PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

I see the never ending QB narratives continue unabated. Let's see how many times we all can say the same things (both positive and negative) about the QB position in the TWENTY-FOUR days we have left before the draft actually happens.

Kudos in advance to the next person who says something original. ;)

This is a nice article (hope it wasn't posted previously here) on Maye's toughness. Includes video of that massive hit on Brady by Clements in Brady's first season.

Article echoes Mayo's comments - Maye has a higher ceiling than others but also a lower floor. So they know exactly what they would be getting - a tough physical QB that can make all the throws but that needs clean-up and polish.

This is a nice article (hope it wasn't posted previously here) on Maye's toughness. Includes video of that massive hit on Brady by Clements in Brady's first season.

Article echoes Mayo's comments - Maye has a higher ceiling than others but also a lower floor. So they know exactly what they would be getting - a tough physical QB that can make all the throws but that needs clean-up and polish.

I had forgotten about that hit on Brady--for those who say the Mac Jones crying thing didn't matter, think again

I had forgotten about that hit on Brady--for those who say the Mac Jones crying thing didn't matter, think again

I think that was the last time Brady tried to run in the open field. :)

I mean the dude pretty much got his head taken off and he gets up and runs off the field. That guy was the man
If that was the previous guy he would be in a body cast. :)
Cast Hydrocodone GIF by Cuco

Last edited:
Just a hunch ... if we stay at #3.
I look at Daniels and I see shoulder injuries ...

I hope Maye is there for us ... who is better IDK ... Maye was rated a 3 at PFF.
The longer better career I think Maye and imo he is a better fit for us.

Last edited:
Just posted on QB thread

Since Washington signed Mariota and traded Howell

Since they would want similar QB’s to compliment their Offense
Is Maye or Daniels more similator to Mariota

It certainly appears that Williams and Daniels are going 1-2, and I think the chances of the Pats trading up are about nil. So the question becomes: is Maye special enough, different enough, from McCarthy or Penix to pass up the extra picks we should be able to get from a small move-down? e.g. if we could get Penix + a high 2nd rounder to better address OT/WR, are we better off or not?

It certainly appears that Williams and Daniels are going 1-2, and I think the chances of the Pats trading up are about nil. So the question becomes: is Maye special enough, different enough, from McCarthy or Penix to pass up the extra picks we should be able to get from a small move-down? e.g. if we could get Penix + a high 2nd rounder to better address OT/WR, are we better off or not?
If Pats move from #3 to where Maye and McCarthy are both gone, I want more than a 2nd.

There's much more good tape from Maye over JJ for me to end this debate.

Just two site's rankings If we drop down now and get a possible top #15 2025 along with say a round 2 this year.
and Package our #1 next year and the other #1 .... how might #3 this year compare to the possible #2 - #3 - #4 next year.
According to PFF ... Daniels and McCarthy will be picked way higher than best player available.

2024:
#2 - Williams
#6 - Daniels
#7 - Maye
#9 - Penix
#23 - McCarthy
#30 - Nix
#118 - Rattler
2025:
#2 - Sanders
#8 - Allar
#9 - Weigman
#10 - Beck

#1 - Williams
#3 - Maye
#21 - Daniels
#29 - McCarthy
#34 - Nix
#46 - Penix
#70 - Rattler

Last edited:
Williams goes to Chicago - that seems pretty certain.

If, as Curran says, the Pats think both Daniels and Maye are true NFL QBs, it becomes simple: take whichever is there at 3.

If that's crap and they preferred, say, Maye, but Washington grabs him...and weren't sold on Daniels...they decide to trade down. I'm okay with that, but my strong preference after the first three (heck, as much as any of the guys out there, but what do I know) would be Penix Jr.

I'm not really afraid of ACLs with QBs, and I agree with BCG that there's a lot to like with him. Couple of big "ifs" there, but winding up with a second 1st-rounder (and one next year) AND Penix Jr seems like a pretty good start to me.

NFL.com had Allen at a 6.40 in 2018.

They have Drake Maye at a 6.50 now. Not sure where you're getting this.

NFL.com is not the only draft profile

Multiple sites said some scouts had said Allen has the strongest arm they had ever seen

OVERALL

As a developmental prospect, Allen has the traits that make coaches drool. His arm talent, athleticism, football IQ and personality are all ideal. The question every front office will ask is if it can get the most out of him.

Last edited:
I see the never ending QB narratives continue unabated. Let's see how many times we all can say the same things (both positive and negative) about the QB position in the TWENTY-FOUR days we have left before the draft actually happens.

Kudos in advance to the next person who says something original. ;)
They ALL suck!

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back