PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles trade DT Isaac Sopoaga to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
His career averages per year. 27 tackles, .9 sacks, 1.9 run stuffs

Almost on pace this year 10 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 run stuff

Woo hoo... going to the SUPER BOWL NOW....

That is about as BLUE CHIP as you can get, right? ;)

Nice! Kelly, Sopoaga, Vellano. Bring in Jones in passing situations.

For the record, the Patriots used Jones on 100% of downs this weekend.

I would think that, if anything, they would tend to have Sopoaga replace Vellano on early downs more than Jones.

Like the move. There's no downside. Let's face it, there aren't any stud DT's that teams are willingly and ready to move. This is a good depth pick up that alleviates some of the pressure off of Jones and Vellano. When Kelly returns there's a good blend of vet/younger players. Now the team can focus on fixing the LB issue.

Better run-stopping on the DL is a (at least partial) fix for the LB issues.

For those of you interested in stats:

The 49ers were 4th against the run last year with Sopoaga, this year the 49ers are 21st against the run.
The Eagles were 23rd against the run last year, this year the Eagles are 13th.

Obviously you can't attribute all of that to Sopoaga as other factors matter, too, but there is no doubt that he is stout against the run.

His career averages per year. 27 tackles, .9 sacks, 1.9 run stuffs

Almost on pace this year 10 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 run stuff

Woo hoo... going to the SUPER BOWL NOW....

That is about as BLUE CHIP as you can get, right? ;)

I'll play along.

Like Wilfork, Sopoaga isn't a state mongerer. What he does is hold his ground and control his gaps so your LBs can make plays around him as opposed to 5 yards from the line of scrimmage.

The same could be said about 4th and 5th round picks and the Pats have picked up great players for those types of deals. They've also bombed out on others as well. Not saying this will work out but the compensation has little to do with it. What he did in Philly is irrelevant the key is how they use him here and how he responds.

I totally agree!

Yet the compensation DOES have something to do with it. It is dumpster diving hoping to find the gem in other people's trash. Sure if you do enough diving you will find some gems in other people's trash, but it still remains that you are digging through the trash looking for the gems.

The excitement level people have for getting someone that isn't all that good, is pretty overboard.

The "hits" meaning the gems the Pats have procured with their trades have been players that were older that had been great at one time and were resurrected or were younger malcontents that had potential.

I don't think this dumpster dive got either.

A big body is a good thing, but one that doesn't get penetration or a big push, and is easily blocked for being pretty immobile, is not.

If anyone can squeeze some juice from a used lemon, it is BB, though.

Re: Eagles traded Isaac Sopoaga to Patriots

I'm wondering if this signing also had something to do with Armstead's readiness and availability.

This is exactly the kind of deal that I was hoping the Pats would make. Got the big body that they needed and didn't pay very much to get him. Won't make headlines, but should improve the run D right away, and allow them to play something vaguely resembling the defense that they originally envisioned with Wilfork on the field.

For those of you interested in stats:

The 49ers were 4th against the run last year with Sopoaga, this year the 49ers are 21st against the run.
The Eagles were 23rd against the run last year, this year the Eagles are 13th.

Obviously you can't attribute all of that to Sopoaga as other factors matter, too, but there is no doubt that he is stout against the run.

Uh, I noticed, watching the Niners that it had more to do with their linebackers missing a lot of tackles this year. Don't know why the linebackers are not as good, but doubt it has anything to do with Sopoaga. If he was that important to the Niners wouldn't they have brought him back? I think it is evident the Eagles do not think he had anything to do with their improved run defense, wouldn't you say?

I'm wondering if this signing also had something to do with Armstead's readiness and availability.

I think anyone who's expecting Armstead to contribute this season is engaged in wishful thinking. It's week 9 and he has yet to practice in the NFL. Even if he was 100% healthy right now, he'd still be a long shot to be ready at any point this season.

In any case, Armstead isn't a NT anyways. If he's competing with anyone it's Chris Jones and Ray Vellano, and they're both performing well enough that there's no real need to take a flyer on Armstead.

Not quite sure where you are coming up with all this. He was the nt for a very good runstopping SF team last year. He signed a big contract to go to Philly, a team which sucks. But one of their strengths is stopping the run. So Philly dumps a bigger contract, gets a little bit better draft pick and the Patriots address a desperate need.

Uh, I noticed, watching the Niners that it had more to do with their linebackers missing a lot of tackles this year. Don't know why the linebackers are not as good, but doubt it has anything to do with Sopoaga. If he was that important to the Niners wouldn't they have brought him back? I think it is evident the Eagles do not think he had anything to do with their improved run defense, wouldn't you say?

I think it's evident that the Eagles have basically punted on this season and acknowledged that any advantage that they can get in the draft is more valuable than a 32 year old run-stuffer will be for them this season.

The excitement level people have for getting someone that isn't all that good, is pretty overboard.

I think your excitement over the excitement is a bit overboard. I don't think anyone is expecting for this guy to be a game changer or replace what Wilfork brought to the team. The expectations are pretty low. Someone that can help from getting run over on first down and short yardage situations. I'm not sure if you saw the Miami game but this team was in desperate need of a big body in the middle. If this guy can just hold the middle for a few plays a game then this trade is a plus.

Forget about Armstead. His NFL experience consists of May minicamp. That's it -- didn't participate in any training camp or and hasn't been in any practices so far. Even if he were to start practicing tomorrow, the odds of him being able to actually contribute this year are slim to none. Let's just hope he can be ready for training camp next year, still has his skills, and can make the leap to the NFL level.

[edit - or, what BradyFTW! said]

I think your excitement over the excitement is a bit overboard. I don't think anyone is expecting for this guy to be a game changer or replace what Wilfork brought to the team. The expectations are pretty low. Someone that can help from getting run over on first down and short yardage situations. I'm not sure if you saw the Miami game but this team was in desperate need of a big body in the middle. If this guy can just hold the middle for a few plays a game then this trade is a plus.

My early read on this guy is that he's a wet blanket on par with a Brady2Moss, or one of the other savants who've graced us with their presence here over the years.

I think it's evident that the Eagles have basically punted on this season and acknowledged that any advantage that they can get in the draft is more valuable than a 32 year old run-stuffer will be for them this season.

That very well could be. :)

When he farts, and no one is around, does it make a sound :confused:

he's a big body vet DT its a good move by the pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes