PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Elite Defense if no major injuries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year our defense looked really good in the first few weeks. Highly praised Armstead never played a snap. Then Wilfork went down. Then Kelly. Then Mayo. Then Talib. All of a sudden our defense was decimated by injuries.

You could see a lot of potential on Defense, and I couldn't help but think how good they wouldve been if they didn't lose that many players to injury.

Now we've replaced Talib with Revis, who is arguably the best CB in the entire league.
Signed Brandon Browner which adds size and strength to a deep secondary unit.
We also added Dominique Easley in the 1st rd. He's a bit of a question mark for the beginning of the year, but he should contribute around mid-end year and provide the DLine with a hungry interior pass rusher. Pats should be able to play strong man-coverage.

I expect Mayo to return to full strength and not miss a step.

Wilfork may never be as dominant as he once was, but I expect him to still be a pivotal part of the run game.

Collins looked amazing in the playoffs last year. His development should continue and he could be the best Linebacker on the team.

Hightower is moving to his more natural MLB spot since Spikes is gone.

Could we have an Elite Defense if they stay healthy?

IMHO the post 2009 rebuilding was complete at the beginning of last season, when the Defense was finally completed. It looked good until the injuries. 2013 found some new pieces to add in Chris Jones, Sealver Siliga, Ryan Logan and Duron Harmon and Jamie Collins. Not mentioning the Offensive adds at receiver.

This off season brings Easly and Will Smith and perhaps Armstead, plus added talent on the O-Line.

I don't mind saying this edition of the Patriots can be as good as any BB has fielded on BOTH sides of the Ball. Elite? Hell yes!

These are some of the biggest positives that are under the radar.

-Jones entering year 3.
-Hightower entering year 3.
-Dennard entering year 3, and for the first time doesn't have a pending court case as a distraction.
-Collins entering year 2.
-Ryan entering year 2.
-Harmon entering year 2.
-Buchanan entering year 2.
-McCourty entering his second full season at safety.

And a bunch of them will probably have an awesome year and then leave in free agency for a huge payday.. Thats the problem, they've done a great job of drafting and have been patient with a very young defense, but this is around that time they expected it to all start coming together and then its just ripped apart again from free agency

If you platoon Ninkovich and Hightower as a LDE/SAM LB, then you can easily run a hybrid 5-2 / 4-3 under base, using Kelly/Armstead as the second "3" tech in a 5-2 and becoming the LDE in a 4-3 under when Nink/Hightower kick out over the TE.

Agreed. The Pats could have gotten KPL at 130, Telvin Smith or Tripp at 140, or Christian Jones at 244 (or as a UDFA), all of whom would have added considerable versatility, range and coverage ability. The failure to land any of those guys, or a big safety like Antone Exum or Lonnie Ballentine in the late rounds, is the biggest question mark I have with the draft. Any of KPL/Telvin Smith/Exum could have played a "star"/"stud" hybrid LB/S role that would have allowed the Pats to play a 4-2-1-4 scheme that would have been useful as a base against spread and no-huddle offenses.

I think Pat Chung and/or T Wilson could do a more than adequate job as a star hybrid LB in a 4-2-1-4. Perhaps BB thinks so too, and didn't see the need to draft any. He is usually a step ahead of everyone else.

And a bunch of them will probably have an awesome year and then leave in free agency for a huge payday.. Thats the problem, they've done a great job of drafting and have been patient with a very young defense, but this is around that time they expected it to all start coming together and then its just ripped apart again from free agency

All of those players listed are on contract until at least 2015-2016, most of them are under contract until 2016-2017. You simply can't extend all of the players you draft, every team in the NFL faces the same problem.

I'm still worried about their pass rush though. They only have one reliable edge rusher on the roster, they're screwed if god forbid Jones go down really.

Balogna!

Smith was an elite Pass rusher too with double digit sack history. Ninko and one of the youngsters probably Buchanan are good alternatives too. Easly, Chris Jones, and Kelly add interior pass rush potential too.

Jones has a 5th year option so he has 3 seasons left, Collins/Ryan/Harmon/Buchanan have 3 years left as well, and Hightower/Dennard have 2 years left.

McCourty needs to be extended, but we could tag him if need be. This defense should get us through the Brady era, and honestly I think the team will have to submit to some level of rebuilding once Brady retires anyway.

Balogna!

Smith was an elite Pass rusher too with double digit sack history. Ninko and one of the youngsters probably Buchanan are good alternatives too. Easly, Chris Jones, and Kelly add interior pass rush potential too.
Smith has never been an elite pass rusher. He was a good one at times but never elite. Smith is very good against the run, so he was considered a very complete DE.

In my opinion Michael Buchanan is going to break out to the tune of 8-10 sacks as a situational pass rusher similar to what Mark Anderson did in 2011.

Jerod Mayo tore his pectoral muscle and is still not back to full health. Hopefully he will be by training camp, although I wouldn't be surprised to see them take it easy with him for awhile. Obviously, we all hope that he's back to full strength by the end of camp.
I'm concerned about Mayo and especially Wilfork being able to contribute early. Both had debilitating injuries for their respective positions.

I'm concerned about Mayo and especially Wilfork being able to contribute early. Both had debilitating injuries for their respective positions.
I'm not concerned regarding Jerod Mayo (given he's only 28). He'll pick up his All Pro production from where he left it. My concerns lay with the Defensive Line. Wilfork, Kelly, Smith, Armstead and Easley figure to be prominent fixtures, all of whom are returning from significant injuries. Three of the mentioned players haven't played one snap for the Patriots. Given that consideration, we've got to think about how these players fit in the defensive game plan and how they gel with their teammates. I firmly believe chemistry is an often overlooked determinant.

On paper, the Defense looks much improved. Let's hope that comes to fruition.

2. I wonder why some people who fear our "lack of a pass rush" have forgotten that last year's injured and jury-rigged front 7 ranked #6 in the league in sacks. Its like the lack of a pass rush in the AFCCG just erased the previous 17 games out of existence.
I was going to give this post a like, just for that one statement

but....
5. The key this year is going to be position flexibility. In that there are really only going to be 2 positions in passing situations. rushers and defenders. So while we might not have 3 LB's on the field the majority of the time, that doesn't meant there won't be 3 "LB's on the field. Except in those cases Collins and/or Hightower might have their hands in the dirt

Think about it. Revis will be at CB - Mayo at LB, and Vince/Siliga in the interior. That's about all you can depend on. Everyone else couid end up anywhere. Everyone has some position flexibility. Its a HUGE advantage, and I'm getting more excited about as I think about the possibilities. :eek:

6. Like I've been saying for a while, the old position labels aren't going to be as accurately descriptive this season. We can expect DT's playing DE, LB's playing DE and DE's playing LB's When you think about it, there aren't too many of our top defensive players on the front 7 who DON'T have a lot of position flexibility. Guys like Collins are the rule rather than the exception. Do NOT underestimate the problems its going to cause opponents offenses when its hard to get a read on what defense they will see based on the personnel on the field. They won't be able to predict an alignment based simply on personnel
While I've had the same thoughts, you expressed them quite succinctly here. I'm officially excited for training camp and preseason now

It is difficult to imagine us as anything but a top 5 defense if we have no major injuries. We were top 10 and we've added Revis, Browner, Mayo, Wilfork, Kelly and Easley.

It is difficult to imagine us as anything but a top 5 defense if we have no major injuries. We were top 10 and we've added Revis, Browner, Mayo, Wilfork, Kelly and Easley.

I bet kelly doesn't even make the team

This defense comes down to the pass rush period. If Jones is supposed to be the top passrusher he either improves or its bad news. He was handled and completely dominated at times by single blocking. I'll keep it short and sweet this time. He needs to get slightly quicker at least and more powerful. If not there's a chance his sack totals drop slightly rather than increase. But its the consistent heat on the qb I would like to see.

IMHO, adding Mayo, Wilfork, Kelly, Easley and Smith will improve the pass-rush. Also adding Browner and Revis will improve the pass-rush.

This defense comes down to the pass rush period. If Jones is supposed to be the top passrusher he either improves or its bad news. He was handled and completely dominated at times by single blocking. I'll keep it short and sweet this time. He needs to get slightly quicker at least and more powerful. If not there's a chance his sack totals drop slightly rather than increase. But its the consistent heat on the qb I would like to see.

I'm not concerned regarding Jerod Mayo (given he's only 28). He'll pick up his All Pro production from where he left it.
Coming back from a torn pec is no walk in the park for a linebacker, especially. These guys routinely extend their arms to tackle, absorbing a lot of torque in the upper body. Everything I've read is that it can take up to a year to recover fully. We'll see.

He is a rising star and likely to improve, but it isn't just one guy. If they can generate better inside pressure from Easly, Armstead, C. Jones, and move QBs back a step or two, then Jones, Nink and Buchanan will get more sacks off the edge. Not to mention the improved coverage. Lots of reasons to expect more sacks.

This defense comes down to the pass rush period...But its the consistent heat on the qb I would like to see.

What I would also like to see is Jones & Ninko play far fewer snaps than they did last season.
Expecting both of them to exceed 95% of all defensive snaps, again, will be suicide.

I'm not the least concerned bout Dominique Easley. Surgery usually prevents future acl injury. He will be better in week one than he was in college. Should be around 297/298 lbs like he was b4 the previous injury. And his technique will be coached up. The others you mentioned mg I to have concerns over performance. Jones is almost there I hope he comes in stronger than last yr. I like Collins as a blitzed. I would rather see hightower play at 255. He has good instincts,is a strong tackler. Just needs more burst especially for pass defense.

right...we need linebackers like THIS or everything sucks and is going to bad bad bad bad!!!

13168.jpg

Cut Mayo!! Cut Hightower!! Cut Jones!!! We gotta get three of THIS GUY!!!!

It will be the best defense the Pats have fielded in awhile, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes