said above
shutdown corner - uhh our secondary is fine, there's no needs back there.

EDIT: And also what Sicilian said. The sky is falling crowd seem to think the season starts tomorrow.

Last edited:
pass rusher - TBC, what we need is a complete OLB on the other side to take AD's spot
every down RB - not happening, Faulk will remain 3DRB. Maroney will start and split carries with someone (hopefully a high upside draftpick)
TE - we'll undoubtedly get a couple.
WR - lots of time left, but let's keep whining about it
OLB - someone to replace AD as I said above
shutdown corner - uhh our secondary is fine, there's no needs back there.

EDIT: And also what Sicilian said. The sky is falling crowd seem to think the season starts tomorrow.

TBC is a backup...the pats need 2 starting quality OLB's

you missed a starting RDE

based on your solution, I'm going to be $100 richer

He's a starting OLB and pass rusher for the New England Patriots.

I quoted a post, and only responded to his stated needs. RDE is on the list though yes.

I have not listed a "solution", I have preached patience. I'll be collecting in December btw thanks

Last edited:

TBC can be a starter if you have a good OLB on the opposite side. Starter does not mean pro bowler. The problem last year with the OLB's was Thomas, not TBC.

We need one starting OLB.

RDE I'll agree with you. I'm not comfortable with Mike Wright as a starter.

TBC can be a starter if you have a good OLB on the opposite side. Starter does not mean pro bowler. The problem last year with the OLB's was Thomas, not TBC.

We need one starting OLB.

RDE I'll agree with you. I'm not comfortable with Mike Wright as a starter.

he's a starter only because there's nobody else around

TBC is far from an ideal starter and I ain't talking probowler.....I didn't mention that....not sure where the hell you came up with it

he's a starter only because there's nobody else around

TBC is far from an ideal starter and I ain't talking probowler.....I didn't mention that....not sure where the hell you came up with it

So you're telling me if we had the Thomas we expected to get on one side, and TBC on the other, that's not a good pair of starting OLB's?

Your standards are WAY too high.

He's a starting OLB and pass rusher for the New England Patriots.

heh.....just like agnone or myers are the pats starting TE's......you have ot put 11 players on the field

I will be extremely comfotable with my bet if TBC is starting in 2010

So you're telling me if we had the Thomas we expected to get on one side, and TBC on the other, that's not a good pair of starting OLB's?

Your standards are WAY too high.

nope.....we'd have one good starting OLB.....and a backup posing as a starter

on the contrary.......your standards are way too low

Hmmmm...... Quoting Hey Bro...

I guess that gives credence to the phrase that real buffoons think alike.

Let's go through the comedy of your mensa style "thinking":

Anyone north of imbecile should have realized that 2009 would be a voliatile year with Brady coming back and young players on defense. What was reasonable to expect and hope for is a team playing good football in December.

We did see this week 16 against Jax. Unfortunately, we lost the most important offensive player (non QB) in week 17 to an ACL injury. This effectively ended our post season.

Carriker sounds like a great idea. I mean lets claim the draft isn't the way to build a team because of the 18% success rate and then trade for a guy who has proven he is in the 82% bust category:confused:

The Jets greatly improved with Cromartie and LT. Who told you that? Most likely the same guys who told you San Diego greatly IMPROVED by dumping Cromartie and LT.

TE=F? What does that mean? Are you seriously giving a failing grade because we have "failing" TE's in........March?:eek:

My best advice is to end your "fandom" for football and the Patroits and move onto something more appropriate....like synchronized swimming or ice dancing.

Kind of harsh Mr third string in Pittsburgh. Should we go over the Pats bust? No......... didn't think so. No TE means F. Yes .....March and it is 4 small weeks before the Draft. You have heard me. It is March. Unless you're of the religion that we will wait for the pre-season "cuts" in camp....Lovely!

Buffoon? Who the hell are you and what is your claim to fame? If you expected the 2009 Patriots to be rebuilding with the "young players on defense" you got your wish. I expected more out of 2009. I am sorry. If they are rebuilding in 2010 I am not happy either, are you? Tell me again about the young defensive players on defense that made an impact. Springs, Burgess, Junior and Teddy did retire. I assume you are talking 2009 Draft. Pryor and Butler played sparingly and Chung was an ST guy. Move along. Nothing to see here folks....no impact players yet.

It is in my humble opinion that Carriker was mis-used as a DT by the Rams as he is better suited as a 5 tech DE and the kid (who is only 25) paid the price of an added 20lbs he put on and got nicked. Yes. I would stack that "bust" over any DE 5 tech in the Draft...Thank you please. Please look at his resume. He had a very decent rookie year and then got injured.

In my opening statement Mr. Third string in Pittsburgh, I said that the AFC East Teams have appeared to get help themselves. Please read this first. Don't put words in my mouth and try a little respect. It's not all about you. Was all that Buffoon, imbecile and Mensa crap necessary? You must be a joy at Thanksgiving diner.

DW Toys

heh.....just like agnone or myers are the pats starting TE's......you have ot put 11 players on the field

I will be extremely comfotable with my bet if TBC is starting in 2010

He started in 2009 with a crappy slacker on the other side and you wouldn't have won the bet then. Heck you would have LOST if the last game of the season meant anything.

Anyway, back to not caring about your drivel.

nope.....we'd have one good starting OLB.....and a backup posing as a starter

on the contrary.......your standards are way too low

I think you might be judging him based on his first go around with the Patriots. The TBC I saw last year was a solid starter. The problem with the defense last year was a lack of starting caliber RE (and overall lack of consistency on the DL due to injuries), Thomas taking a nosedive on the other side, Mayo's injury, and lack of depth at ILB.

And based on your wager comment above, you're saying we find solutions to the above but keep TBC as one of the starting OLB's, you're still convinced they're going 9-7 or worse?

I think we really need to be patient with the rebuilding of this team....I don't see how people can say that this team is not is sort of a rebuilding mode while they are NOT in full blown rebuild,they certainly are adding new parts this year.
While there are a decent amount of players who have been here for awhile, the fact lies is that this team is going to be seeing a lot of new players and young inexperienced players at that.

IMO This team could be a few years away from being serious contenders for a championship,the problems with failures of producing good draft picks 3-4 years ago (with some exceptions like Gostkowski) is the reason why this team could be heading downward before they rise back up,its happened to every team of the decade in NFL History,so why should it not be any different with this team?

BB needs to be NEAR PERFECT with this draft and his moves and picks,enough of the Chad Jackson,Laurence Maroney failures and FA duds like AD,Beisel,C. Brown,Starks and Galloway ect: - The team needs some good infusion of youth and smarter FA acquisitions and needs it VERY soon before memories of the early 90s teams return.

Last edited:
I think you might be judging him based on his first go around with the Patriots. The TBC I saw last year was a solid starter. The problem with the defense last year was a lack of starting caliber RE (and overall lack of consistency on the DL due to injuries), Thomas taking a nosedive on the other side, Mayo's injury, and lack of depth at ILB.

And based on your wager comment above, you're saying we find solutions to the above but keep TBC as one of the starting OLB's, you're still convinced they're going 9-7 or worse?

actually 10-6 or worse.......

I look at it this way......how many 3-4 reams from 2009 would TBC start for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News