PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dre Bly traded to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget about George Foster. He was the starting RT for Denver, and their 1st rd pick 4 years ago. They just franchised Backus last year (Two years ago?). Are they looking away from Thomas at the 2nd pick?

wow they traded Tatum Bell?

Another good Running Back trade by the broncos to a stupid team.

too funny.
hes not good for them though..he doesnt run hard and fumbles a lot..thats why they wanted him goen so bad(the fans atl east)

Carriker and Okoye would probably be at the top of Denver's wish list. Maybe Johnson, Spencer and Moss as well.

They have two third round picks (skins) and could easily use one to jump up five to ten places to get the player they covet.

Broncos fill Darrent William's spot quickly; good thinking, now the team can move on more easily than if they had drafted a rookie to plug in the opening.

Bailey is as good as there is in the NFL, but I beg to differ with the reference early that Denver now has a pair of "great" CB's. Bly's not a bum but he's not anywhere near great either. I'd grade him very slightly above average.

Detroit continues it's misguided team building. Their defense was plain awful last year, so instead getting some help to keep people out of the endzone, they trade one of their better players on D for a mediocre back and O-lineman. As they say in the Guiness ad, "Brilliant!"

Granted their offense wasn't that great either but is it some kind of secret to Millen that winning starts on the defense first?

Last edited:
On the surface, nice move for the Broncos.

However, one of the key reasons why Dry Bly was available is that he is due to be a free agent at the end of 2007. His cap hit for '07 is around $5 million, and the story is that he may have already agreed to an extension with Denver as a part of this deal - That number is sure to go up.

Champ Bailey already carries a VERY high cap number for a defensive back.

So the Broncos, who play 1/4 of their games against Larry Johnson and Tomlinson, are tying up a disproportionately high percentage of their cap in two corner backs?

I dunno. That could come back to haunt them.

The wonderful irony here is that if the Lions just evaluated the draft and made their pick without consideration of their history, they might actually want Calvin Johnson, but would they have the guts?

All the supposedly great moves the Broncos make just covers up the fact that they are horrible in the draft. Outside of their linebackers they rarely hold onto any homegrown talent.

All the supposedly great moves the Broncos make just covers up the fact that they are horrible in the draft. Outside of their linebackers they rarely hold onto any homegrown talent.

Uhhh....

RBs? OL?

1 - Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt (6-3, 226)
2 - Tony Scheffler, TE, Western Michigan (6-5, 254)
4 - Brandon Marshall, WR, Central Florida (6-4, 229)
4 - Elvis Dumervil, DE/OLB, Louisville (5-11, 257)
4 - Domenik Hixon, WR, Akron (6-2, 200)
5 - Chris Kuper, G, North Dakota (6-4, 301)
6 - Greg Eslinger, C, Minnesota (6-3, 292)

Last years could be one for the ages. Cutler had great chemistry with Scheffler and Marshall. Dumerville had a mitfull of sacks. Kuper is their starting RG.

Hixon was IR and Eslinger PS, so jury's out on those two.

As has been said, their OL, LB and various other players are homegrown. They've had some big misses, but who hasn't. (besides BB in the first round)

That is one hell of a draft, especially considering everyone had Eslinger rated as a steal for them.

However, they allocated him to NFL Europe recently, which usually doesn't bode well for a player.

Uhhh....

RBs? OL?

Their marquee players are Javon Walker, Champ Bailey and John Lynch, who all started elsewhere. They went out and got the Browns' D-line in '05. Denver doesn't typically build its roster through the draft because a good percentage of picks don't turn out well, hence the high-profile trades.

Another coup by Denver. Shanahan (or as I like to call him, The Rat) didn't even like Tatum Bell, so I'm sure it was no skin off his nose to trade him away. Now they have a great set of cover corners. Perhaps their run defense will suffer with Bly in there, but they've still go the draft to try to shore up their front seven.

And I think Cutler is going to be very good next year. Ditto Javon Walker and Brandon Marshall. If they can get a running game going again they are going to be VERY, VERY good.

It's not a coup really. In reality, it's a step down from what they had in Darrent Williams, a young guy who was progressing nicely with much upside. Bly is fine but there's not a lot of upside there.

It's not a coup really. In reality, it's a step down from what they had in Darrent Williams, a young guy who was progressing nicely with much upside. Bly is fine but there's not a lot of upside there.

just because they had that unfortunate situation doesnt mean they didnt get the better of the deal. although I think detroit did pretty good in the deal. they get a fill in for jones and an olinemen for someone who was forcing his way out. all in all I would say its fair.

By the way, Champ Bailey fumbled out of the end zone. And the Samual pass interference was invisible. I want that game back.

just because they had that unfortunate situation doesnt mean they didnt get the better of the deal. although I think detroit did pretty good in the deal. they get a fill in for jones and an olinemen for someone who was forcing his way out. all in all I would say its fair.

I'm not sure what your point is. All I'm saying is they lost one CB who had a lot of potential and replaced him with a solid, but unspectacular journeyman. Not exactly a coup.

On the surface, nice move for the Broncos.

However, one of the key reasons why Dry Bly was available is that he is due to be a free agent at the end of 2007. His cap hit for '07 is around $5 million, and the story is that he may have already agreed to an extension with Denver as a part of this deal - That number is sure to go up.

Champ Bailey already carries a VERY high cap number for a defensive back.

So the Broncos, who play 1/4 of their games against Larry Johnson and Tomlinson, are tying up a disproportionately high percentage of their cap in two corner backs?

I dunno. That could come back to haunt them.

This will only help them. Having two legit shutdown cover corners will allow Denver to keep 8 men in the box.

This makes Denver that much tougher for the Pats. If they don't start using LM like the Colts use their RB's against Denver, I don't see us beating them with the WR's that we currently have.

This move also sets up the Lions to take Calvin Johnson in the draft. I wouldn't put it past 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back