PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN's Darlington: Gronk "frustrated" with BB; likely to play for NE if Brady is there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gronk has said almost nothing about this, and has reportedly been working out at the facility. Naturally, that hasn't stopped posters from saying all manner of stupid things impugning the big guy.

Not

Back in 2016

Monday night, Gronkowski sent out what appeared to be a light-hearted, yet still passive aggressive tweet. “If ya think about it that Option pick up basically equals pay cut next 4 seasons… I don’t work hard for those reasons. Haha.”

This tweet came after the news of Colts tight end Dwayne Allen signing a four-year contract extension worth up to 30-million dollars, with 16-million of those dollars being guaranteed. He will earn 12-million dollars next season alone. Allen has 91 receptions in four seasons, with 13 touchdowns, and only 43 games played. What do Allen and Gronkowski have in common? They both are clients of Drew Rosenhaus, who is notorious for always getting the top dollar out of every player. He is to the National Football League what Scott Boras is to Major League Baseball.

What would it take to convince you that Gronk is unhappy with his contract?

I didn't read the latest bash from ESPN, nor will I. I agree with Deus:
Gronk has said almost nothing about this, and has reportedly been working out at the facility. Naturally, that hasn't stopped posters from saying all manner of stupid things impugning the big guy.

Look, playing for BB has to be extremely difficult, I am dead serious. The amount of singular mental focus it must take to stay at the very high level he demands must be exhausting. There's a reason guys are considered "once in a generation". They are special, and they care only about one thing: winning football games. It consumes them. Perhaps Gronk is mentally tired of the grind. Abused by defenders. Ridden by the coaches. Fans who want a piece of him. Everyone around him chasing dollar signs. His HoF QB talking about the end game. I would think the guy would just like to be a 28 year old guy, sit on a beach and chill. Enjoy some of the "trappings" that come with being a successful, single athlete built like a Greek God. Perhaps that frustration spilled out on that nasty BS cheap shot he did on Tre'Davious White.

I'm not saying that his life sucks. Quite the contrary. He's never lived check to check, never had to worry about paying the rent or buying groceries. But that doesn't mean it's not a stressful, tiresome grind. He certainly could go play for another team, where he could relax mentally and just play the game. But I am willing to bet good money that he knows that the Gronk Persona he's created thrives here in Foxboro. It makes him more money later if he's here now. In pretty much any other NFL city, he's just another great athlete. I am also willing to be that he looks at a place South Beach or Southern California and thinks "man, that would be great. Play football, get paid, have no stress." Bur deep down, he knows as long as Brady is here, this is the place to be. I would add: we all suspect Brady might also be frustrated, and that must affect Gronk as well.

I am not gonna bash the guy because the grind might be wearing thin. If he's vocal about it, that's how guys get traded out of here. It might happen. Then again, he might just shut up and take it. If he's vocal, and he's a contrarian voice in the locker room, then he should be traded. If he's a good soldier, then he'll shut up and Do His Job.

That was a novel, compared to most of my posts.

These guys have egos which BB doesnt feed. You think you play the game of your life with 8 catches for 150yds and 2 tds and I guarantee Bill rips you a new one for running a route short or missing a block but thats also what it takes to get better(or the best). Just blowing smoke up a players *** doesnt really work. There is a very fine line here.

My son is a good athelete and to most wathcing yes he scores the most baskets and grabbed the most rebounds but to me he didnt crash the boards on a few occasions and his defense wasnt tight enough on a number of plays.

So yes I have to point out those things in order for him to get better but I also have to make sure I butter him up for all he did good first. Its a tight rope.

The problem with this is that playing professional football, if approached with the intent to win consistently, takes those involved out of their comfort zone. It's SUPPOSED to be an agitating grind and tremendously hard work. The "fun" part comes three hours a week with playing the games and winning -- everything else is a demanding pain-in-the-ass chore. It's a big price to pay being a winner, so if/when they reach the point of having fewer f*cks to give working under BB, it's time to leave. They shouldn't expect BB to change his style or philosophy to accommodate their comfort level or soothe their ego individually. With the Patriots it's about TEAM and WINNING.

Totally agree with all of that.

I was replying to someone who was basically taking the position of "I'm not going to believe any of this because I can't believe that Brady and Gronk suddenly became babies". The point is that they didn't have to "suddenly become babies" for the stuff swirling around to be true. It could be that they've always disliked it and have slowly, gradually, over time reached their "I'm not going to take it anymore" point. And yes, if they really have gotten there then it is time to go.

He will retire when Tom Brady retires.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
These guys have egos which BB doesnt feed. You think you play the game of your life with 8 catches for 150yds and 2 tds and I guarantee Bill rips you a new one for running a route short or missing a block but thats also what it takes to get better(or the best). Just blowing smoke up a players *** doesnt really work. There is a very fine line here.

My son is a good athelete and to most wathcing yes he scores the most baskets and grabbed the most rebounds but to me he didnt crash the boards on a few occasions and his defense wasnt tight enough on a number of plays.

So yes I have to point out those things in order for him to get better but I also have to make sure I butter him up for all he did good first. Its a tight rope.

The coach has one as well. It's not just the player.

Totally agree with all of that.

I was replying to someone who was basically taking the position of "I'm not going to believe any of this because I can't believe that Brady and Gronk suddenly became babies". The point is that they didn't have to "suddenly become babies" for the stuff swirling around to be true. It could be that they've always disliked it and have slowly, gradually, over time reached their "I'm not going to take it anymore" point. And yes, if they really have gotten there then it is time to go.
Could be the case with those guys.

I imagine most of them don't like it but it's the price they have to pay to win. This reminds me of that Eagles player who recently said he'd rather win one Super Bowl and spend the rest of his career having "fun" playing the game vs. busting his ass year-in and year-out. That probably is how most NFL players view their jobs.

Not

Back in 2016

What would it take to convince you that Gronk is unhappy with his contract?

You decided to reach back to a 2016 story to respond to my point about what's happening in 2018. How the hell did you think, for even a split second, that your response was going to be anything but a ridiculously inapt one?

I will reserve my final thoughts on Gronk until I here from him directly. Remember this is a ESPN article.

If he wants a more casual setting then see you later. This setting is why we win. I am an older fan and sat through with anguish over the casual setting teams. Rooting for first downs truly sucks.

Also if that is his mentality and he is causing a stir behind the scenes then he must go now. Talent is great, but team chemistry can make or break a long grueling season. A superstar malcontent can become a cancer

That being said Gronk has always been a leader and beast. So I wonder how much this has been overblown. I truly believe we will see Gronk again this year. Just like the Gronk we know and love

If he wants a more casual setting then see you later. This setting is why we win.

No, it's not, as other teams winning with different settings makes abundantly clear. The Patriots win because:

BB + Brady = Greatest pairing in (at least) modern NFL history

You decided to reach back to a 2016 story to respond to my point about what's happening in 2018. How the hell did you think, for even a split second, that your response was going to be anything but a ridiculously inapt one?

Well, I was certain it would be for you, but not those that see reality.

A timeline is helpful in these circumstances. Gronk was unhappy 2 years ago. Gronk is unhappy now. Let me ask you a question. Is Gronk breaking his contract if he retires?

Ya know, becoming FREE?

No, it's not, as other teams winning with different settings makes abundantly clear. The Patriots win because:

BB + Brady = Greatest pairing in (at least) modern NFL history

And a salary cap structure like no other team.

The Eagles are not there every year. The Seahawks either. The Steelers are fighting with Bell.

Well, I was certain it would be for you, but not those that see reality.

The notion that you have a more realistic approach and understanding of this team than I do is a laughable one.

A timeline is helpful in these circumstances. Gronk was unhappy 2 years ago. Gronk is unhappy now. Let me ask you a question. Is Gronk breaking his contract if he retires?

Ya know, becoming FREE?

What did, or did not, happen two years ago is completely irrelevant to what I'd posted.

Belichick is playing the game.

Gronk - either pay me more or I will retire and go to WWE.

Belichick - fine, we will trade you.

If Gonk is traded, I will bet that he suddenly changes his mind about retiring assuming he cashes in.

The notion that you have a more realistic approach and understanding of this team than I do is a laughable one.

What did, or did not, happen two years ago is completely irrelevant to what I'd posted.

Ya, I always read you when I want the pulse of the team.

You never answered my question. Again, would Gonk break his contract if he retires? Gonk is on the same contract 2 years ago that he is on till 2019.

And a salary cap structure like no other team.

The Eagles are not there every year. The Seahawks either. The Steelers are fighting with Bell.

No team is there every year. The Patriots get there more than any other team in the modern era.

BB + Brady
  1. Brady has been the team's starting QB for 16 seasons. The team has made the playoffs in 15 of them, and has made the AFCCG in 12 of those 16 years.
  2. BB has been the head coach of the Patriots for 2 seasons where Brady was not his QB. The Patriots did not make the playoffs in either of those seasons.
  3. BB was the head coach of the Browns for 5 seasons. The Browns made the playoffs once.
  4. BB has been the head coach of a Brady QB'd team for 16 seasons. He's missed the playoffs in only one of those 16 seasons.
  5. BB has been the head coach of a non-Brady QB'd team for 7 seasons. He's made the playoffs in only one of those 7 seasons.

Ya, I always read you when I want the pulse of the team.

You never answered my question. Again, would Gonk break his contract if he retires? Gonk is on the same contract 2 years ago that he is on till 2019.

How would retirement break his contract?

Evidently Gonk thinks he is the driving force and wants more money. What else is there to complain about?

A homer is all about hero worship. That might be you, but its definitely not me. Gronk can pack up his drama and go. The act has worn thin. A public feud of playing hardball about money with BB never turns out well.

it's you....homer has nothing to do with hero worship

hardball played out great for Butler and Solder

like I said, good luck replacing gronk

Last edited:
Belichick is playing the game.

Gronk - either pay me more or I will retire and go to WWE.

Belichick - fine, we will trade you.

If Gonk is traded, I will bet that he suddenly changes his mind about retiring assuming he cashes in.
Belichick has never even hinted at an implication of trading Gronk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back