PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: "Don't be surprised if Bill Belichick doesn't last the season."

Status
Not open for further replies.
You tell us, lawyer, with lawyer husband. :)

Quite a signature statement you have there now.

Well, we both practice corporate law, so libel ain't our gig. I took the bar six years ago, so the memory isn't exactly fresh!

I think stating it as your opinion could be a defense to defamation. The other thing is there is so much BS out there, how could you even narrow down who to sue?

But, geez, if I were Bill, I'd want my lawyer to at least throw out the word.

wow.....all those words from Easterbrook .....never seen anyone use so many useless words to make a point......with his love of HIS words....He should be a regular on "The View" tv show..He probably enjoys listening to himself talk too...

Not as much journalism per se, but the way the Internet has changed things. The line between legitimate reporting and off-the-cuff opinionating has been blurred via "blogging." It's no wonder people are confused and upset by what they read. It used to be a reporter's job to separate wheat from chaff and present us with the facts. Now, the reader has to sort through a lot of garbage to discern substance and meaning, and it's a royal pain in the arse. Then "immediacy" aspect of the Internet is the primary culprit.

I beg to differ. It's ESPN and their ilk, television media that is the example I was referring to. Estabrook writes a column, something that existed long before 'blogging' by independants. In fact, I believe that blogs have tended to expose media inaccuracies. That being said, your point about having to sift through massive internet garbage is valid.

I don't watch ANY football commentary ever because there is much more perceptive analysis and thoughtful rebuttal on sites like this...once you filter out all the inane noise.

Last edited:
Yes that was him. The exact quote is as follows... it seems ESPN was simply hoping time would make people forget... anyway...

"Disney's CEO, Michael Eisner, is Jewish; the chief of Miramax, Harvey Weinstein, is Jewish. Yes, there are plenty of Christian and other Hollywood executives who worship money above all else, promoting for profit the adulation of violence. Does that make it right for Jewish executives to worship money above all else, by promoting for profit the adulation of violence? Recent European history alone ought to cause Jewish executives to experience second thoughts about glorifying the killing of the helpless as a fun lifestyle choice." - Gregg Easterbrook

Ummmmm, he's also a senior Editor for The New Republic, that wonderful rag that has brought us the Steven Glass fabrications, the Ruth Shalit plagiarism deal and most recently, the debunked Scott Thomas Beauchamp Iraq soldier story.

Yeah, it's kinda clea to me........... both through his personal writings and professional associations, that Journalistic Integrity is not the highest priority when he puts pen to paper.

And have people complained to ESPN about him?

I guess they don't care as long as people read him?

I am done with ESPN.

This guy isn't exactly oozing credibility. :rolleyes:

I've loved TMQ for the last couple of years, and Easterbrook, with his wry sense of humor and cultural material has really entertained me. I looked forward to reading his column this week, and when I started reading it I was sorry that he was "kinda" ill informed of the situation and overlooked a lot of facts to continue dumping on Belichick. I was not going to stop reading his articles because of this faux pas, and actually finished all of this particular one. I don't know if I can continue on with this, though. He's crossed the line, and that article from '03 is appalling.

I mean, how can any self respecting human being insult Pulp Fiction?

A load of horse crap. I WON'T watch ESPN again other than for MNF when its the Pats.

Last edited:
Looks like it got plenty of readers. Why bother dignifying that type of article by reading it. They're just selling clicks and ad views.

Really this is one of the most important statements here. This is the total truth. We all know it. We argue that they should not write such things, and we VOTE for them when we click on them. The internet is not a reasonable place, where good prevails. It is a click driven environment that grows and expands where ever you click.

whats funny is that they all leave out you can tape the signals in the press box with a roof over it , so you can get the signals that way, thats not cheating, but if you get the samr sidnals on the sidelined thats cheating , makes no sense , its a pure violation of a rule, how is it cheating if everyone can get the same info, to me it sounds like just a issue of where you can film it, thats the crux of the whole situation

I don't see an equivalency between killing dogs and taping signs during a game, nor do I see an equivalent organization to PITA and the animal rights folks that will be able to stir up sufficient public outrage on behalf of the poor coaches to get BB fired. Maybe Victims of Voyeurism, but I'm not sure how much pull they have. Most Pats fans don't give a cr@p and those are the only opinions that matter.

There is no comparison between those things that you listed. But, there is a comparison between someone getting crushed by the mob in each event. The mob rule is intoxicating to some. The internet is perfect for it. Hords of people can say things that are completely false, and can ruin someone's reputation. Hunkering down, and don't click on these stories is really one of the best things you can do. If you think Reason will work, I am affraid you have something to learn. Almost by definition, these people are unreasonable.

"Disney's CEO, Michael Eisner, is Jewish; the chief of Miramax, Harvey Weinstein, is Jewish. Yes, there are plenty of Christian and other Hollywood executives who worship money above all else, promoting for profit the adulation of violence. Does that make it right for Jewish executives to worship money above all else, by promoting for profit the adulation of violence? Recent European history alone ought to cause Jewish executives to experience second thoughts about glorifying the killing of the helpless as a fun lifestyle choice." - Gregg Easterbrook

Toss in the oft-repeated phrase "the cheap, Jew owner Kraft" and there's the next post by one of this forum's regulars.

Honestly, isn't this starting to get a wee bit into "libel" territory?

I think so. It will be interesting to see how far it all goes. They actually may be testing the limits like little children do. The internet is so young, the growth is amazing, we will see how far they go.

There is no comparison between those things that you listed. But, there is a comparison between someone getting crushed by the mob in each event. The mob rule is intoxicating to some. The internet is perfect for it. Hords of people can say things that are completely false, and can ruin someone's reputation.

You mean Rich Cimini was wrong and BB didn't say that thing about Kerry Rhodes? ;)

Yes that was him. The exact quote is as follows... it seems ESPN was simply hoping time would make people forget... anyway...

Wow. This guy probably does not like Kraft very much eh?

Dear Mr. Easterbrook,

Don't you think D Coords change their signals often?

If you don't, you're an imbecile.

You could have added that Ted Cottrell doesn't have the best record of suceess in the NFL, to put it kindly.

(Sigh.) Here's another writer I have to add to my blacklist. I already hated reading Mortenson and Clayton, but I did enjoy TMQ and Peter King sometimes.

At least it will be good to have some more time on my hands for posting on PatsFans...

Put this in the same category as all the talking heads who like to say things like "Don't be surprised if the Cardinals win the Super Bowl" each year trying to be the one guy to pick the dark horse.

If they're right, they'll remind everyone... when they're wrong, one will never hear about it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back