PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles trade DT Isaac Sopoaga to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the trade. They needed a wide body to anchor the line, Patriots were too soft in the middle, we saw in the Miami game that the Patriots were overcompensating to protecting the middle and then getting burned by outside runs.

Huge trade, this should help toughen up that middle and provide a breather for the other guy, much needed.

Well, to be technical, I think Ted Washington even got a sack once. :rocker:

I remember that, had the service for the poor guy right after the game.

Good article from the Philly side on why he was expendable.

This article is on his team first mentality.

I love the trade. Addresses a need, low risk and high upside.

“When we went down to San Diego three years ago I threw it 78 yards. Without a step,” said Sopoaga, who figures he can lengthen it to 80 or 85 yards with a running start. “

I see Sopoaga helping coach Brady on throwing the deep ball!

“When we went down to San Diego three years ago I threw it 78 yards. Without a step,” said Sopoaga, who figures he can lengthen it to 80 or 85 yards with a running start. “

I see Sopoaga helping coach Brady on throwing the deep ball!

"Be the coconut, Tom. Be the coconut.":)

I'm not sure why people are trying to compare Sopoaga to Wilfork. Wilfork is one of the best NT's in the game. Sopoaga is just coming here to replace the role he played in stuffing the run.

Some people need to chill out. We gave away about 20 spots in the FIFTH round of the draft for an EXPERIENCED NT who did not play a lot this year and will be relatively fresh and his biggest role will just be to take on the double team.

Plus this dude can be our lead blocker on goal line situations. Watch for more Riddley walk ins.

I'm not sure why people are trying to compare Sopoaga to Wilfork. Wilfork is one of the best NT's in the game. Sopoaga is just coming here to replace the role he played in stuffing the run.

Whoa! This man talks way too much sense.
pitchfork-mob-300x225.jpg

Uh, his average is 51 tackles. Also he has had 2.5 pd and about 2.5 run stuffs. The last 4 years being 5 run stuffs.

Anyway, I know the value of a NT is more than just stats, but the really good ones like Vince do actually get more stats and are less "invisible" than this guy. Vince had to be double teamed a lot. Does this guy have to be?

I understand everyone hoping he makes a difference, but there has been tons of misplaced hope before.
326 tackles in 9 years is not 51 a year.

His job will not be to make plays or even really tackles. Theyshould be made when they are there but IMO the most important thing he can do is just be stout and not get pushed backwards, then when others make the play it will be closer to the LOS. Chris Jones and Vellano have been good but they don't have the girth to hold the line.

One thing about Saga I love his durability at the position. This might be one of the better Defenses we have fielded in years. We should be really excellent on Third Downs.

His job will not be to make plays or even really tackles. Theyshould be made when they are there but IMO the most important thing he can do is just be stout and not get pushed backwards, then when others make the play it will be closer to the LOS. Chris Jones and Vellano have been good but they don't have the girth to hold the line.
Its not really size so much as it is technique.
The skills of leverage and hand placement are just as hard to master as running sharp routes, concentrating on the catch, and beating the jam is for a WR. Its easy to find a guy with size and strength to fit the DL, but its the technique that separates them, which is why young DTs can struggle, and the good ones seem ageless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe