PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ejections will now be a thing in the nfl*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't hate it. That Talib wasn't ejected for the blatant and incredibly dangerous facemask in the Super Bowl was heinous. My guess is it will be horse collars, facemasks, roughing the passer, and helmet-to-helmet on defenseless receivers.

Only way this works is if they include video replay on this..

Case in point:

Devin Taylor phantom face mask on Rodgers that allowed them one more play. Say that was Taylor's 2nd personal foul and he got ejected.

suckitlions-0.gif

I feel like it isn't really needed. 15 yards is huge.

you are right, plus its 15 yards and an automatic first down. Watch the college games where they review the helmet to helmet hits and almost always no matter what the review shows uphold the ejection.

Stupid rule, I hope the Pats vote against it.

How about this, combining a hockey idea with the NFL...

On personal foul penalties, the team that suffered the personal foul (had their guy get face masked, speared, whatever) has a choice: take the 15 yards *or* have that player who committed the penalty sit for the next play and play 11 on 10 for one play. That would be a potentially significant penalty - Imagine this Pats' offense being allowed to play 11 on 10 for a play? Huge possibilities. But it's also a risk.

Something different anyway.

How about this, combining a hockey idea with the NFL...

On personal foul penalties, the team that suffered the personal foul (had their guy get face masked, speared, whatever) has a choice: take the 15 yards *or* have that player who committed the penalty sit for the next play and play 11 on 10 for one play. That would be a potentially significant penalty - Imagine this Pats' offense being allowed to play 11 on 10 for a play? Huge possibilities. But it's also a risk.

Something different anyway.

How about make this a little funnier, like blindfold the player and twist him 10 times before the snap. Seriously the game doesn't need any new rule to fix something that is not broken, they implemented too many rules that already screwed the game recently, I hope they get rid of that point of emphasis BS and illegal contact now that Manning retired.

Last edited:
This is an awful idea.

The lead official can already decide whether or not to eject a player for misconduct.

Now if someone makes two overly aggressive plays, you're thrown out.

Stupid. This isn't soccer. Leave the damn game alone.

How about make this a little funnier, like blindfold the player and twist him 10 times before the snap. Seriously the game doesn't need any new rule to fix something that is not broken, they implemented to many rules that already screwed the game recently, I hope they get rid of that point of emphasis BS and illegal contact now that Manning retired.

Hmmm... I think blindfolding people would be dumb. ;-)

At least my idea has a precedent in that it's actually implemented in a major sport. So there's some merit to it. I suggested it as an alternative to what appears to be something in motion to already tweak the rules.

Stupid. There are already penalties. There are already fines and suspensions. Ejecting a player is stupid. We are a few years away from breaking out the flag belts and doing away with lineman.

This is guaranteed to screw the Pats sometime this season.

I guess we can call this the Aqib Talib rule.

I like the way college does it where a cheap shot that leads to an ejection gets an automatic review to make sure it wasn't a bad call but I doubt the NFL will go that way because it will add precious minutes to the game length.

Last edited:
It's a dumb rule in college and it will be a dumb rule in the NFL.

you are right, plus its 15 yards and an automatic first down. Watch the college games where they review the helmet to helmet hits and almost always no matter what the review shows uphold the ejection.

Stupid rule, I hope the Pats vote against it.

Talib nearly killed a guy and it cost them a half a yard, and he bragged about that fact. I agree that it's probably a dumb rule, but the officials have almost never ejected anyone for anything except hitting a ref.

Stupid. There are already penalties. There are already fines and suspensions. Ejecting a player is stupid. We are a few years away from breaking out the flag belts and doing away with lineman.

Finally, a fix for O-Line troubles we can agree on! ;)

Please no stupid rules in the hands of the incompetent refs

Talib nearly killed a guy and it cost them a half a yard, and he bragged about that fact. I agree that it's probably a dumb rule, but the officials have almost never ejected anyone for anything except hitting a ref.
And they shouldn't. If they think its a foul, throw a flag. Discipline comes after the league reviews the film. Removing a player from a game is ludicrous.

It would be great if this makes all personal fouls subject to review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back