PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Every two years, BB overhauls an offensive group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckedtrek

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It seems that about every two years, primarily in the draft BB completely overhauls a position group on offense.

In 2009, it was Gronk and AH - revamping our TE's
In 2011, it was Ridley and Vereen - revamping our RB's
in 2013, w/BB getting rid of Wes who was the corner stone of our WR core, is Bill planning on a complete do over with this position group? Will BB draft or otherwise acquire two WR's in the draft?

With only 3 picks currently in the draft (other than 7th rounders) it's hard to imagine. He wouldn't do this right? One WR I can see, but I think we need more help on D. But what do I know!

It seems that about every two years, primarily in the draft BB completely overhauls a position group on offense.

In 2009, it was Gronk and AH - revamping our TE's
In 2011, it was Ridley and Vereen - revamping our RB's
in 2013, w/BB getting rid of Wes who was the corner stone of our WR core, is Bill planning on a complete do over with this position group? Will BB draft or otherwise acquire two WR's in the draft?

With only 3 picks currently in the draft (other than 7th rounders) it's hard to imagine. He wouldn't do this right? One WR I can see, but I think we need more help on D. But what do I know!

The tightends were 2010.

I think he just doubled up lately, if that's what you mean:

2010--TE's
2011--RB's
2012--DE/LB's

Is there potential for WR's this year, sure. Maybe we take one in the higher rounds, with another in the mid/late rounds (after trading down to acquire another pick of course).

Of course there is the potential that CB may also be a doubled up position, especially if you consider the prospect of Tyrann Matheiu in there in the mid/later rds as a slot CB/ST guy.

Throw 2007 in the mix he doubled up on WR that year Moss and Wes. Stallworth too.

Drafting 2 WR'S and 2 CB's in the first 3 (or even 4) rounds after a trade down is a viable method to greatly increase the likelihood of rookie help at one of the positions.

Drafting 2 WR'S and 2 CB's in the first 3 (or even 4) rounds after a trade down is a viable method to greatly increase the likelihood of rookie help at one of the positions.

Understandably. But in 2010 BB took two TE's and both are direct hits. In 2011, two RB's and both look solid to very good. As signbabybrady pointed out, in 2007 it was a WR do over, but through existing (non drafted) players. I guess my point is, is that it seems as if BB likes to refresh his offensive roster like someone upgrading their house one room at a time.

With the low number of draft picks (at least starting out) I'd be very surprised if he did it again this year through the draft. But if he does, it could be seen as a developing pattern. That said, I think BB remains as flexible as possible on draft day with multiple scenarios in mind. I just find it interesting and wondered what others thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes