PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman Now A Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is precisely why I said no one SHOULD be a lock and not no one IS a lock.

Really? At this point in the preaseason, Tom Brady shoudn't be a lock to make the team?

Slater is a good WR against 3s. I wonder what he can do in the real world. Anyway, we still need a stud on STs, and he is it.

Edelmonster always plays tough. The dude shows heart and I would love to see him on the team long-term.

I wish BT could take BM with him and be replaced with a decent safety.

Is it weird that my least favorite Pats are a BM and DB?

Edelman is my favorite Patriot. I find myself keying in on him because he plays ever down like it is his last. The guy is awesome on returns.
Just like when Manny, Papi, and now AGon come to bat, I don't leave the room when Edelman is on the field because I feel like anything can happen.

I don't dislike Darius Butler (DB)…but I wish he'd suck less.

Edelman is my favorite Patriot. I find myself keying in on him because he plays ever down like it is his last. The guy is awesome on returns.
Just like when Manny, Papi, and now AGon come to bat, I don't leave the room when Edelman is on the field because I feel like anything can happen.

Neither do I but right now I prefer Wilhite to Butler. Wilhite does more (yeah..i know) with less talent than Butler. Butler is on his own island. He has talent but does jack squat with it. Gets beat by everyone including 3rd stringers.

Nailed it.

As far as the WR spots are concerned I think Tate is clearly the odd man out. Given the opportunity Edelman could put up real solid numbers. And he is versatile, playing on special teams as well, while Tate seems to offer little as a pass catcher. We all know how this staff values players who do more then one thing well.

Really? At this point in the preaseason, Tom Brady shoudn't be a lock to make the team?

So:rolleyes: Are you going on record as saying Tom Brady is not a lock to make the team? yes or no

So:rolleyes: Are you going on record as saying Tom Brady is not a lock to make the team? yes or no

818885_300.jpg

I still think back to that debacle against the Ravens in the playoffs. Whenever the Pats lie down, Edelman seems to be at his best.

One thing that really helps Edelman is that kick off returns need to be treated like punt now. I have been watching the preseason and it seems the straight line kick returners who could bring the ball back on the 30-40 on a regular basis are getting stopped frequently around the 15 during this preseason. You need a guy now who can make the first guy miss and can change direction on a dime, not the guy who can get past the 20 before the first coverage guy can get down the field to get to him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Edelman is doing kick returns this year because I think punt return guys may be the new kick returners (assuming they weren't already).

That said, I am still concerned about Edelman as a receiver. I thought he was going to make a big step last year, but he utterly regressed. Yes, he is mostly used as a slot receiver, but he has the speed and size to line up outside and do what Branch does. Whether he can be successful at it is yet to be seen.

He needs to step up his game on offense because the Pats cannot keep two WR slots for pure special teamers (I assume Slater will stay, but that isn't a given since gunners aren't nearly as important with the new kick off rule). He needs to show something on offense.

I still think back to that debacle against the Ravens in the playoffs. Whenever the Pats lie down, Edelman seems to be at his best.

Me too. Edelman and Faulk were the only ones that showed any heart in that game. I'll keep guys like that on my team anytime.

One thing that really helps Edelman is that kick off returns need to be treated like punt now. I have been watching the preseason and it seems the straight line kick returners who could bring the ball back on the 30-40 on a regular basis are getting stopped frequently around the 15 during this preseason. You need a guy now who can make the first guy miss and can change direction on a dime, not the guy who can get past the 20 before the first coverage guy can get down the field to get to him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Edelman is doing kick returns this year because I think punt return guys may be the new kick returners (assuming they weren't already).

That said, I am still concerned about Edelman as a receiver. I thought he was going to make a big step last year, but he utterly regressed. Yes, he is mostly used as a slot receiver, but he has the speed and size to line up outside and do what Branch does. Whether he can be successful at it is yet to be seen.

He needs to step up his game on offense because the Pats cannot keep two WR slots for pure special teamers (I assume Slater will stay, but that isn't a given since gunners aren't nearly as important with the new kick off rule). He needs to show something on offense.

How much playing time has Edelman had? It seems pretty obvious that after guys get more playing time they tend to warm up if they have any real talent, even Curtis Painter played much better this last pre-season game. I think if Edelman got more time he’d blossom.

How much playing time has Edelman had? It seems pretty obvious that after guys get more playing time they tend to warm up if they have any real talent, even Curtis Painter played much better this last pre-season game. I think if Edelman got more time he’d blossom.

The Pats had WR depth issues last year. If he was playing well enough, he would have gotten more reps. If Edelman is waiting for more playing to get better so he can get more playing time, he will be waiting forever.

The guy had something like 4 catches for 40 yards all season other than the last game when Branch and Welker sat out. He needs to step that up.

Yea edelmans best games are all losses, jets in 09 ravens playoffs and jets in playoffs. Anyone have a video of those two 4th downs the ravens? Determination at it's best. Still waiting for him to throw a pass on a reverse or something tho, cmon belichick ;) .

I think his biggest problem is staying on the field. It seems like if he gets any amount of playing time in a game, he misses the next few games.

I really like Edelman because he is consistent and reliable. He also seems to improve every year. This definitely means the end of Brandon Tate, hopefully he can help another team because he does still have plenty of talent.

I really like Edelman because he is consistent and reliable. He also seems to improve every year. This definitely means the end of Brandon Tate, hopefully he can help another team because he does still have plenty of talent.

Huh?!? Edelman regressed last year. In 2009, he had 37 catches for 359 yards and a TD. Last year he had 7 catches for 86 yards and no TDs and half of those catches and yards came in the final game when the Pats rested Welker and Branch.

Huh?!? Edelman regressed last year. In 2009, he had 37 catches for 359 yards and a TD. Last year he had 7 catches for 86 yards and no TDs and half of those catches and yards came in the final game when the Pats rested Welker and Branch.

Stats always tell the whole story and there is never anything more to discuss.

1) No one else is retruning punts.

2) He was out #3 receiver this preseason.

3) Edelman is the abckup for Welker in the slot.

4) BOTTOM LINE
Edelman is at the least the #5 receiver at this point, probably #4.

Agree, but then I never put much stock in those that insisted he should be cut anyway.

He regressed as a receiver, but he did improve as a PR (he set a team record for PR average, and finished #2 in the league, behind Devin Hester, among players averaging 1+ PR/game).

He regressed as a receiver, but he did improve as a PR (he set a team record for PR average, and finished #2 in the league, behind Devin Hester, among players averaging 1+ PR/game).

Yeah, but the Pats need him to be more than just a special teamer. The Pats had depth at WR issues last year. Luckily neither Welker or Branch got hurt. You can't count of Branch being healthy an entire season again. His history tells you he will miss games. Edelman needs to pick up the offensive part of his game because unlike last year, they may need him to step up and play a big role in the offense for a game or two.

Edelman is our punt returner, and seems able to step in when someone else in injured. He even can return kicks.

We don't need him to do more than this.

Yeah, but the Pats need him to be more than just a special teamer. The Pats had depth at WR issues last year. Luckily neither Welker or Branch got hurt. You can't count of Branch being healthy an entire season again. His history tells you he will miss games. Edelman needs to pick up the offensive part of his game because unlike last year, they may need him to step up and play a big role in the offense for a game or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back