PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN rumor/speculation about Greg Olsen to potentially New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because people actually working in the NFL are apparently talking about this at the combine. Nobody outside of ESPN was talking about Moss to Dallas.

The thing is both are rumors, the thing is this favors the Pats more so people arnt hating ESPN for reporting it haha. Who else is reporting that the Pats and Bengals are involved?

The ESPN article was up before the tweet. On a side note, where do these rumors actually come from?
I've still not seen ESPN's article. As to rumors, there was something to do with Olsen last Fall, so this could be a ploy by the team to drum up interest in him, a ploy by the agent to get people talking to Chicago so he can go elsewhere or a bid to get a new contract, or it could have just been gas in the restroom cutting out a key word here and there...

I'm surprised that Chicago would want to trade him. But I completely agree with Martz on this point.

Personally, I don't want Olsen enough to surrender a second round pick. As I'd said before, I would rather take a chance on either Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham in the draft. Regardless, if Martz wants Olsen to block, Belichick will want Olsen to block too. So, why would Olsen's agent want him with New England? He wouldn't...

Tight end Greg Olsen led the Bears with 60 catches and eight receiving touchdowns in 2009, but Martz suggested that Olsen will need to focus primarily on blocking in 2010.

"All tight ends, their first responsibility, they have to put their hand down on the line of scrimmage and be a successful blocker, and then they move to receiving," Martz said. "To just skip by that and say, 'He's a terrific receiver,' well, then you might as well just put another wide receiver in there."

Martz on Cutler: "I didn't see Jay as being difficult to deal with" | ProFootballTalk.com

The trading block rumors may have even originated from Olsen and agent Drew Rosenhaus, who obviously see the writing on the wall in Mike Martz's offense. The Pats could inject some life back into their passing game by nabbing Olsen, and they have the spare second-rounder to pull it off. It remains to be seen if there is Patriots interest behind the rumors, though.

Fantasy Football, Baseball and Basketball - draft guide, news, projections, cheatsheets, depth charts and more. Rotoworld.com

POSITIVES: Athletic prospect who flashes brilliance yet does not show much consistency. Quick releasing off the line, fluid into routes and immediately gets to top speed. Finds the clearing in the defense, makes himself an available target and extends to catch the ball.

NEGATIVES: Not physical as a blocker and leans on opponents. Easily brought down at the point of attack running after the reception. Does not show a lot of playing strength.

ANALYSIS: Olsen is a solid prospect for the next level who needs to show more on the field. A tremendous athlete with great upside but needs to develop his game.

PROJECTION: Late First Round

SI.com - 2007 NFL Draft - Greg Olsen

Update from Bears Owner says Olsen is going NOWHERE

Not sure why the Pats would want him considering they don't use the TE to catch the ball.........maybe they will when it finally hits them that Randy is the only REAL WR on the team, with Edleman coming on...other than that I see sawdust.

If they aren't going to throw the ball to the TE then they should just keep drafting chumps and getting chumps in FA.....no need for a pass catcher.

Update from Bears Owner says Olsen is going NOWHERE

Looks like the Rumor was

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................a rumor:eek:

Looks like the Rumor was

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................a rumor:eek:

Between all the Peppers and Olsens and Dansbys rumors and speculations im goin just a lilll bit carazy.

The thing is both are rumors, the thing is this favors the Pats more so people arnt hating ESPN for reporting it haha. Who else is reporting that the Pats and Bengals are involved?

Not sure what is so hard to understand about this. One is a rumor that people in the NFL were actually talking about. The other one was a rumor that only an ESPN Insider writer was talking about. Therefore, one has more ground to stand on than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes