Enough "pink" already!

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Pink penalty flags. Pink first-down line. Pink shoes, gloves, towels -- :frusty:

Yes, breast cancer is a worthy charitable cause and yes, the NFL deserves credit for flying that flag (at least initially). But several years in, this pet "cause celebre" has assumed a weird life of its own that has crossed into cynical marketing overkill. When people like my fiancee even complain about it (she's a registered nurse), I think it's time to take notice. Why not prostate cancer awareness? Colon cancer awareness? Let's face it, the NFL has big-time influence on society and could be casting a wider net, especially after so many years of pushing "pink."

Tonight is far too in your face. I understand their need to reach out to women, but christ. Does it all need to be neon?

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the refs through the 3 flags at once. Pink overload, thought I was going crazy had to do a double take.

Only just started watching - please tell me you're kidding about the penalty flag.
[Edit: never mind -ugh!]

I absolutely despise this pink nonsense, if someone wants to fight breast cancer they can do a lot more by actually giving money to support cancer research instead of wearing something pink.

Pink penalty flags. Pink first-down line. Pink shoes, gloves, towels -- :frusty:

Yes, breast cancer is a worthy charitable cause and yes, the NFL deserves credit for flying that flag (at least initially). But several years in, this pet "cause celebre" has assumed a weird life of its own that has crossed into cynical marketing overkill. When people like my fiancee even complain about it (she's a registered nurse), I think it's time to take notice. Why not prostate cancer awareness? Colon cancer awareness? Let's face it, the NFL has big-time influence on society and could be casting a wider net, especially after so many years of pushing "pink."

Well, for one, colon cancer's not nearly as "sexy", and I don't mean that in a crude way.

Mixed feelings on this one. My mother-in-law is a breast cancer survivor, and I've seen firsthand the hell she's gone through. A quick google search, though, confirmed what you probably know Tunes - there are more new cases of prostrate cancer each year in the U.S. than any other type of cancer.

(LOL cue the funny Family Guy prostrate exam clip.)

I care about breast as much as the next guy. But it's really being overdone tonight- the pink, that is.

Well, for one, colon cancer's not nearly as "sexy", and I don't mean that in a crude way.

Mixed feelings on this one. My mother-in-law is a breast cancer survivor, and I've seen firsthand the hell she's gone through. A quick google search, though, confirmed what you probably know Tunes - there are more new cases of prostrate cancer each year in the U.S. than any other type of cancer.

That's why I'm suggesting this NFL "campaign" is more about marketing the league to women than it is about true cancer awareness. Especially after so many years of the same thing every October.

A MAJOR problem with prostrate cancer is that there is no reliable test indicator apart from the digital butt probe exam. That fails to detect many major cancers. PSA test is trashed because of false positives but at least you can decide whether to get a biopsy. The biopsy feels like someone snapping a large rubber band into your nether regions 12 times as they sample each area of the prostate. Joy. Then to top it off once detected, nobody really knows how to tell the potentially aggressive prostate cancers from the slow moving ones.

Really need $ for some basic research here.

there are more new cases of prostrate cancer each year in the U.S. than any other type of cancer.

you can get cancer by lying prone?

I think the NFL SHOULD have a colon cancer awareness night...when's the next Jets game???...put green dots on the backside of every player's pants right where the chocolata expressway makes its' exit......

I gotta tell ya, I had the exact same reaction tonight. Especially the 1st down marker on the TV.

They really have gone over-the-top with the whole thing.
Why not prostate cancer awareness? Colon cancer awareness?
Isn't that what the Browns are doing tonight with their uniforms? :D

All this cancer awareness discussion conveniently ignored the fact that heart disease is the #1 killer of women in this country. It's also the #1 killer of men.

I think the NFL SHOULD have a colon cancer awareness night...when's the next Jets game???...put green dots on the backside of every player's pants right where the chocolata expressway makes its' exit......

That would be rectal cancer, I think. Or, perhaps ... HEALING From Buttock Cancer - YouTube

as a cancer survivor AND a double stroke survivor, I'm waiting for the big space rock to hit

With all of the cancer varieties out there, the NFL should have each team sponsor a different cancer.

Colon for the Jets? Perhaps, though I think the Browns makes more sense.

Give the Jets foot cancer....at least while Rex is around

The pink stinks.

there are more new cases of prostrate cancer each year in the U.S. than any other type of cancer.

you can get cancer by lying prone?
Is that you, Andy Sipowicz?

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back