PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dustin Keller Visiting Patriots 4/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, Gronk Hernandez, Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo, Chandler Jones etc. was as talent packed a team as you'd ever get by making a splash in free agency. Look what happened there.

Fortunately for us, we carefully built, rather than making a splash. We're loaded this year, IMO, before the draft and FA are over.

I don't know, if some people can't stand not having more than three Super Bowls in 15 years, I don't think they have the perspective to understand what the average team feel like seeing us go to the AFC championship with the MASH unit we fielded, then come back and sign Revis and Browner and fill ins with the draft still to come.

He's frequently not healthy. The "replacement" doesn't need to be as good as Gronk (when healthy) he just needs to be an upgrade to what we have now when Gronk isn't.

They'd prefer to play a TE heavy offense, but you can't invent players and I'm not sure The tight end at #1 would be the best move (from what I'm reading about this tight end field). I'm almost sure they'll draft a tight end and probably pick one up too, but there really aren't that many tight ends who are impact players that are available that i can see.

I want a drafted and FA tight end too, I'm just not considering one a replacement til I see him in the flesh.

They'd prefer to play a TE heavy offense, but you can't invent players and I'm not sure The tight end at #1 would be the best move (from what I'm reading about this tight end field). I'm almost sure they'll draft a tight end and probably pick one up too, but there really aren't that many tight ends who are impact players that are available that i can see.

I want a drafted and FA tight end too, I'm just not considering one a replacement til I see him in the flesh.

I don't want a TE in this draft except a late rounder, maybe that one from GA. This is a weak TE class, why spend precious draft capital on what are likely to be weak players?

Give Brady a SB win this year
Let Brady retire
Let BB retire
Let the Patriots be sub .500 for 5-6 straight years
Let the Jets win the division for those 5-6 years (Man that one is hard to take)

I'd be happier with that than I would be watching Brady coming up short for another five years. It's not even close. I find the idea of Brady being "competitve" and never winning another ring to be absolutely repellent.

Absolutely agree.
That is why I do NOT want the Pats to waste a decent draft pick on a QB this year just to take a chance (no guarantee) we have a young backup groomed for 2015. BB has signed FAs for that role; let him do so again. Use a 7th or UDFA for a long shot.
I have no problem with one or two poor seasons following Tom's departure if we spend our draft and cap space rationally ensuring we have a 2014,15,16 team surrounding Tom capable of playing against elite opponents. The draft and cap space we spend now and in 2015 will ensure that there is a core of capable players surrounding the future QB. Those future sub-par seasons will clear the decks of then older highly paid players (tough to take as a fan, but necessary) and give us draft position to rebuild.

The idea that you can just go into the draft and get an immediate impact starter at any position is foolish. They will draft and pick up free agents, but there aren't but a handful of TEs in the league that are impact players on their own teams, much less expecting that of unknown rookies. We traded up to the mid first for Daniel Graham and spent another first on Ben Watson, without getting a real double threat impact TE, much less a Gronk.

You are convinced that they can get all pros at every position yearly and money is no object. Nothing i say will dissuade you.

However, if you want to study BBs history, you'll find that he (and other top F.O.s) separate themselves not by identifying stars, but by identifying affordable role players that allow them to keep under the cap and thrive despite injuries.

If it was all about splashy 1st round picks and high priced free agents, wouldn't the Redskins, Jet, Browns etc. rule the league for years?

Of course, when you have a 1st rounder, you need to hit and lots of teams miss a lot. Maroney was a bust, but this article gives Pats high grades, especially for where they pick.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap2...s-for-first-32-draft-slots-over-last-10-years
You are obviously taking more from my posts than I mean. I am under no illusion that the Patriots will have all-pros at each position. I simply think they can get someone at TE in the draft or FA who is better than the crap they have at the position behind Gronk now. That's it. And, yes, I think they can get a DE who can rush and give the starters a break. They did sign Smith yesterday so we'll see if he can fill that role.

If it hasn't been said in any of the previous 159 posts, then I'll say it now:

Sign the (badly injured but hopefully recovered by TC) Beast.

Let Brady retire
Let BB retire
Let the Jets win the division for those 5-6 years

I'd be happier with that than I would be watching Brady coming up short for another five years. It's not even close. I find the idea of Brady being "competitve" and never winning another ring to be absolutely repellent.

Oh man, this hurts to read, because I'd make that trade, too. But sir, can we negotiate a bit? Perhaps on that item about the Jets? This is like washing down a gourmet meal with sewage water.

Let Brady retire
Let BB retire

While I agree I have a hard time seeing any team being consec. bad for 5 to 6 years in a row unless complete morons run the team.

Let Brady retire
Let BB retire

Jeez... just reading it hurts so bad, and hurts even more to think it is inevitable and will happen in next few years o_O

While I agree I have a hard time seeing any team being consec. bad for 5 to 6 years in a row unless complete morons run the team.

Which is actually an argument for it as well. Even if the Pats sold out completely on this one year and win the Super Bowl, the chances of them being bad for more than a couple years before being at least respectable again is pretty low.

Now that said, I don't think this is Brady's last season, even if he wins, so I don't mind them planning with the next two to three years in mind. Planning for year 4 and 5 though would be too much.

Last edited:
You are obviously taking more from my posts than I mean. I am under no illusion that the Patriots will have all-pros at each position. I simply think they can get someone at TE in the draft or FA who is better than the crap they have at the position behind Gronk now. That's it. And, yes, I think they can get a DE who can rush and give the starters a break. They did sign Smith yesterday so we'll see if he can fill that role.

Then we agree, since all we have is Hooman, who is a sub. I like Keller, if healthy and I could see a 3rd rounder, maybe a second, since our 2nd is almost a third. I just don't see anyone available who would, absent Gronk, make us more than average at the position.

They got a DE if he can fill the bill. We do have a star there IMO in Jones and decent developmental in Buchanan. Here again, that position in the draft is less than stellar, but If we get a Hageman, healthy Wilfork/Kelley and productive Will Smith, we can be productive there until we get a chance to acquire another stud.

Of course, all these young players will be coming up for contract soon and the merry go round starts again. The salary cap rewards smart management IMO. We went all in on cornerback this year and you have to use more smarts than money at some other positions to continue being competitive.

With the draft and FA still in play, I think we're looking pretty strong, if health is less an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST