PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe: 'I think Peyton is the greatest quarterback to ever play the game'

Status
Not open for further replies.
He actually said "he (Peyton) is probably the best who's played but I don't like to get into rankings."

He justified it by saying the Colts had the #1 pick after he left and he turned around the Broncos. Not really accurate but whatever.

If you want to hear something outlandish, Cowherd said he thinks Bledsoe was more talented than Montana. Talk about sucking up to your guest.

A reasonable and defensible opinion but it's not like Drew really knows a lot about playing QB. Ask BB, Parcells,...

I'm a huge Pat's fan (live and die with them), and Tom Brady is my favorite Patriot ever, but I still say the greatest QB I've ever seen is Joe Montana. 4-0 in SBs and had 11 tds ZERO INTs in those games, the most pressure filled games.

4-0 in Super Bowls is great, but the analysis is incomplete because he played in 14 seasons, not 4, and you also have to account for those other 10 seasons.

Brady needs a 4th ring to be above Montana in everyone's mind, granted, but we would still hear, even if the Pats won this year, that "4-0 is better than 4-2"

But look at it this way, if the Pats were to win this year, compare the top 8 seasons of Brady and Montana:

Brady:
4 championships
2 losses in the Super Bowl
2 losses in the conference championship

Montana:
4 championships
2 losses in the conference championship (didn't get to the Super Bowl)
2 losses in the division round (didn't get to the conference championship)

Their top 4 seasons would be equal, their next 4 season would be in every single case advantage Brady.

take it further, to the 3 times Montana didn't even make it into the playoffs, vs. one for Brady (this omits Brady's injury year in 2008 and Montana's injury year in 1992)

In other words, it is silly to think that losing in a Super Bowl game is somehow far worse than losing in an earlier round and thus not even getting there.

By the twisted logic of "4-0 is better than 4-2", one would have to think that a Patriots loss this Sunday to the Broncos is BETTER than a win would be, if the win is coupled with a loss in the Super Bowl.

You think Dew would be smart enough at this point in life not to take the bait. Even if this is his opinion, stating it publically makes him look petty and bitter. Drew has the same number of trips to the Superbowl and the same number of rings as Peyton Manning. Brady has two more rings and four more trips to the SB than either of them. Whatever Drew...

Bledsoe is entitled to his own opinions. But, the wiser move would have been to say nothing on the subject given Brady replaced him.

"The only winning move is not to play."

- Wargames circa 1983

Peyton is without a doubt the best qb to only win a single championship.

There's a compelling argument for that, just as there's a compelling argument for Brady, Montana, Marino, Elway, and Unitas. You're never going to 'win' that argument.

If the Pats win on Sunday, the argument for who is the greatest of all time is still up for debate... but Peyton is no longer in it, because no matter where the argument goes, there will always be at least one higher than him (Brady). Doesn't make Brady the GOAT, but it cements him above Manning.

Peyton is without a doubt the best qb to only win a single championship.
Steve Young or Bret Favre may argue with that.

"To me, he (Peyton Manning) is the greatest of all time"
---- Tom Brady

Yes, Tom Brady has his fair share of humility and generosity.

You guys don't get it. Drew just added another sand bag to the growing pile on Peyton Manning's shoulders.

I love this stuff. Everybody, including Drew, is jacking up the pressure on Manning to address his 4-10 record against Brady and Belichick.

Forbes magazine piled on today: Peyton Manning Vs. Tom Brady: By The Numbers - Forbes (I love how they juxtapose the numbers 1 and 199)

What if Drew had said "Tom Brady is the greatest QB to have ever played the game?" The media and Denver would have gone nuts that Drew was dissing Peyton Manning who just set the records for TDs in a season and TDs in a season plus post-season, yards per season (OOPS! No he didn't), etc.

Drew Bledsoe is just doing a little pre-emptive ball washing, adding something to the bulletin board to inspire his little buddy Tom, and is aligning himself with a long list of sand baggers by saying the other guy is the greatest ever, it's an honor to breathe in the same air etc.

A reasonable and defensible opinion but it's not like Drew really knows a lot about playing QB. Ask BB, Parcells,...

It's not like any of us have more credibility though lol.

I'm going to wait until this debate is over. I only hope to live that long.

A little too much wine from his vineyards maybe?

LOL Someone is still salty about having their job stolen

Two points:

1. I'd take Dan Marino over Peyton Manning for any game ever. Marino, IMO, blows away Manning. simply a much better QB. Better pocket presence, better release, better accuracy, better arm, better thrower, fiery.

Marino had a ton of flaws, but when I compare him to Manning, he's better.

2. The most telling stat in this whole Manning-Brady debate is the QB rating for both QBs both indoors and outdoors. Brady has a higher rating in both categories.

I'm a huge Pat's fan (live and die with them), and Tom Brady is my favorite Patriot ever, but I still say the greatest QB I've ever seen is Joe Montana. 4-0 in SBs and had 11 tds ZERO INTs in those games, the most pressure filled games. The game against the Broncos was the most perfect game I've ever seen a QB play. 22-29, 297 yards, 5 TD, 0 interceptions in a 55-10 win over Broncos.

He also had some colossal flops that kep his teams out of conference championships or SB's. His playoff record overall isn't as good as Brady's. If Brady wins another Sb in the next few years he is head and shoulders over Montana.

I mean. Drews vineyard is fine and all that but its no Jacobs creek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick