PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman becomes JSn's binky!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grade = Aleph?

:) I still think this guy, by hook or crook, becomes a Miami Dolphin by this time next year... possibly by the end of this year. We've got Wes. They do not. The hole is there. We've also got way too much talent at the positions he plays.

And finally, with no intent to stir controversy, look at his name. Look at the composition of Miami. Look at the fact that Miami fielded not one, but two Jewish NFL quarterbacks simultaneously.

The fact that he looks like a real prospect only adds to the beauty of this notion from the Miami p.o.v.

Maybe I'm making too much of the Rosenfels/Fiedler "coincidence," maybe not. Anyway, would love to hold on to Julian, but something tells me he needs to grab his crockett & tubbs gear and his banana boat.

PFnV

Grade = Aleph?

:) I still think this guy, by hook or crook, becomes a Miami Dolphin by this time next year... possibly by the end of this year. We've got Wes. They do not. The hole is there. We've also got way too much talent at the positions he plays.

And finally, with no intent to stir controversy, look at his name. Look at the composition of Miami. Look at the fact that Miami fielded not one, but two Jewish NFL quarterbacks simultaneously.

The fact that he looks like a real prospect only adds to the beauty of this notion from the Miami p.o.v.

Maybe I'm making too much of the Rosenfels/Fiedler "coincidence," maybe not. Anyway, would love to hold on to Julian, but something tells me he needs to grab his crockett & tubbs gear and his banana boat.

PFnV

If he's not in blue and silver this fall, he'll be in white and red, as I can't see KC passing him up off the waiver wire.

I think that his chances of making the Opening Day 53 may have decreased slightly because of the Andrew Waltah signing. I had been considering a QB depth chart of Brady - KOC only, with Hoyer on the PS and Edelman on the 53 as a 3rd QB/6th WR/possible Returner. Now that Waltah is here (for now), Edelman may have to make the cut based purely as a WR/Returner. And if he shows during the pre-season what we hope he can show, then he may very well not pass through waivers unclaimed.

I think that his chances of making the Opening Day 53 may have decreased slightly because of the Andrew Waltah signing. I had been considering a QB depth chart of Brady - KOC only, with Hoyer on the PS and Edelman on the 53 as a 3rd QB/6th WR/possible Returner. Now that Waltah is here (for now), Edelman may have to make the cut based purely as a WR/Returner. And if he shows during the pre-season what we hope he can show, then he may very well not pass through waivers unclaimed.

Does not compute.

Having him as the "third QB" would basically mean he could only play in the fourth quarter.

Moss, Welker, Galloway, Lewis, Aiken, Edelman.

Nunn to PS. White cut. Slater - who has taken zero reps at receiver from what I have seen - makes the team as a safety/special-teamer.

I think that his chances of making the Opening Day 53 may have decreased slightly because of the Andrew Waltah signing. I had been considering a QB depth chart of Brady - KOC only, with Hoyer on the PS and Edelman on the 53 as a 3rd QB/6th WR/possible Returner.

I know that was a popular theory, but Edelman has taken exactly as many camp/OTA reps at QB as Ron Brace has. There's no sign that the Pats ever considered Edelman (5'10" 195) as a quarterback, so I don't think Walter makes any difference to him.

Aiken, Nunn and Edelman have all impressed in different ways. That's a nifty logjam for the 5th receiver spot.

Moss, Welker, Galloway, Lewis, Aiken, Edelman.

Nunn to PS. White to Military Reserve. Slater - who has taken zero reps at receiver from what I have seen - makes the team as a safety/special-teamer.

Why cut him now?

I went to the saturday morning practice and JE looked good and bad at the same time...Teh bad was special teams and during drills - but the good was when it got to live 9 on 7, 11 on 11 or 7 on 7 and he made great catches and looked very good..

odd prospect to project

The problem is, who would go? Moss, Welker, Lewis, Galloway, Aiken, Slater, Edeleman... (Nunn and White are probably PS-bound.) That's seven guys who have the quality to be NFL players right now. Of course, we shouldn't assume the vets automatically make it. Belichick will not hesitate to dump Lewis and/or Galloway; we've seen him do it to vets before. But Lewis and Galloway bring different things to the table and are natural subs for Welker and Moss respectively, that I'd think they'll keep those four simply for easy continuity in-game. I don't think Aiken or Slater would slide by waivers and onto the PS, so maybe one of them has a (cough cough) "injury" in training camp before the cut, and they keep six...

I don't get how you think that Greg Lewis is a replacement for Welker. Lewis is a straight line speed guy where Welker is a short area quickness guy..

Yes, Lewis has played the slot, mostly, but they are different players in terms of their sklill sets.

Neither Aiken nor Slater are eligible for the practice squad.

I wasn't that impressed with Aiken last year, to be honest. As for Slater, he's brings more on special teams than Edelman does. Slater has played on the 5 different special teams units. Edelman just does kick and punt returns, though he has only 6 punt returns to his name.

That being said, I believe that Greg Lewis and Aiken will be the ones that Edelman is battling for a spot on the roster, unless the Pats keep 6 WRs. I don't know if Edelman makes it or not. Only time will tell. Though I believe that Edelman won't make it through waivers if he is cut.

Grade = Aleph?

The Dolphins do have a version of Wes Welker. His name is Greg Camarillo. Yes, he's returning from injury, but the guy is every bit as good as Welker.

What the hell does the fact that they have two Jewish QBs have to do with ANYTHING?

PFnV

Where would Miami put Edelman? They have Ginn, Camarillo, Wilford, Bess, and Turner. Yes, they could carry 6 WRs as well, but, again, they have their Wes Welker in Greg Camarillo..

I think its more likely that another team like the Jets, Panthers or Ravens would grab Edelman than Miami.

The Dolphins do have a version of Wes Welker. His name is Greg Camarillo. Yes, he's returning from injury, but the guy is every bit as good as Welker.

Camarillo != Welker, but they realized that they didn't want to lose him the same way they lost Welker.

I think its more likely that another team like the Chiefs would grab Edelman than Miami.

KC needs WRs too.

Does not compute.

Having him as the "third QB" would basically mean he could only play in the fourth quarter.

But could he still become a game day active at another position (WR), and remain the de facto but unofficial 3rd QB if the Pats choose to keep only 2?

I know that was a popular theory, but Edelman has taken exactly as many camp/OTA reps at QB as Ron Brace has. There's no sign that the Pats ever considered Edelman (5'10" 195) as a quarterback, so I don't think Walter makes any difference to him.

Perhaps, but Waltah's signing could mean that instead of carrying just 2 QBs - Brady & KOC - the team might be considering carrying 3. That means that there will be one less spot on the 53 for somebody else, more than likely an offensive player.

But could he still become a game day active at another position (WR), and remain the de facto but unofficial 3rd QB if the Pats choose to keep only 2?

Yes and no. They could do this, but the rule about having an "emergency" QB requires that there be exactly two players designated as QBs on the 45-man roster, and that the 46th player also be designated a QB. I don't think "Wildcat" plays would count, but I could be wrong.

Yes and no. They could do this, but the rule about having an "emergency" QB requires that there be exactly two players designated as QBs on the 45-man roster, and that the 46th player also be designated a QB. I don't think "Wildcat" plays would count, but I could be wrong.

I think it would "technically" flip your 2nd and 3rd QB. Like say Edelman was listed as the #2 (though taking no reps makes this unthinkable at the moment): He could play other positions, I believe as he's an active player. However, if KOC was the actual emergency QB, if he comes on the field to relieve Brady, Brady is done for the game. Is that right?

Camarillo != Welker, but they realized that they didn't want to lose him the same way they lost Welker.

KC needs WRs too.

The Chiefs actually have a good set of WRs now. With Bowe, Bradley, Bobby Engram, and Terrence Copper as their top 4. They are also very high on 6th round pick Quinten Lawrence, who could be another Dante Hall in the making. To round things out, they have Devard Darling who is serviceable.

Could they be a possibility? Sure. In reality, any team could take him. Its whether or not they will.

Last edited:
The Chiefs actually have a good set of WRs now. With Bowe, Bradley, Bobby Engram, and Terrence Copper as their top 4. They are also very high on 6th round pick Quinten Lawrence, who could be another Dante Hall in the making. To round things out, they have Devard Darling who is serviceable.

Could they be a possibility? Sure. In reality, any team could take him. Its whether or not they will.

The Chiefs receivers are bad enough that they had a tryout with multiple receivers and are rumored to be thinking of signing Toomer.

Last edited:

Give me a break. There's no one in the NFL that does what Welker does from the slot. I sincerely doubt that some player I've never heard of is as good as a player that has the most catches (I think) in the NFL over the past 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back