PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN,CBS,PFW,NFL.com Power Rankings 9-11-12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it is week 1 - but my how the Pats strength of schedule has dramatically changed - we play 4 of the 5 top teams (NFL.com picks - an of course the Pats are one of the top 5).

I know it is week 1 - but my how the Pats strength of schedule has dramatically changed - we play 4 of the 5 top teams (NFL.com picks - an of course the Pats are one of the top 5).

How is that a big change, though? Coming into the season, the Texans, Ravens, and 49ers were all teams thought to be Super Bowl contenders, and most people were thinking that Manning would make the Broncos more of a threat. While I'm not sold on the Broncos, the other three teams were the big games on the schedule as soon as it came out.

Last edited:
Re: ESPN,CBS NFL Power Rankings 9-11-12

Who in their right mind would leave San Fran off the top spot???

Why should SF be ahead of NE? I can see why one could reasonably argue that they should be, but there's also a very reasonable argument for NE being #1.

The case for SF: they just went on the road and beat a tremendous GB team by eight points.

The case for NE: they just went on the road against a solid (but lesser) team, held one of the best players in the league to four yards rushing, and won with ease, by 21 points.

I don't see what's so slam-dunk about having SF ahead of NE, especially if you thought NE was better heading into week one.

New England was in the Super Bowl last season, and just opened up with a convincing win that showed improvement in their previous area of weakness. Ranking them at the top makes perfect sense.

This is what I think. I was sort of miffed when Peter King had SF first and us second. We made the Superbowl last year and won on Sunday in convincing fashion. Since the Giants (who must have started the year on top as SB champs (grrrr)) lost, we should be #1 until someone knocks us off.

That being said, who really cares as long as we keep winning, baby!

To listen to all the talking heads in the media today you'd think the Ravens were the top team. Flacco's suddenly Joe Montana.

It appears the fact that Cincy's defensive "gameplan" left a little to be desired.

How many times can a unit over pursue?

To listen to all the talking heads in the media today you'd think the Ravens were the top team. Flacco's suddenly Joe Montana.

While I don't think Flacco is suddenly Joe Montana, I was impressed with the speed of the Ravens offense last night. They obviously have worked on correcting the plodding, rather anemic nature of their O, which will make them a tough out this year (if they keep up the good work).

Our problem is Brady is almost always spectacular, so when he has a game like he did on Sunday, it is ho hum, Brady being Brady, while Flacco having such a game is big news.

Atlanta is being overrated...big time. Probably the most overrated in the league at this point.

How is that a big change, though? Coming into the season, the Texans, Ravens, and 49ers were all teams thought to be Super Bowl contenders, and most people were thinking that Manning would make the Broncos more of a threat. While I'm not sold on the Broncos, the other three teams were the big games on the schedule as soon as it came out.

I know they base the strength of schedule off of previous years' record, but IMO there is no way a team has the "easiest" schedule when they have to play 4 of the 5 top teams. I am also not sold on the Broncos, so I am a bit surprised by their ranking - their D is nasty, but overall I do not think they are #5 (this is per the NFL channel) - the Manning bounce.

My opinion was mainly based on the Broncos being rated so high.

Means nothing IMO. On to the next game

I would have put 49ers 1st

Last edited:
I feel like a Jets fan looking at Power Rankings.

Next thing you know I will start bragging about making it to (but not winning) the AFC Championship game. :cool:

Power Rankings are for amateurs. With that said, I like the Pats sitting at the top of the lists.lol

In no particular order within the groups:

Sweet Sixteen
Bears
Lions
Jets
Redskins

I would put the Bears a tier or two higher than that, probably somewhere in the Elite Eight. Don't forget they were 7-3 last year before Cutler and then Forte got hurt, they have added Brandon Marshall and Michael Bush on offense, and still have Julius Peppers, Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs and Charles Tillman on defense.

Mike and Mike have a new show, Mike and Mike's best of the NFL.

They just gave their top 5

1. Ravens
2. 49ers
3. Texans
4. Patriots
5. Jets

1. Ravens
2. 49ers
3. Texans
4. Patriots
5. Jets

I just watched it. Their power rankings, in my view, seem worse than any of the others I've seen. Whatever, though, this may be the last time I look at any of the drivel. I stopped watching pre-game shows years ago, and I am ab out to start avoiding nonsense like power rankings too. They've been my guilty pleasure for some time now.

1. Ravens
2. 49ers
3. Texans
4. Patriots
5. Jets

Did they put the Jesters at 5 with serious faces??

Did they put the Jesters at 5 with serious faces??

Greenberg said he wanted to put them is number one and was laughing about that. When he put them number 5 Golic protested and said something about them being in the top 10. the Jets are not top 10. The Jets board is now full of 10 or 11 game win season and the playoff posts.

Between Houston and Baltimore, have any other teams received as much "love" as these two?

I wonder what the reaction will be in week three when a certain team heads into there and goes hurry up/no huddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye