PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN reporting Colts - Manning divorce to be announced Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am optimistic with the return of Kevin Faulk this year. Yes, he took a roster spot and may not have been an upgrade at the position, but I expect not every member of the active roster reasonably expects to see playing time (yes, everyone needs to be ready to play if called upon).

The question down the road is does TB demand top dollar when his abilities no longer support the payment. Breaking the bank based on history is not likely to be in the cards for BB, nor would that benefit the team. I hope that day does not come, and TB strides gracefully into the twilight of his career when his skills start to slip.

That's always the iffy thing.. too many elite athletes overstay their welcome or overvalue their ability to stay around, and try a comeback or two, a.k.a. Jordan and the Wizards.

I just hope that Brady retires a Patriot. That sure would be nice. That way, he'd always be one of ours.

a healthy manning with brandon marshall,hartline,bess,bush and possibly reggie wayne would make miami really scary on offense.:(

Teams often draft and sign players who can't pass some level of physical. Manning passed a comprehensive physical based on the three top neurosurgeons in the field examining him and determining he is fit to play and in no additional danger than any other player of being injured further as a result of his fusion procedure weeks ago. It fused... The only question now is can he still make all the throws and make them in volume without experiencing numbness due to lack of nerve regeneration. Noodle couldn't throw with velocity when he came back in NY and Miami, but he was cleared to play... Teams debating signing Manning will be looking at that and projecting whether he will continue to improve or not and any deal he signs will factor that in. He's already indicated he is willing to work with potential suitors to structure a deal that pays him if he can and limits their financial risk if he can't. Sharing the risk/reward.

i think a smart move for peyton , if he is healthy, would be to sign a 1 year contract somewhere

that gives himself a year to prove he's back to normal, and then he hits FA yet again

then again, that only works if some team doesn't just go balls out and offer a crapton of money

Do we still have a rivalry with the Colts now that Peyton and Polian are out of the picture?

It will be interesting to see how quickly Manning signs. Will he sign before the start of free agency and allow his new team to make moves accordingly, or will it take longer than that and leave teams on the hook waiting for his decision?

LeBron is probably cringing at the thought of a Peyton Manning version of "the decision".

Manning to Irsay yesterday:

"Jim I'm going in to take a nap.
When I wake, if the money's on the table,
I'll know I have a partner. If it isn't, I'll know I don't."

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how quickly Manning signs. Will he sign before the start of free agency and allow his new team to make moves accordingly, or will it take longer than that and leave teams on the hook waiting for his decision?

LeBron is probably cringing at the thought of a Peyton Manning version of "the decision".

I'd be shocked if he signed early considering he's still got some healing to do and his health status is still somewhat of a question mark. It doesn't make sense for a team to take such a huge gamble now and it doesn't make sense for him to sign before he can prove to everyone he is unequivocally healthy since the uncertainty would be priced in.

Last edited:
I feel like if manning plays at all in 2012, he will has his worst year. you dont just take an entire year off from football and come back into a new system with new players and produce. this is overlooked constantly, the team who brings him in will pay a boatload of money and get sub-manning production, honestly anyone who thinks Peyton will be able to compete offensively with Brady, Brees, Rodgers or even Eli is out of their mind, they have been in their respective systems forever and know their Lines and Recievers like the back of their hand.

I feel like if manning plays at all in 2012, he will has his worst year. you dont just take an entire year off from football and come back into a new system with new players and produce. this is overlooked constantly, the team who brings him in will pay a boatload of money and get sub-manning production, honestly anyone who thinks Peyton will be able to compete offensively with Brady, Brees, Rodgers or even Eli is out of their mind, they have been in their respective systems forever and know their Lines and Recievers like the back of their hand.

i agree, even healthy, a year off + new team, that is going to be rough

lucky for him this wasn't the lockout offseason, so if anything, he's got that going for him

Manning to Irsay yesterday:

"Jim I'm going in to take a nap.
When I wake, if the money's on the table,
I'll know I have a partner. If it isn't, I'll know I don't."

You just reminded me that i need to rewatch those movies.

Anyways...does anybody actually expect Manning to play at an elite level? I thought he was showing decline back in 2010 already and what happens when he starts taking hits?

He's done and should retire imo. Pretty sure none of the Colts fans want to see #18 in another uniform aswell.

I'd be shocked if he signed early considering he's still got some healing to do and his health status is still somewhat of a question mark. It doesn't make sense for a team to take such a huge gamble now and it doesn't make sense for him to sign before he can prove to everyone he is unequivocally healthy since the uncertainty would be priced in.

