PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Enough "pink" already!

Most people's issue is it isn't "cancer awareness", but instead a distinct type of cancer. The end result is people feeling like breast cancer is hogging the limelight and quite possibly it getting a disproportionate amount of funding. I'm guessing if they were a hair more subtle and made it cancer awareness people wouldn't get bothered; the idea that this has to do with the color used is a bit silly.

The money raised isn't used solely for breast cancer research. And there's no doubt in my mind that the color plays a part in this. Look no further than the vagina references in this thread.

Even if it were solely about breast cancer money, I still don't see that it's worth *****ing over.

At any rate, whoever said it's not our finest thread hit it right on the screws, so I'm just going to ignore the thread. Stay strong, fellas ... the horror is almost over. :)

The money raised isn't used solely for breast cancer research. And there's no doubt in my mind that the color plays a part in this. Look no further than the vagina references in this thread.

Even if it were solely about breast cancer money, I still don't see that it's worth *****ing over.

I never made the claim in bold, and to be frank it seems like an intentional strawman. So far you haven't actually countered anything anyone has said in this thread, but have instead tried to make a rather baseless claim that it's some masculine anti-pink agenda.

As far as I can remember pink has always been the color associated with this cause and I don't remember people complaining when it first started to get legs. In the past few years it has seemingly gotten a bit out of control, which has prompted some complaints. One would think that if this was all about the color used people would've been complaining from the get go.

Again, no one is suggesting the campaign causes "harm."

I will suggest precisely that!

I think it does cause harm. It contributes to people ignoring other types of cancer that need research dollars a lot more than breast cancer needs research dollars right now (because plenty's already coming in for that).

Think marginal utilitity here: an additional $100 contribution for research of cancer X is likely to do a lot more good than an additional $100 contribution for breast cancer research.

You guys are sick of pink. Wait until you see this weekend. Here is a picture of the required uniforms that coaches will have to wear on the sidelines.

OT_3_pink_outfits.JPG

Think marginal utilitity here: an additional $100 contribution for research of cancer X is likely to do a lot more good than an additional $100 contribution for breast cancer research.

Was that an intentional misspelling, or Freudian? :D

All the talk about "which disease is more deserving", "what is the marginal utility of breast cancer dollars vs. prostate cancer, colon cancer, etc.", is exactly why this whole disease awareness should not be in the NFL. It's not the proper venue.

People watch sports for the tribal "us against the guys from across the valley" nature of it. Not to be reminded of diseases and current events. Maybe they should take a 5 minute break between each quarter to discuss the tragedies of the day; earthquakes, famines, pestilences, horrific diseases, war, etc. etc. When does it stop?

I wonder how much of his 10 million dollar a year salary old roger goddell gives to breast cancer or any research. Given that he's forcing the NFL on this jihad, it's probably a huge portion, right? Somehow I doubt it. This is marketing, very clumsy and weird marketing.

It's insulting to women too, like they're so stupid they'll think "gee I guess I should watch this sport, after all they're raising money for women...and those pink shoes look so cute!". It's infantile.

My mother has breast cancer and is in the middle of the fight, my mother in law died from it, and my wife is considered high risk, but even I find this all absurd. My mother is a huge Pats fan too so I'll have to ask her thoughts but I have to imagine there's got to be a little eye-rolling at this point. My wife, also a Pats fan, rolled her eyes.

Like everyone else, it was the pink flags that "crossed the line" for me.

I have a view that we are generally way too critical as a society.

We have an opinion on everything. It's often uninformed or guided by bias.

Who could blame us? Marketing experts engage us by asking how we feel and asking us to vote in polls. FB and other social media, and message boards, are a forum for us to be heard.

But in the end, we are VERY critical.

Now I will be the first to admit that I don't know jack about the relative cancers or whether Breast Cancer gets too much of the dollars.

But, that said, my gut tells me:

- that Any Cancer Awareness is good.

- More money and focus on a particular cancer is good.

- The NFL publicly helping a needy cause is good.

- The NFL showing that charitable giving and focus outside of ourselves is good.

- The Pink stuff is harmless

- Criticizing this stuff is kind of craven.

Criticize Eli Manning for being a ****ey cat. Or Rex Ryan for being a bombastic fool. Or Peyton for having a horse face.

Breast cancer efforts? I dunno, I think we should leave that one alone.

Just my two cents and I could be WAY off or too dismissive here.

I have a view that we are generally way too critical as a society.

We have an opinion on everything. It's often uninformed or guided by bias.

Who could blame us? Marketing experts engage us by asking how we feel and asking us to vote in polls. FB and other social media, and message boards, are a forum for us to be heard.

But in the end, we are VERY critical.

Now I will be the first to admit that I don't know jack about the relative cancers or whether Breast Cancer gets too much of the dollars.

But, that said, my gut tells me:

- that Any Cancer Awareness is good.

- More money and focus on a particular cancer is good.

- The NFL publicly helping a needy cause is good.

- The NFL showing that charitable giving and focus outside of ourselves is good.

- The Pink stuff is harmless

- Criticizing this stuff is kind of craven.

Criticize Eli Manning for being a ****ey cat. Or Rex Ryan for being a bombastic fool. Or Peyton for having a horse face.

Breast cancer efforts? I dunno, I think we should leave that one alone.

Just my two cents and I could be WAY off or too dismissive here.

I think you're being far too critical.

My mother has breast cancer and is in the middle of the fight, my mother in law died from it, and my wife is considered high risk, but even I find this all absurd. My mother is a huge Pats fan too so I'll have to ask her thoughts but I have to imagine there's got to be a little eye-rolling at this point. My wife, also a Pats fan, rolled her eyes.

Like everyone else, it was the pink flags that "crossed the line" for me.

If they're going to use the pink flags, the NFL should make the refs throw them with their left (or weak, if they're a southpaw) hand for pure comedy purposes.

Pink penalty flags. Pink first-down line. Pink shoes, gloves, towels -- :frusty:

Yes, breast cancer is a worthy charitable cause and yes, the NFL deserves credit for flying that flag (at least initially). But several years in, this pet "cause celebre" has assumed a weird life of its own that has crossed into cynical marketing overkill. When people like my fiancee even complain about it (she's a registered nurse), I think it's time to take notice. Why not prostate cancer awareness? Colon cancer awareness? Let's face it, the NFL has big-time influence on society and could be casting a wider net, especially after so many years of pushing "pink."

I agree, but for a different reason. I am sure those doing breast cancer research would much rather the NFL make a larger donation than spend their funds on all things pink. Maybe they could make a different type of cancer the focus (and the donation recipient) each week.

I agree, but for a different reason. I am sure those doing breast cancer research would much rather the NFL make a larger donation than spend their funds on all things pink. Maybe they could make a different type of cancer the focus (and the donation recipient) each week.

It's nice to see a woman weigh in on this. Do you see this as just as much about the league marketing itself to the female demographic? I used the prostate cancer analogy in an earlier post: as PWP also stated, prostate cancer "awareness" is way behind breast cancer in terms of public education and research funding. This would seem a natural for the NFL to get behind because most fans are men. Yet, it's been doing the breast cancer "pink" campaign for about a decade now.

Originally I think the NFL had done this campaign to raise awareness now I believe they just use it as a marketing tactic to women. As pointed out there is no harm caused by the campaign except to our eyes.
I think that's exactly what happened. I believe it started out as something altruistic but has now morphed into something more self-serving.

What is the possible harm of what they are doing? Fans might not like it?

The pink overkill gives me a negative view of breast cancer fund-raising efforts. It makes me want to avoid breast cancer issues. This has nothing to do with breast cancer; it has everything to do with how the NFL is promoting it with their over-the-top marketing. And it's a shame.

That's why this thread exists. Most people think this marketing is over-the-top and should either stop or be significantly cut back. Having a few pink things a few games is fine. Changing the color to pink of most everything that doesn't have a predefined unchangeable color - and doing it for week after week in the month of October - is ridiculous and invites backlash. This just needs to be balanced (like most things in life).

It's nice to see a woman weigh in on this. Do you see this as just as much about the league marketing itself to the female demographic? I used the prostate cancer analogy in an earlier post: as PWP also stated, prostate cancer "awareness" is way behind breast cancer in terms of public education and research funding. This would seem a natural for the NFL to get behind because most fans are men. Yet, it's been doing the breast cancer "pink" campaign for about a decade now.

I'm not sure. I hadn't thought of it that way. I thought they were trying to market to everyone on the theory that everyone, man or woman, has been touched by breast cancer (and though I haven't had the disease myself, thank God, I have known many women who have, some who've survived and some who haven't). I guess I have a soft spot for marketing for women's health causes because statistically, they are not funded as well as men's health causes. Also, the perception is (and I don't know if it's the reality, because I have also had a relative die of prostate cancer) that breast cancer is much more deadly than prostate cancer, which can (supposedly) be treated more effectively if caught early, or sometimes not treated at all as it is slow growing (in some cases).

The bottom line for me is, that the pink thing has become almost a mockery of itself and the money would be much better spent on the research and treatment itself, rather than pink gloves, socks and flags.

The pink overkill gives me a negative view of breast cancer fund-raising efforts. It makes me want to avoid breast cancer issues. This has nothing to do with breast cancer; it has everything to do with how the NFL is promoting it with their over-the-top marketing. And it's a shame.

That's why this thread exists. Most people think this marketing is over-the-top and should either stop or be significantly cut back. Having a few pink things a few games is fine. Changing the color to pink of most everything that doesn't have a predefined unchangeable color - and doing it for week after week in the month of October - is ridiculous and invites backlash. This just needs to be balanced (like most things in life).

See, this is bad and bad for the cause...

Like I have always said this breast Cancer Awareness campaign is just a marketing powerhouse.

It's not right, I'm sorry, considering all the other cancers and diseases.

It may not be the right thing to say but I do think that someone at the head office should entertain the though of contributing to other worthy causes...

I think that's exactly what happened. I believe it started out as something altruistic but has now morphed into something more self-serving.

Perhaps, or it could be something self-serving packaged as something altruistic.

A few years old...
Among the big cancers, breast cancer receives the most funding per new case, $2,596 — and by far the most money relative to each death, $13,452. Notably, prostate cancer, the most common cancer, receives the least funding per new case at just $1,318. But on a per-death basis it ranks second, with $11,298 in N.C.I. funds.

N.C.I. cancer funding based on 2006 death rates and incidence rates

Cancer (Deaths) N.C.I. Funding per Death
Lung (162,460) $1,630
Colon (55,170) $4,566
Breast (41,430) $13,452
Pancreas (32,300 ) $2,297
Prostate (27,350) $11,298
Cancer (New cases)
N.C.I. Funding per New Case
Prostate (234,460) $1,318
Breast (214,640) $2,596
Lung (174,470) $1,518
Colon (106,680) $2,361
Pancreas (33,730) $2,200

Breast cancer activists are well organized, volunteer to participate in studies and get media and entertainment support. Men's prostate cancer, not so much. Men tend not to be social activists, especially older men.

Don't know if you guys remember Dennis Hopper a few years back. Went from an active healthy 60s guy to a skeleton in a wheelchair before dying. Prostate cancer spreads thru the lymph nodes to the pelvis and usually kills as painful debilitating bone cancer. I have 2 neighbors both going through this spread right now.

If they're going to use the pink flags, the NFL should make the refs throw them with their left (or weak, if they're a southpaw) hand for pure comedy purposes.

I wonder what Bart Scott thinks of those pink flags? lol.

What an epic series of downs that was back on that particular cold night in Baltimore. Oh baby, it was the BEST of times. Football like we had NEVER experienced before or since.

Also, a couple of related opinions of mine concerning the usage of pink ....
1. Keep the pink ribbon stamp off the game balls. Did u notice it's tattooed right underneath the laces on every ball right next to the Wilson logo?
2. 4 games is way too many. Yo, that's a quarter of most teams' entire seasons (not ours, per se, but most. heh heh heh)

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back