PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Evan Mathis released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian Waters was 34 when Belichick signed him in 2011 so I would think Mathis is a possibility.

If Mathis is willing to take a deal worth up to 2.75m dollars a year like Waters did, it's a clear no brainer.

I find that rather unlikely though, considering the fact that he wasn't happy with his 5.5m dollar compensation in Philadelphia. While he won't get that kind of money, it still gives a hint at what he's looking for, and it's probably too rich for Belichick's blood.

If Mathis is willing to take a deal worth up to 2.75m dollars a year like Waters did, it's a clear no brainer.

I find that rather unlikely though, considering the fact that he wasn't happy with his 5.5m dollar compensation in Philadelphia. While he won't get that kind of money, it still gives a hint at what he's looking for, and it's probably too rich for Belichick's blood.
Don't crush my dreams, Supa.

Don't crush my dreams, Supa.

I think we all hope that Mathis would be willing to agree to a smaller deal in the hope to win a championship, but "how much" is the key question here--particularly from a guy who wasn't pleased with his former 5.5m dollar salary.

Seattle's interest should stir this up once and for all. I wonder how much they are willing to pay him? I'm guessing a deal between 3.5--4.5m dollars. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

@AdamSchefter: Former Eagles G Evan Mathis scheduled to visit Seahawks on Saturday, but uncertain if he will go, per source. Has interest from other teams.

Butler will intercept him on his way to Seattle and he'll end up a Patriot.

If he goes to Seattle, they should be the favorite to win the Super Bowl. And they better hope they do because coming soon to Seattle is a new show called "Cap Hell".

Let's see. Seattle has a good amount of starters as 2016 free agents (Okung, Lane, Kearse, Sweezy, a starting DT, etc) with barely any cap space & their All-Pro SS plans to holdout during the regular season.

And they get the first visit?

Mathis to NE seems to good too be true, almost a perfect fit.

He's easily one of, if not the, best LG in the league and we do have some money left..... I think it's worth using what's left of the cap for him.

Perviously stated by a few posters already, but he'd be a great Brian Waters-esque singing to bridge the gap until Mason/Jackson are ready. As shown at the start of last season, a solid line is of the utmost importance.

Pay the man.

seattle can pay top dollar for a qb/te/cb/ss/fs/mlb/ and two defensive lineman?? lol how is any of that possible???

seattle can pay top dollar for a qb/te/cb/ss/fs/mlb/ and two defensive lineman?? lol how is any of that possible???

They're not paying top dollar for ageing vets, busted rookies and big money, low value FAs. They're a well run team. In other words, they aren't the Redskins, Raiders or Bears.

They're not paying top dollar for ageing vets, busted rookies and big money, low value FAs. They're a well run team. In other words, they aren't the Redskins, Raiders or Bears.

how come we couldnt keep revis even with brady taking below market dollar? not like we're paying top dollar for anyone other than gronk/mccourty...

how come we couldnt keep revis even with brady taking below market dollar? not like we're paying top dollar for anyone other than gronk/mccourty...

We still have to pay our young starters like Collins, Jones and Hightower whereas the Seahawks have already made that happen. That's why we couldn't pay what Revis wanted.

that schenider GM is really good. scares me good.

Hey manx. I read couple months ago bout mathis in one post here on this forum and soon after on the other site, how he doesnt fit our scheme. Writer put really good explanations which team is suitable for him and how he is not fit for pats scheme. Sadly I cant find any to post links.
Wat do u think?

that schenider GM is really good. scares me good.

Hey manx. I read couple months ago bout mathis in one post here on this forum and soon after on the other site, how he doesnt fit our scheme. Writer put really good explanations which team is suitable for him and how he is not fit for pats scheme. Sadly I cant find any to post links.
Wat do u think?

I'd love to help but I can't really. I spend my time watching the Pats and the draft so don't really follow other NFL teams that much.

I will say this though. SPARQ is a system of judging the athleticism of younger high school and college prospects and its used extensively by the Seahawks. There are five players in the NFL who are 3x more athletic than the average NFl player as judged by SPARQ: JJ Watt, Calvin Johnson, Lane Johnson, Byron Jones AND Evan Mathis. That's how athletic he is.

http://3sigmaathlete.com/2015/04/02/inducting-a-new-3-sigma-athlete/

I'm all for it so long as it doesn't affect Shaq Mason's development.

Who of Sheard, McCourty and the upcoming extension crew were you prepared to give up to keep Revis?

I'm not rehashing this. You people keep trying to pretend players couldn't have been kept when they could have. It was gone over, time and again, at the time of the Revis situation.

They could have kept Revis.

I'm glad they didn't keep Revis. Good player but he would turn on you for a buck. Least he could do was put in a good word for Brady, but couldn't even do that. Moss is a good example of the opposite, even though he didn't get a ring he still stands by his old teammate.

I'm not rehashing this. You people keep trying to pretend players couldn't have been kept when they could have. It was gone over, time and again, at the time of the Revis situation.
You said the Patriots could have kept Revis. I agree they could have but I also asked you who you were prepared to lose for that to happen. It's elementary stuff Deus.

For the record, Chandler Jones is the only guy I would have been prepared to lose to extend Revis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST