PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dugger 4 yr extension $58 mil

I think it's an overpay for Dugger but I also like that we are signing our young good players.

Feels a bit like an overpay at 4 years $58m ($66m max) given they had him for a year at $13m. You would have imagined that 4 years $48-52m max would have been the deal. He will be almost 29 next off season and his price is more likely to be less than $13m rather than more.

All said that, glad we have him long term. Another BB drafted player locked up.
I anticipate the safety market price going up in future years more than other positions with how much the game is played in space now.

Lots more extensions to do! Look at the 2025 free agent list.

Judon, Peppers and Barmore are hopefully the top priorities.
Absolutely
If we can get most of our 2025 potential FA’s signed this year. Then next year our cap money can be spent on new additions to bolster team

You hate the move because it's for one of the players "who couldn't get us to 5 wins" but Barmore (who was also on the team that couldn't get us to 5 wins) "would have made a ton more sense"

I somewhat recognize this sort of ******** doublespeak. To help narrow it down, are you Felger or Mazz?
Barmore is 4 years younger, plays a premium position, is great versus the run and the pass, and was probably our best defender last year...is that the kind of ******** common sense that is absent from your daily life?!

Judon? Or do you see him getting traded?
Love Judon, both his play and his leadership......BUT I wouldn't have minded if they had traded him this off season and signed DHunter and gotten younger at the position. But that didn't happen. So the team will be better with Judon here. However, after this year, I'd rather spend his cap space on someone younger, rather use money to extend him further into "old age", I'd be fine with him having a fine year and him moving on IF it meant we extend Barmore.

I think it's an overpay for Dugger but I also like that we are signing our young good players.
I think it's a great signing. Probably matches or slightly exceeds the best offer he received.

Mapu hasn't proven anything yet, and SS's generally play the weak side linebacker position on the Pat's D.

We want his speed, especially with no true free safety on the team. Solid value for the Pats.

So basically we just resigned a bunch of players from 4-13 team, including Dugger who was a massive liability in coverage last year, this makes zero sense to me...

We have basically managed to blow the cap just to retain players who couldn't get us 5 wins...really hate this move!

Barmore would have made a ton more sense.

What an misinformed post.

That was a 10 win team last year with slightly above average QB play. 3 straight games where the defense held the opposing team to 10 or fewer points and they went 0-3. Eagles loss was solely on Mac Jones, the pick-6 was the difference. The Raiders game where the difference was a Jones interception in the redzone and him taking a safety. Zappe threw 3 INTs against the Bills and it was a 6 point game for the last 12 minutes of the game.. Jets game was also a winnable game with an above average QB.

That's 6 losses off the top of my head because the QB play wasn't there.

Most of the guys they retained have been the defensive side of the ball which wasn't the problem last year and that was with them missing the best pass rusher and promising rookie CB that was starting and holding his own against guys like AJ Brown, Devonta Smith, Tyreek Hill.

Last edited:
Particularly because we invested in Mapu who could handle the depth role when we do want to go dime with 2 box SS/hybrid LB types on the field.

I agree that this is the intention. I am not sure that Mapu can play FS because he is not that fast, 4.59 forty. I still worry about FS and a tall press corner opposite Gonzo. Playing dime a lot more with Barmore and and White anchoring the line would be amazing.

PFF says Gonzalez is the weakest CB in. the 5 games he played.

I don't trust anything PFF says on DBs

Who you gonna trust PFF or your lying eyes? ;)

Yes, a great message indeed. "4 wins and everyone gets new deals!"
Wow. We should have just cut all 53, d%#*!@t!

I look at the guys they kept - the only one one not on my list was Uche, but only because I thought he’d get too much.

The only one on my list who wasn’t kept was Gesicki/Brown, and the Pats upgraded there with Hooper.

As someone else said, they by ot screwed by the big CAP increase because it hugely muted the market. Beyond that, so far, so good.

Keep the players who earn their stay. It’s good for the team performance, good for the fans, and good for the locker room.

While I do agree with posters who are concerned NE is resigning a bunch of 4-13 team members, I do think they are making an effort to keep those who had the most positive impact. Especially when they were part of a D that - at times - was dynamite.

Duggar has limitations, but he also makes a few big plays. The price isn’t prohibitive and keeping young effort guys isn’t the worst idea.

The draft is crucial. The continued progress of players like Gonzalez + Barmore is important.

Too much money for my taste especially given the strong safety market we had in FA and some deals recent Safeties signed who were good replacements but much cheaper. But i like the idea of retain own talent to develop a hierarchy in the locker room

PFF says Gonzalez is the weakest CB in. the 5 games he played.

I don't trust anything PFF says on DBs
Someone made posts about this earlier this year. Does anyone’s eyes see this differently? Was he not defensive rookie player of the month? He only played in like 5 games so how can he be the worst when he received the award for 4 games? All you heard was the man went up against a gauntlet of elite wrs and passed the test. Even Tyreek Hill was complimentary about him. Why would I take what PFF says about him seriously when the best wr in the NFL says otherwise?

Those who live in Mass, that is
No, I meant
everyone GIF

:rofl:

I like Kyle Dugger as much as anyone but that's ($58M) a big number. I think most would agree.
They offered him 4 and 13 at the start they gave him 1.5 more per year, pretty much what I expected. He is now about the 6th highest paid safety with Adams and Byrard getting cut

I was listening to 98.5 this morning where Kendra said some wildly wrong things about Dugger and a caller said he's never made an impactful play. I had to turn it off.
I switch to Pandora more than I listen to Sportstalk. I used to listen to them all the time but find Bertram and his nontroversies unbearable, unfortunately the person who knows most about the Pats, Zolak, is often silent when he goes on one of his tirades.
I can't listen to Felger..

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back