PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman off PUP

Very unlikely. Meriweather would have made the team worse and the safety position was settled by the time the playoffs rolled around.

Meriweather was a flag waiting to happen...you always sat there and said."uh oh..the play is getting closer to him..50/50 there is a flag"

Very unlikely. Meriweather would have made the team worse and the safety position was settled by the time the playoffs rolled around.

Meriweather was a flag waiting to happen...you always sat there and said."uh oh..the play is getting closer to him..50/50 there is a flag"

I found it interesting while reading "War Room" that Belichick was very unhappy with the 2007 draft in general, and the rumor is that they were "stuck" choosing a handful of players that they'd never have taken otherwise, so the selection of Meriweather may have been a hint of this--not that I'm implying that he was one of the players who they'd have never taken, only that they probably wouldn't have taken him in the first round.

From all accounts, when SF agreed to trade back into the 1st round at pick #28 for Joe Staley, Belichick was elated. As we all well know, that pick saved our asses the next year when we took Mayo; as our own pick was taken away by Goodell for the Cameragate situation.

5 years of experience in the system, and after the offense has signed Deion Branch, Brandon Lloyd, Chad Johnson and others since his amazing rookie year filling in for Wes Welker, he finally gets time to shine in the offense.
5 years experience?

Julian Edelman NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

I personally love the guys skill set and believe he can line up anywhere and do anything on the field, as long as he is healthy. And to me, he is far more "explosive" then Wes Welker, and better in open field and with the ball in his hands.
2012 NFL Season
Games Played - 9
Pass Receptions - 21

Julian Edelman has never proven to be a reliable "X" wide receiver.

It would be nice to see some durability from Edelman, but I'm not holding my breath over it. Personally I think the redevelopment at WR has to continue. My priority is to see the young WR's on the field, develop a increasing chemistry and trust with Brady. With Brady getting older, I think this could be invaluable for us in the next 2-3 seasons. Ya, it would be nice to have Edelman around but I think he's had his chance and blew it. We don't need the odd 'flash' every now and again, we need consistency.

Ya, it would be nice to have Edelman around but I think he's had his chance and blew it. We don't need the odd 'flash' every now and again, we need consistency.
Don't worry. Edelman will be below Amendola on the depth chart at the "Z" wide receiver position.

Don't worry. Edelman will be below Amendola on the depth chart at the "Z" wide receiver position.

I think the real battle for a depth chart position will be between Boyce and Edelman.

Re: BB on Edelman

Having a couple of defensive backups on this list is no big deal.

On the other hand, having four receivers on the list is not good at all. Considering the injuries to Gronk and Fells, the list on offense gets truly gruesome.

Bill is assembling quite the All-Glass Team:

Amendola
Edelman
Ballard
Sudfeld
Dowling
Fletcher

Ok.. but don't say I told you so. I'm telling you I think this year will be his year. I've seen other players come back and stay healthy after suffering FAR worse injuries in my life time.

I love Edelmans upside. Great STs player, very underrated as a WR. And emergency QB along with emergency DB isn't really a negative either. But it's hard to get too excited about him when he hasn't shown he can handle a full seasons workload.

I love Edelmans upside. Great STs player, very underrated as a WR. And emergency QB along with emergency DB isn't really a negative either. But it's hard to get too excited about him when he hasn't shown he can handle a full seasons workload.

I dunno, but I'm guessing when it comes to "emergency QB," he would not be ahead of He Who Derails Threads. :)

They probably would have beaten the Giants in the regular season, though, so that would have changed their SB opponent.

I was no fan of either lil' Jimmy Sanders or especially Stomper, but as your 2nd point stated,
had Sanders been on the field in the 4th quarter of the 1st Jints game instead of Patty Chung
(who single-handedly cost us the game - he and the incompetent clock management during the
Pats' penultimate drive), then the Jints do not make the POs.

As to your first point, the reason that both Stomper & Sanders should've been retained is that
Bill had Absolute Zero quality safeties (except Chung, I suppose) on the roster behind them.

Having a couple of defensive backups on this list is no big deal.

On the other hand, having four receivers on the list is not good at all. Considering the injuries to Gronk and Fells, the list on offense gets truly gruesome.

What injury to Fells?

What injury to Fells?

Fells was hurt last year. I think his shin. I think we will be happy with his play when completely healthy.

OK thanks. I thought that there was a new injury to him.

I dunno, but I'm guessing when it comes to "emergency QB," he would not be ahead of He Who Derails Threads. :)

HE? Don't you mean YOU? Case in point THIS IS AN EDELMAN THREAD NOBODY HAD MENTIONED TEBOW NOW SHUT YOUR HOLE AND ALLOW IT TO STAY ON TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back