PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN rumor/speculation about Greg Olsen to potentially New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. He was a serviciable #1/# 2 TE with nice hands. Good valve for Brady too

he can manhandle most 4-3 DE's and rag-dolls 3-4 OLB's......and demands accounting in the passing game......thats all you need

But we don't really use TE in our offence that much. Is it because of our scheme or our TE's suck ?? :bricks:

I think it's a combo of both. Graham and Watson never lived up to their first round billing, and let's face it, Brady always looks for the open receiver, and neither of those guys got open enough to become big factors in the Pats offense, therefore, never were keys in the offense. The only season I remember, was 2006 when we had terrible receivers, and Brady keyed on Watson (like he does Moss). Watson had his best season.

I miss that Brady.

Its the same Brady still it is just that the last few years Moss and Welker have been open more than 50% of the time so he never gets past them.

I just read a grumbling somewhere that the broncos may cut graham since he don't fit the mcdaniel system

I would take graham back in a heartbeat......when he left, so did any toughness the pats offense used to have

I would take Graham back as well. On top of that, I would still pay him what the Broncos have paid him. Not sure if I could agree with the last sentence. There have been a lot of factors that have contributed to the Pats moving away from a "smashmouth" type of offense to the finesse offense that you see today. Graham's loss was just one of those reasons.

I would take Graham back as well. On top of that, I would still pay him what the Broncos have paid him. Not sure if I could agree with the last sentence. There have been a lot of factors that have contributed to the Pats moving away from a "smashmouth" type of offense to the finesse offense that you see today. Graham's loss was just one of those reasons.

I'm surprised by the rumor of DG not fitting in the Denver system. My understanding is that the Denver O and Pats O are very similar schematically. I think the underlying issue may be his $3.8m 2010 and $4.2m salary in 2011.

Regardless, love Dan Graham. Thought he was an inconsistient receiver, but has tremendous value in the blocking game. However, I would not pay him what the Broncos did in 2007. He'll be 32 in Nov. Not sure hes worth the same dollars on the market as he was 3 years ago.

Last edited:
As a Miami Hurricanes fan, I just feel like this would be a downgrade to Watson. He is a great receiving TE, but not a real WR or a real TE.

I miss that Brady.

This "oh, Brady locks on to Welker and Moss and as a result our offensive production has suffered" is the most ridiculous myth the 07 Superbowl and the 09 season have perpetuated.

"That" Brady had a very average receiving core, with all the guys (Troy, Branch, Givens, Patten, Graham, etc.) having a similar level of talent. "This" Brady had Moss, Welker, Galloway, Aiken, Edelman, Watson and Baker. That's a pretty significant dropoff after the first two. I mean, who would you look for first? Let's not forget that Brady spread the ball around a ton in 2007 when the talent discrepancy wasn't so blatant.

Greg Olsen would undoubtebly make this team better, even as a weak blocker. I just don't know if the asking price would make it a viable option.

Heres the latest...

Fantasy Football, Baseball and Basketball - draft guide, news, projections, cheatsheets, depth charts and more. Rotoworld.com

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Greg Bedard, the loudest Combine chatter of late has been that Bears TE Greg Olsen is on the block.
One rumor making the rounds had Olsen going to the Pats for one of the team's three second-round picks. Olsen's skills are a poor fit for Mike Martz's offense and the Bears don't have an early-round pick this year, so the chatter makes sense on the surface. The Bears could then pursue Brandon Manumaleuna as a blocking tight end.

How do you guys feel giving up a 2nd round pick? Personally for me I dont no if the Pats dont use their TE's enough due to system reasons or the player just isnt that good so I dont know about a 2nd round pick. I probably would though...

Heres the latest...

Fantasy Football, Baseball and Basketball - draft guide, news, projections, cheatsheets, depth charts and more. Rotoworld.com

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Greg Bedard, the loudest Combine chatter of late has been that Bears TE Greg Olsen is on the block.
One rumor making the rounds had Olsen going to the Pats for one of the team's three second-round picks. Olsen's skills are a poor fit for Mike Martz's offense and the Bears don't have an early-round pick this year, so the chatter makes sense on the surface. The Bears could then pursue Brandon Manumaleuna as a blocking tight end.

How do you guys feel giving up a 2nd round pick? Personally for me I dont no if the Pats dont use their TE's enough due to system reasons or the player just isnt that good so I dont know about a 2nd round pick. I probably would though...

As of right now, Without WW and a #2 opposite Moss, I truly feel that the team needs a short-range target for Brady to throw to. Olsen is a nice target, but based on what I have read here and other places, he has a tough time blocking both in the passing game and the running game.

With that said, I think he'd be a good fit for the team but a 2rd rounder seems a tad high IMO.

Last edited:
Heres the latest...

Given that Baker is the only real TE on the team right now I just feel like the Pats are going to use one of their first 4 picks on a TE anyway so I have no problem if they send a 2nd round pick (hopefully our last one) to Chicago for Olsen.

Given that Baker is the only real TE on the team right now I just feel like the Pats are going to use one of their first 4 picks on a TE anyway so I have no problem if they send a 2nd round pick (hopefully our last one) to Chicago for Olsen.

I'm sold if it can be our last 2nd round pick or even a later pick. He really isn't making that much money, is young, put up good numbers and can rap. Bring in G-REG.

I'm sold if it can be our last 2nd round pick or even a later pick. He really isn't making that much money, is young, put up good numbers and can rap. Bring in G-REG.

I am not sure it would really work for any other pick that our late two. We don't have a 3 and he would seem to be worth more than 4 on the trade market. With the depth of this draft I wouldn't want to give up one of the higher 2nd rd picks.

I would be OK with that though I think the fear is that plenty of players more talented will be picked around the area of our last 2 but there is also a risk that despite the talent in this draft that pick could bust and I think we certainly know what Olsen offers at this point in his career and with Baker as a blocking TE and Watson likely gone this would be a decent move.

I think if Olsen were a FA agent we would all love the idea of him replacing Watson but I think most would also just assume re-sign Watson and save the pick.

Ben Coates was pretty productive here under Ray Perkins - who was essentially Weis' mentor here for 4 years, who in turn was McDaneils' mentor. The Pats still run the same system, though obviously it has evolved over the last 15 years. In 2006, Watson was featured as much, or perhaps even more so, than any WR on the team. Obviously it wasn't a huge success, but it goes against the whole concept of "the Pats don't use TEs". Give them a good TE and they'll adjust the system to use the heck out of him.

That said, I would not give up a 2nd round pick in this year's draft for Olsen. I would give up next year's 2nd rounder though.

Its funny how the last espn rumor on here was met with deep distaste but this one is ok.

Heres the latest...

I would do it. Olsen is a good receiving TE who could work with Dante on his blocking technique and would also alleviate the need for a big bodied, over the middle threat. On top of that, he would ease any uncertainty about Welker's recovery.

Its funny how the last espn rumor on here was met with deep distaste but this one is ok.

I'm assuming that you're referring to the "Moss to Dallas" thread. That rumor was pure baseless speculation. This one appears to have a foundation under it. Normally I'm all for the pointing and laughing in those situations, but this doesn't appear to be one of them.

I'm assuming that you're referring to the "Moss to Dallas" thread. That rumor was pure baseless speculation. This one appears to have a foundation under it. Normally I'm all for the pointing and laughing in those situations, but this doesn't appear to be one of them.
How does this have more of a foundation under it than the Moss article?
ESPN owns the Milwaukee paper? :confused:
That article was written by the Milwaukee paper?:confused:

How does this have more of a foundation under it than the Moss article?

That article was written by the Milwaukee paper?:confused:

Because people actually working in the NFL are apparently talking about this at the combine. Nobody outside of ESPN was talking about Moss to Dallas.

I would do it. Olsen is a good receiving TE who could work with Dante on his blocking technique and would also alleviate the need for a big bodied, over the middle threat. On top of that, he would ease any uncertainty about Welker's recovery.

Yeah having Olsen work over the middle will help a little with the uncertainty of Welkers timetable return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back