PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

(Edited Title:) Writer thinks Zappe is winning the QB "battle"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of backups could've done what Mac Jones did last year too.
Currently one of the least impressive QB rooms in the league with zero occupants capable of elevating an offense.

Another musketfire gem:

Yes it's obvious Bill is "biased toward defensive players". LOL.

Jim Carrey Ok GIF

For some reason, the fact that he didn’t completely **** the bed turned into he played really well. The Packers last year were average like the Patriots and the reason the game was close was the defense.
Yup. Doing his job as a backup QB is not the same thing as "playing well".

Matt Cassel in 08 was a backup who actually did play well. I'd take Cassel's season over Zappe's anyday. If Zappe was as good as Cassel maybe we'd really have a QB competition this summer.

Yup. Doing his job as a backup QB is not the same thing as "playing well".

Matt Cassel in 08 was a backup who actually did play well. I'd take Cassel's season over Zappe's anyday. If Zappe was as good as Cassel maybe we'd really have a QB competition this summer.
Cassel was a weird case. He was the QB equivalent of human clay, but he also had three years to learn from Brady, and from Flutie and Testaverde, plus he had Josh McDaniels. OTOH, Zappe had a ton of experience as a starter, but was thrown in as a rookie with the Bad Man as his OC. I'm pretty sure if you could swap situations, Zappe would've done far better in Cassel's shoes than vice versa.

Reactions: sb1
Cassel was a weird case. He was the QB equivalent of human clay, but he also had three years to learn from Brady, and from Flutie and Testaverde, plus he had Josh McDaniels. OTOH, Zappe had a ton of experience as a starter, but was thrown in as a rookie with the Bad Man as his OC. I'm pretty sure if you could swap situations, Zappe would've done far better in Cassel's shoes than vice versa.
I thought I remembered Cassel being really mobile but the stats don’t really show that…270 yards rushing in 08 and only 3.4 per carry thought it was more than that. He did play really well though.

I thought I remembered Cassel being really mobile but the stats don’t really show that…270 yards rushing in 08 and only 3.4 per carry thought it was more than that. He did play really well though.
Got a call from a fellow Patriots fan today. He let my know Bailey was 5 for 5 for 5 TDs today in the red zone. I let him know that all the news is on how Mac may have had the best practice of his career.

He was more mobile than Brady, but that’s not saying much.

Got a call from a fellow Patriots fan today. He let my know Bailey was 5 for 5 for 5 TDs today in the red zone. I let him know that all the news is on how Mac may have had the best practice of his career.
Saw his group was 6/6 in the red zone. Not sure if that means 6 TD passes or 6 scores by his group. Either way good stuff.

Saw his group was 6/6 in the red zone. Not sure if that means 6 TD passes or 6 scores by his group. Either way good stuff.

Hard to tell what can you take away from reserves vs. reserves.

And immediately followed it with sacks and an int, if I remember correctly. I think the Pats think he’s a perfectly acceptable, cheap back up quarterback.

Lets all be happy and hopeful that both of them may be better.

Cassel also had Randy Moss and Wes Welker that year.

Nice throw to Boutte, but otherwise Zappe was bad….inaccurate, impatient, indecisive, frequently scrambling around while going off-script. Hate those dumb sidearm throws.

Trace McSorely is obviously quietly winning the QB1 battle. Proof: No highlights from him. Haven’t heard a word about him lately and he didn’t even play. Mac and Zappe have highlights and that’s a bad sign for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back