PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN's Darlington: Gronk "frustrated" with BB; likely to play for NE if Brady is there

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
ESPN, yadda yadda yadda

Gronkowski still hasn't made a decision, but despite serious considerations since the end of the season of retiring because of physical and mental fatigue, sources say Gronkowski is "pretty certain" he'll come back as long as Tom Brady remains with the team.

However, this dose of good news for Patriots fans comes with some dilution: Lingering frustrations remain between Gronkowski and head coach Bill Belichick, along with others in the Patriots organization, according to sources close to each side. Whether those frustrations on either side will impact Gronkowski's return to the team remains the final piece to this unfinished puzzle.

For Gronkowski, the physical anguish of the 2017 season, which led him late in the regular season to tell people that he was likely to retire, was paired with some mental fatigue from the high-strung culture within the Patriots organization, sources said. Nothing has occurred since the end of the season to convince him that is going to change

Gronk 'pretty certain' he'll return, sources say

Seems reasonable to me. Usually I side with players but I'm assuming this is all over that snake oil salesman and the TB12 brand, to say nothing of Gronk's own branding, so making it mighty hard to do that.

Extreme amounts of uncertainty and drama permeated the organization in 2017.
-the future at QB
-the future of the coordinators
-Butler
-Guerrero
-Brady vs BB vs Kraft
-Media hyperventilation
-Premium talent jettisoned / Record $$$$ free agent signed
Factor in Gronk's reality ===>extreme talent /injury risk.....leading to year by year contract adjustments only
Factor in the reality that Rosenhaus is playing the leverage game with NE to secure incremental gains for his client....aka....manufactured drama

The good news....much of the 2017 drama has been removed and or dealt with.
Sure...the contract game will always be played....and the media will always stir the pot.
And given Brady/BB's age, the media will play up the retirement angle ad nauseum.
But...much of the "team" crap no longer exists. The 'in the locker room' drama should be minimized.
I suspect the organization will placate Gronk in terms of allowing him more control over his training/rehab methods

Regarding Gronk's future......my two cents ====> If Gronk was seriously thinking of exiting the NFL, his agent wouldn't be attempting to leverage more dollars from NE.
Bit parts in crappy Hollywood films pay a fraction of what he will earn during the prime of his contract. And once he departs the NFL, his celebrity value diminishes. The Gronk may think he will be the next Rock or Arnold....or the next WWE carnival act....but...
Solid guidance from his handlers would be....don't burn one bridge until your path forward is secure.

OT: Personally.....I hope Brady and his handlers choose a more subtle approach in 2018 when marketing the man / the myth. Sure, he deserves all the accolades....but....this approach can suck an awful lot of air out of that locker room.
24/7 TB12 must get old for the other 52.

I feel like not only do we need to find the future at QB this year we need Gronks replacement as well.
If BB and Gronk can't get on the same page then trade Gronk out of the conference to the highest bidder.
That's where I am right now.
He is a beast and is awesome but we can't have him pissing on everything BB built and believes in.

I feel like not only do we need to find the future at QB this year we need Gronks replacement as well.
If BB and Gronk can't get on the same page then trade Gronk out of the conference to the highest bidder.
That's where I am right now.
He is a beast and is awesome but we can't have him pissing on everything BB built and believes in.
If I could of made the decision I would of made the unpopular one and traded TB to the Niners.
Now we are trying to find a future QB who may need to be ready as early as 2019.

If I could of made the decision I would of made the unpopular one and traded TB to the Niners.
Now we are trying to find a future QB who may need to be ready as early as 2019.
You can use whatever time frame you want. Who do you think is more likely to win a Super Bowl the Patriots and the small window that remains in TB12s career or the 49ers and their potential long term with Jimmy G?

I still say 2-3 years of TB12 here offer a better chance than 10± of Jimmy would have given you.

The cynical part of me can’t help but wonder if $3-$5m added to his contract in makeable incentives would put some ‘fun’ back in rhe game for Gronk even with mean ol' Coach Grumpy presiding over the sandbox. Nothing says you're loved and appreciated quite like some long green.

The cynical part of me can’t help but wonder if $3-$5m added to his contract in makeable incentives would put some ‘fun’ back in rhe game for Gronk even with mean ol' Coach Grumpy presiding over the sandbox. Nothing says you're loved and appreciated quite like some long green.
Money talks but this seems deeper than just some green. Which could be good or bad. If it were just money than you could pay him and it's over. But if it's not money then he just needs to either force a trade but doesn't sound like he wants to leave TB12s side or decide between retiring and playing for Bill again with new money not being a huge factor. And it sounds like he's pretty much decided he's not retiring or leaving TB12. Hopefully BB doesn't trade him.

I think Gronk is somewhat spoiled. There are plenty of guys ( thinking of Joe Thomas types) who have never even sniffed the playoffs, let alone being annual participants in the AFCCG who I am sure would love to be similarly 'frustrated'. You don't like the way Belichick runs his team? Guess what, it works* ( * ignoring the elephant in the room Butler/SB52) and that is why you have 2 rings and a shot at another one annually... There may be places that are a lot more fun places to be and they usually have tee times set up for the first week in January and high draft choices.....

Money talks but this seems deeper than just some green. Which could be good or bad. If it were just money than you could pay him and it's over. But if it's not money then he just needs to either force a trade but doesn't sound like he wants to leave TB12s side or decide between retiring and playing for Bill again with new money not being a huge factor. And it sounds like he's pretty much decided he's not retiring or leaving TB12. Hopefully BB doesn't trade him.

Money may not be able to buy happiness but it can get you a big enough boat to let you tie up right alongside. And can absolutely rent all the fun you might ever need.

(I am saying this half tongue in cheek of course. Let's keep in mind this is sports we are talking about and have a little fun with it from time to time)

It will be interesting to see if Gronk gets traded. Belichick himself said he only wants to coach guys who want to be here...

I don't think this is about money. He can probably make more money doing WWE or something.

I think Gronk is somewhat spoiled. There are plenty of guys ( thinking of Joe Thomas types) who have never even sniffed the playoffs, let alone being annual participants in the AFCCG who I am sure would love to be similarly 'frustrated'. You don't like the way Belichick runs his team? Guess what, it works* ( * ignoring the elephant in the room Butler/SB52) and that is why you have 2 rings and a shot at another one annually... There may be places that are a lot more fun places to be and they usually have tee times set up for the first week in January and high draft choices.....
People can say what they want about the Browns, but financially they always went out of there way to take care of Joe Thomas. They weren't putting him on heavily incentive based contracts.

He was also a glorified at a position that doesn't typically get much attention. If they were a Super Bowl team we'd be talking about the QB, a WR, maybe a good pass rusher or cornerback. He got the benefit of being a big fish in a small pond. Gronk might be the greatest of all time at his position, but he's distinctly behind the coach and QB who are the greatest of all time at their respective roles. On another team, Gronk is treated like Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson to name some more recent players. Joe Thomas is sort of in that category.

Also Joe Thomas had a career that was relatively injury free. Gronk has people targeting him and he gets injured a lot. It's a mentally draining experience to have to sit down, recover, and work hard to get back to where you were at. To give some perspective, Joe Thomas had one major injury his whole career..... and retired right after.

Yes Gronk had more playoff success because of his team, but I wouldn't exactly pretend they had similar careers to talk about how one was happier than the other despite less success. And deep down, I think Gronk has to look at it like "they won 3 Super Bowls before I got here, went to another, then they went to 4 while I was here, lost 2 of those, won one with me injured, and then only got one title with me playing, I'm not getting the credit Brady and Belichick will get".

I don't think this is about money. He can probably make more money doing WWE or something.
Idk how much they would pay him, but he'd have to work significantly more than he's used to to earn whatever he makes in the NFL. He's not getting paid like Brock Lesnar and Ronda Rousey who were world class ppv draws in the UFC and were getting buyrates in the millions before ever coming to WWE.

He could make a lot more in Hollywood, but that's a big if. I can't see him being a Rock or Arnold.

Call me skeptical, but I still don't fully believe all of this stuff. I get the contemplating retirement thing after a tough SB loss and the concussion the week before. But I can't imagine he is that unhappy, money or otherwise. I have a hard time buying in to the drama with BB and everyone else. The only thing that I can get on board with is the CTE angle and guys thinking about retirement early rather than too late.

Robert Kraft claims Gronk is the happiest guy he's ever met.
So what is the truth Gronk is gritting his teeth to deal with BB or he's on cloud 9 and loves everybody and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back