Manning will only go to a team willing to roll the dice and back his play. He's already let the suitors know that he will work with them on a deal that protects their financial interest. Probably heavily incentivized. He wouldn't do that for Indy because they were using the #1 draft pick to secure his replacement rather than to build a better team around him. He and they will want to be into the playbook and reshaping it and the roster before the draft. That frees some of them up from using a #1 on a crapshoot QB (those behind Luck and RGIII who will be gone in the first 2-3 picks. And frees them up from rolling the dice on former backups who seldom pan out. It's a risk, but it always is and the potential reward is keeping your job as a HC or GM which might be on the line at the end of 2012 anyway if you don't do something. Remember, the teams in the hunt don't believe they have a franchise QB on the roster. And even if you had a developmental prospect you thought might have a shot, that guy can sit behind a Manning while Luck couldn't. Which is why the JAGS and Titans should be in the hunt, but they may be too stupid to be.

So...they are announcing today that the announcement they are making right now will be announced until tomorrow?

How else would their audience know to be watching at 'noon tomorrow...

Manning will only go to a team willing to roll the dice and back his play. He's already let the suitors know that he will work with them on a deal that protects their financial interest. Probably heavily incentivized. He wouldn't do that for Indy because they were using the #1 draft pick to secure his replacement rather than to build a better team around him. He and they will want to be into the playbook and reshaping it and the roster before the draft. That frees some of them up from using a #1 on a crapshoot QB (those behind Luck and RGIII who will be gone in the first 2-3 picks. And frees them up from rolling the dice on former backups who seldom pan out. It's a risk, but it always is and the potential reward is keeping your job as a HC or GM which might be on the line at the end of 2012 anyway if you don't do something. Remember, the teams in the hunt don't believe they have a franchise QB on the roster. And even if you had a developmental prospect you thought might have a shot, that guy can sit behind a Manning while Luck couldn't. Which is why the JAGS and Titans should be in the hunt, but they may be too stupid to be.

I'm here to eat my crow on the Manning situation, Mo.

I'll have to admit, I was wrong on all accounts, and you had it pegged a couple of months ago.

I really thought there was actually a chance that the Colts would keep him for another couple/few yrs. Of course in my defense, the situation was far from shaping into what we've seen it come to in the last 2 months...but wrong is wrong.

Good call, buddy, good call.

I still think they're taking quite a chance with the supposed QB of the future in Luck, but only time will tell how that works out.

You just reminded me that i need to rewatch those movies.

Anyways...does anybody actually expect Manning to play at an elite level? I thought he was showing decline back in 2010 already and what happens when he starts taking hits?

He's done and should retire imo. Pretty sure none of the Colts fans want to see #18 in another uniform aswell.

Yeah, he only threw for the most yards in his career in 2010, and for the third time for the second most TD's in his career and had the most attempts in his career and his completion % remained above career average in the process. That team was crumbling around him. That's the real reason why it went 2-14 in 2011. And the reason why Polian got fired before the next #1 QB reports. He's going to struggle at least as much as Manning did in his rookie season, maybe more, because for the last 4-5 years Polian had been drafting badly, drafting for need and missing, gobbling up UDFA's to fill out the roster and overpaying for a handful of veteran talent he couldn't replace.

Manning's docs say he is no more susceptible to hits than any player. He will be rusty for sure, and may have a mental hump to get past as Tom and any injured player does, but he is motivated - seemingly driven - to prove those who are writing him off are wrong. The nerves seem to be coming along, if he didn't believe they were he wouldn't keep at it. He will have to adjust to a whole new setting, and he's anal so that will be tough. That's why it won't be about the money, it will be about the situation and what they are prepared to do (adapt to him vs. him adapting to them, getting him some comfort pieces, existing talent on offense and defense, etc.). He's not coming back to lose. He could have stayed in Indy and done that for half a season at least...

Peyton will earn respect if he chooses to face a potentially loaded Pats team with Brady 2x a year, rather than go to the NFC West. It just doesn't make sense for him to go to the Dolphins.

I never thought in my life he would leave the colts..just like tom brady...brees now ect..wow

We all saw it coming..but 3 years ago all of us though he would be a colt for life

There goes the pats-colts rivalry

Very very unique circumstances have brought about Manning's exit. If there is no Andrew Luck in this draft the Colts are bringing Manning and his bad neck back to Indy for 28 million.

My money is on Arizona by a healthy margin. Don't think he would want to finish behind Brady every year in Miami.

Plus they have a covered stadium.

if peyton indeed can pass a physical.....i think jets makes the most sense for him.

2 mannings in NY? (even though they play in jersey) i mean that right there just ups his endorsment cash

he sets up a potential manning vs manning superbowl, and he gets to play brady twice a year.

what could be better in his mind, aside from the nfc west and a much easier path to the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes