PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Evan Mathis released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gr8 memories!

I remember he was drafted in the 4th round. Does anyone think with improved scouting and the dearth of QBs that he would be drafted much higher now?

I think he was a legitimate franchise QB.
I absolutely loved Grogan, he was one of the players that got me following the Pats. True Pat's legend. That being said, I don't think he was a franchise QB. He was the perfect QB for the Pats at that time, since they had a great running game from 1975-1980. He became more of a pocket passer later in his career, had a good arm. But I never considered him a franchise QB.

I'm sorry, but why would any woman/wife hire a "really hot" nanny? Or allow her husband to do so?
I had the same thought... God knows my wife would never allow such a thing. Our nanny would have to be over 60 and probably barely speak English. (In some alternate reality where we could afford a nanny.)

I'd be surprised to see a coach like Belichick find value in paying Mathis a deal worth 5.5m dollars a year, particularly after drafting 2 interior linemen and still having Wendell on the roster.

It just doesn't sound reasonable to me, as happy as I'd be to have the spot solidified with proven talent.

I'd be surprised to see a coach like Belichick find value in paying Mathis a deal worth 5.5m dollars a year, particularly after drafting 2 interior linemen and still having Wendell on the roster.

It just doesn't sound reasonable to me, as happy as I'd be to have the spot solidified with proven talent.
I think BB will pay for elite talent... Mankins got top money. I can see him doing $4-4.5m a year plus incentives on a short contract term, which will allow the heir apparent Mason to develop.

Could also see Wendell being cut in this scenario if someone like Andrews or Kline shows enough at the Center position.

If Mathias could get $5.5m a year someone would have traded for him when the Eagles were shopping him

Figures there are multiple people, that's what I get for finding out this "news" from a Jests forum. I did read something about Giselle screaming at Tom and walking out of the restaurant on his BDay though, but if that were something that actually took place it would have been much more publicized.

Edit: And yes, she is hot.

It was OK magazine. Tabloid garbage, nothing worth taking seriously.

If Mathias could get $5.5m a year someone would have traded for him when the Eagles were shopping him

Agreed.

The game of chicken continues. What will Mathis get paid, and by what team?

I think there's 0 chance Mathis signs here. So many other teams have much more capspace.

Yep. They weren't going to pay Mankins that money last year and they aren't going to pay Mathis that here.

He turns 34 in Nov. No chance.

Mankin$ was getting paid more than what Mathis will eventually accept, so the Pats in a round-about way would still save money by signing him.

Both Mason & Jackson were RGs in college, though it appears that Mason played LG during the 2012 season, and Wendell IIRC has taken very few if any snaps at LG during his 7 years here. We lucked-out in a way with Connolly last season, but I'd really really rather not have to rely on such luck again this season.

Yes fair enough, but the point still stands regarding his expected deal. He's looking for too much money in my opinion.

I highly doubt Belichick would be remotely interested at even say, 4m dollars--but we will find out soon enough.

Both Mason & Jackson were RGs in college, though it appears that Mason played LG during the 2012 season, and Wendell IIRC has taken very few if any snaps at LG during his 7 years here. We lucked-out in a way with Connolly last season, but I'd really really rather not have to rely on such luck again this season.

I fully agree with you, and LG is certainly a concern for me as well. I just have doubts as to whether or not Belichick will see value in signing Mathis, that's all.

If he decides to bring him in, my worries will be alleviated almost automatically, and as a fan I would definitely be excited.

I think BB will pay for elite talent... Mankins got top money. I can see him doing $4-4.5m a year plus incentives on a short contract term, which will allow the heir apparent Mason to develop.

Could also see Wendell being cut in this scenario if someone like Andrews or Kline shows enough at the Center position.

I agree that Belichick will pay for "elite talent," but my concern would be BB's definition of that for a 34 year old guard, that's all. I'd also expect the high majority of cases of that talent to be home grown, rather than being paid to outsiders, so that's something that I'd take into consideration as well.

Of course, at the end of the day, Belichick will spend the money accordingly and do what's best for the team, so we can take comfort in that no matter what.

looks like Mathis is willing to bet on himself, so that gives BB some field to work with him, I'm pretty sure the only obstacle so far is the money, Mathis is not giving signs of decline.

They wont go after Mathis until theve come to the conclusion that the kids and the backups won't make it over 16 games. In 2011 RG was very unsettled and BB had no choice but to bring in Watters.

I think Bill would give the rooks another game or 2 to give him a better picture on whether or not they can man the position up to his standards. Hopefully if he decides Mathis is the way to go after pre-season game #2 or #3 he is still around.

I agree that Belichick will pay for "elite talent," but my concern would be BB's definition of that for a 34 year old guard, that's all.

Offered a 35 year old Brian Waters $4m to come back in 2012 and he was a RG

The Pats signed Brian Waters to a 2-year, $5.5M deal, so they're willing to pay good money for good talent. [I forget how much of that was his 2012 salary.]

In any case, the Pats will bring in elite talent whenever the market makes it plausible. As a case in point, they didn't need to trade for Randy Moss when they did in 2007. They had already added Donte Stallworth, Kelley Washington, and Wes Welker; those three alone would have been a massive upgrade over the 2006 corps.

The Pats signed Brian Waters to a 2-year, $5.5M deal, so they're willing to pay good money for good talent. [I forget how much of that was his 2012 salary.]

In any case, the Pats will bring in elite talent whenever the market makes it plausible. As a case in point, they didn't need to trade for Randy Moss when they did in 2007. They had already added Donte Stallworth, Kelley Washington, and Wes Welker; those three alone would have been a massive upgrade over the 2006 corps.

Bingo!! You can never have too much Depth of Talent at any Position.
smiley_headbanger.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe