PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman Now A Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tate just doesn't have any wiggle to him ... very stiff in the hips.

Anyways I had him done last year and i agree with you.

Tate's survival on the roster will be due to injury to another WR ahead of him on the depth chart - or an injury to Tate.

How about packaging Tate and a CB for a good back up RG that can take snaps at Center, so Rich O. can be dispensed with.

edelman has always been a lock with branch and wes in the final year of contract.

watching the game it seems slater has developed a bit as a WR and maybe at this point be equal to tate .He has size and speed and if he can put a little WR play thrown in can be effective in certain packages.

Tate's survival on the roster will be due to injury to another WR ahead of him on the depth chart - or an injury to Tate.

How about packaging Tate and a CB for a good back up RG that can take snaps at Center, so Rich O. can be dispensed with.
Should have lots of teams chomping at the bit for a chance to trade for Tate. While we are at it, we should trade Tom Austin for a quality backup safety.

Slater is a good WR against 3s. I wonder what he can do in the real world. Anyway, we still need a stud on STs, and he is it.

Edelmonster always plays tough. The dude shows heart and I would love to see him on the team long-term.

I wish BT could take BM with him and be replaced with a decent safety.

Is it weird that my least favorite Pats are a BM and DB?

Last edited:
He was never really on the bubble, IMHO.

I had him on the bubble, however he looked far better than his teamates that are fighting for a roster spot.
I'd say he's on the team

Slater is a good WR against 3s. I wonder what he can do in the real world. Anyway, we still need a stud on STs, and he is it.

Edelmonster always plays tough. The dude shows heart and I would love to see him on the team long-term.

I wish BT could take BM with him and be replaced with a decent safety.

Is it weird that my least favorite Pats are a BM and DB?

Who or what is DB? Not DaBruinz, I hope.

At what point was Edelman NOT a lock? He's been a lock the whole time, IMO. No chance he was going to get let go, especially considering his flexibility, his Welker-like skill-set and the fact that we have two starting WRs (including Welker) in the last year of their contracts.

It doesn't matter now, but if Price performed well, we were all set at WR with Welker (2011), Branch (2012), Ocho (2013), and Price (2013).

Once Ocho signed, it seemed to almost all that we we would cut one of Edelman, Tate and Price, with Tate being the most likely. This is NOT a lock situation,

WHAT HAS HAPPENED
1) Price has not really stepped up to be a starter quality player.
2) Welker is injured.
3) Tate has looked like the #7 receiver that he is.
4) The kr position is less important (by at least a little) than in previous years,

BOTTOM LINE
Edelman is now a lock. I understand that he already was for many. Many would have kept Edelman no matter how good Price and Tate performed. I disagreed then, but it doesn't matter now.

At what point was Edelman NOT a lock? He's been a lock the whole time, IMO. No chance he was going to get let go, especially considering his flexibility, his Welker-like skill-set and the fact that we have two starting WRs (including Welker) in the last year of their contracts.

Agree to disagree. Edelman was a dynamic punt returner last year. He is the closest thing we have to a back-up of Welker, who might not be on the team NEXT YEAR. Tate has been a pretty big disappointment, imo, and Price was never going to get cut this season -- he's been on the team for one year, practically a red-shirt year, and that wasn't as much his fault as the schedule of his college's graduation. I think it's fair to say the Patriots have always known Price would be a bit of a project, given the type of O his college program ran.

BOTTOM LINE
Edelman is now a lock. I understand that he already was for many. Many would have kept Edelman no matter how good Price and Tate performed. I disagreed then, but it doesn't matter now.

Who was to be Welker's backup in your "Edelmans' gone" scenario?

Don't get me wrong, I'm an Edelamn fan. But he wasn't a lock coming into pre season.
BTW... I can't start threads here at the moment. And I have the question that many Pat's fans are thinking. "Who is unhappy with the Patriots giving #85 the money?"
I think he's washed up!:deadhorse:

He is also hurt however

Hopefully nothing major

This was the tweet from reiss last night, I am not sure if he returned.

MikeReiss Mike Reiss
Good catch, Mike. RT: @MikeGiardi: Julian Edelman left the sidelines. Docs were working on his hand and/or finger #Patriots
15 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

I hope Edelman gets all return duties. He looked great on kickoff and punt returns. And even when he only had a 4 or 5 yard return on one of the punts, he still made 3 or 4 guys miss because it looked like the rest of the coverage unit wasn't even out there. I don't think he got a single block and he was still moving past a pile of 4 guys.

I hope Edelman gets all return duties. He looked great on kickoff and punt returns. And even when he only had a 4 or 5 yard return on one of the punts, he still made 3 or 4 guys miss because it looked like the rest of the coverage unit wasn't even out there. I don't think he got a single block and he was still moving past a pile of 4 guys.

Once Edelman gets into the open field, he doesn't really get "tackled"; it's more that the opposing team "brings him to a complete stop." :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm an Edelamn fan. But he wasn't a lock coming into pre season.
BTW... I can't start threads here at the moment. And I have the question that many Pat's fans are thinking. "Who is unhappy with the Patriots giving #85 the money?"
I think he's washed up!:deadhorse:

Yeah! Because he's had so long to learn an offensive system that is so similar to the one he came from. And the part that really bugs me is you never see him talking to Brady or any of the other receivers trying to learn it. The guy's totally washed up!

:bricks:

Ochco has not looked good, puting it mildly.

Branch has not caught a pass this preseason to my recollection.

The front line WRs are all getting long in the tooth.

BB is noted for surprisinfg non-emotional personnel decisions. I hardly think the situation is really like you describe it.

I think with the change of the KO Edelman might be better suited for the returns. As I see it Tate is more of a straight line speed guy; that was fine with the old KO rules, as he had enough time to get up to speed and could burst through open lanes.
But with the rule changes the space for the returner to get up to speed diminishes. It increases the ned for a shiftier returner, who can avoid the first tackle and break for a run...I think Edelman is better suited for all the returns this year.
I also think that Tate will be let go during the last cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back