PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman becomes JSn's binky!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chiefs actually have a good set of WRs now. With Bowe, Bradley, Bobby Engram, and Terrence Copper as their top 4. They are also very high on 6th round pick Quinten Lawrence, who could be another Dante Hall in the making. To round things out, they have Devard Darling who is serviceable.

Could they be a possibility? Sure. In reality, any team could take him. Its whether or not they will.

Just as a follow up, the Chiefs just signed Toomer to a 1 year deal.

Some more for those that just can't get enough Edelman:

Julian Edelman knows rookie routine by Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald

Wide receiver Julian Edelman may not have the role of punt returner down just yet, but he has the rookie routine down perfectly. The former Kent State quarterback, who may be a “Wildcat” option should he make the team, sounds like he knows his place.

“Be quiet, try not to be heard, be seen,” Edelman said yesterday, sounding like he was repeating a rookie mantra issued by Patriots coach Bill Belichick when asked what he was trying to accomplish at training camp. “That’s all I can really do. Just take the coaching they give us.”

In other words, he’s going to keep his mouth closed, and his eyes and ears open and hopefully learn enough, and show enough, to stick with the team.

continued ...

Give me a break. There's no one in the NFL that does what Welker does from the slot. I sincerely doubt that some player I've never heard of is as good as a player that has the most catches (I think) in the NFL over the past 2 years.

Welker is clearly better than Camarillo but I don't know if it is a good idea to use the I have never heard of him so he can't be as good a player line because Camarillo is developing pretty nicely and through their first 3 years there numbers are pretty similar, thats not to say Camarillo is set to have 200+ catches in the next 2 years.

I think it would "technically" flip your 2nd and 3rd QB. Like say Edelman was listed as the #2 (though taking no reps makes this unthinkable at the moment): He could play other positions, I believe as he's an active player. However, if KOC was the actual emergency QB, if he comes on the field to relieve Brady, Brady is done for the game. Is that right?

If the "emergency" QB enters the game at any position prior to the end of the third quarter, the first two QBs cannot re-enter the game at any position.

This is, in part, why Testaverde had to be the third QB in Week 17 of 2006—they couldn't have Cassel hold for Gostkowski and be QB3.

If the "emergency" QB enters the game at any position prior to the end of the third quarter, the first two QBs cannot re-enter the game at any position.

This is, in part, why Testaverde had to be the third QB in Week 17 of 2006—they couldn't have Cassel hold for Gostkowski and be QB3.

I think the whole emergency QB thing is kind of mute because Edelman at this point is clearly a developemental player and if he made the squad would likely be inactive for awhile. If we chose to go with two QBs to make room for Edelman we would just have to go without a emergency QB...some teams have done it before. BB usually likes to have the extra player in uni and has said so in the past but I cant imagine it is set in stone.

I thought that's what I was saying...

I thought that's what I was saying...

My point is that if Brady goes out and O'C went in at QB under those circumstances, they'd lose Edelman, too.

Might it be safe to say, then, that if Edelman makes the team, he won't be listed as "QB"?

Last edited:
I'm hoping to do a write up on our Saturday Camp session (got a lot of amazing photos) later today, but for now I have to say, this guy looks like GOLD to me.

Anyway, I'd be surprised to see Edelman NOT make the team right out of camp. Was practicing with the 1's on Sat.

Anyone else rooting for this guy after seeing him in camp?

Thanks for the camp info!!! Sounds like he is doing well........where do you see him fitting in most? thanks again

Thanks for the camp info!!! Sounds like he is doing well........where do you see him fitting in most? thanks again

Honestly, I'd say at WR as long as he gets the return game down. Based on how much the ST coach talked him up and talked about him learning it, I'd say it's a high priority for the team.

Honestly, I'd say at WR as long as he gets the return game down. Based on how much the ST coach talked him up and talked about him learning it, I'd say it's a high priority for the team.
It certainly looks as if the coaches like the talent/work ethic on the table and are working hard with the grinding wheel to put an edge on that blade.

More on Edelman: Edelman isn't coming up short by Glen Farley of the Quincy Patriot Ledger

Julian Edelman may be developing into a rather intriguing short story this summer.

“Yeah,” the quarterback-turned-wide receiver answered when asked if the shift in positions is best for his football career. “I’m only 5-10 and I just do what they tell me to do. That’s all I can do.”

With the exception of that day in July when he was fielding punts in much the same manner that Julio Lugo was fielding ground balls at Fenway in June, Edelman seems to be doing quite well at the Patriots’ Gillette Stadium training camp.

“I’m encouraged the way I’m learning the offense,” said Edelman, a seventh-round pick (232nd overall) in the April NFL draft. “OTAs (organized team activities), I was struggling learning my formations and my depths and everything. It’s coming along.

They threw Edelman into the Welker role tonight and, aside from being taller, it was hard to tell them apart. Edelman's got a similar turbo-boost and sticky-hands. Considering that he can also return punts, as well as be an emergency QB, I find it hard to think this kid won't make the roster by hook or by crook. And after tonight's performance, no way he slides by waivers, not a chance in hell.

I guarantee he makes the team. BB would not allow someone of his ability to play for another team. He started todays game for a reason. Welker is almost impossible to cover, throw in Edelman..... long day for the D.

I guarantee he makes the team. BB would not allow someone of his ability to play for another team. He started todays game for a reason. Welker is almost impossible to cover, throw in Edelman..... long day for the D.

I doubt we'll see much of Edelman as a pass-catcher unless drastic injuries whack the squad. But, at least if Edelman is the 5th or 6th WR, at least we know the guy might actually make some plays if called upon. I think his immediate value will be in the return game, and the fact that he can be an emergency QB. Hell, the way Belichick is shuffling the QB corps lately (cutting Gutierrez, signing Walter), I wouldn't be shocked if he only carried two QBs knowing that Edelman could be thrown in there. (Hey, he made Troy Brown play QB, and at least Edelman's more legit. Just from what we see of him in the WR/PR phase of the game, I'm all for letting him be an actual backup QB as well, he can't look any worse in preseason games than Cassel did every season, LOL...)

I doubt we'll see much of Edelman as a pass-catcher unless drastic injuries whack the squad. But, at least if Edelman is the 5th or 6th WR, at least we know the guy might actually make some plays if called upon. I think his immediate value will be in the return game, and the fact that he can be an emergency QB. Hell, the way Belichick is shuffling the QB corps lately (cutting Gutierrez, signing Walter), I wouldn't be shocked if he only carried two QBs knowing that Edelman could be thrown in there. (Hey, he made Troy Brown play QB, and at least Edelman's more legit. Just from what we see of him in the WR/PR phase of the game, I'm all for letting him be an actual backup QB as well, he can't look any worse in preseason games than Cassel did every season, LOL...)

Remember, though, that the NFL incentivizes carrying three QBs on the 53-man roster (if you call Edelman a WR, you can still dress a third QB to keep on the sidelines).

Remember, though, that the NFL incentivizes carrying three QBs on the 53-man roster (if you call Edelman a WR, you can still dress a third QB to keep on the sidelines).

I think Belichick should position the league to allow him to create a new position called SAK ("Swiss Army Knife"). Troy Brown was one of those (WR, return man, emergency DB/QB) as was Vrabel (LB and goal-line TE) and Edelman looks the same, as might Thomas (TE, goal-line FB).

And after tonight's performance, no way he slides by waivers, not a chance in hell.
Waivers ? Practice Squad ? This guy has a better chance to be the #3 WR than to be waived. The fact that he was a QB last year isn't even real.

I think Belichick should position the league to allow him to create a new position called SAK ("Swiss Army Knife"). Troy Brown was one of those (WR, return man, emergency DB/QB) as was Vrabel (LB and goal-line TE) and Edelman looks the same, as might Thomas (TE, goal-line FB).

Or maybe just ATH(lete) :) . . . or, even better, to borrow from PFnV, WTF. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore