PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

Bedard is not a qb whisperer and does not know his ass from his elbow. I trust Tim Hasselbacks opinion.
So what if he has to sit for a year or two
Worked well for Love
We can't say for sure. He was great for like 7 weeks.

Maybe he is the next Darnold

I do not like Maye. He seems like a Tribusky/Bortles like stiff. I hope the Commanders/Redskins/WFT whatever they call themselves take him. Let the Pats have Daniels

We rolled the dice on a "franchise" QB at 15.
Not arguing, but scared we blow it on the most difficult position to evaluate...again.

It's cherry picking, but I found an article that said the bust rate for QBs picked with the first 3 picks was 70%.
You don't have to look hard to find QBs that didn't pan out with the #1 overall.

Better they wait for the 6th round.

I'm gonna be in the extreme minority here but I don't want a quarterback in this year's draft.

Remember how excited we were when we got Mac10? How did that fall out? What exactly makes you think we're set up a situation where history won't just repeat itself? Personally, not seeing it.

We weren't ready to support a young QB in training, and we rushed to throw Mac to the wolves, and the result was a draft bust. Unlike the majority I don't think this was all the kid's fault. We hung him out to dry, and despite trying not to hang Brady on Jones, it was challenge mode: impossible. kid started not taking over games and generally, you know, being a kid, and it was all over but the screaming.

CLEVER people LEARN from history. Unclever people have to settle for repeating it.

I honestly don't think we're ready now either. Signing Brissett helps, but with our slapdash line and makeshift running game (no RB over 600 yards in a year where our starting QBs were struggling and we NEEDED to be able to run the ball? Really?) , you really think we're ready to let a young QB make young QB mistakes out there? You really think we can tolerate Drake May's learning experiences any better than we did with Jones? I don't. The supporting cast is simply not there and until it is, I'm not in favor of wasting some poor kid's future chasing moonbeams. Like we did (accidentally) with Brady, we need to assemble the squad, THEN draft the quarterback. Doing it the other way is a great way to waste talent.

We desperately need help on the line. We need help in the secondary. We need a big body at linebacker. We need to figure out what the hell we're doing at running back. All this needs to be done before we waste another new top pick by throwing some poor unfortunate kid to the wolves or create another RGIII who dies of being expected to do everything with nothing..

Solve those problems, and you'll win with ANY quarterback. Don't solve them, use high end talent to try to pretend they aren't there, and you will LOSE with ANY quarterback.

Last edited:
While I like the idea of building the team before getting a QB. The QBs next year are less impressive than the top 3-4, imo. If we draft Maye or JJ, I think both would vie for the top pick in 2025. My thinking is We draft one of them and let them start learning the offense while this and 2025 FA and draft used to fill holes.

In 2025 the QB will be ready to start with an improved roster. I agree as the team stands now it is not ready for a rookie QB, but with a good WR FA/trade and rookie or 2 along with a few OL we are in decent shape. That can be accomplished within the next two Fa's and drafts. Just my thought.

While I like the idea of building the team before getting a QB. The QBs next year are less impressive than the top 3-4, imo. If we draft Maye or JJ, I think both would vie for the top pick in 2025. My thinking is We draft one of them and let them start learning the offense while this and 2025 FA and draft used to fill holes.

In 2025 the QB will be ready to start with an improved roster. I agree as the team stands now it is not ready for a rookie QB, but with a good WR FA/trade and rookie or 2 along with a few OL we are in decent shape. That can be accomplished within the next two Fa's and drafts. Just my thought.
If either of them can grow into a franchise qb and take 2 years to learn the ropes and acclimatize I am okay with that . Just don't throw them to the wolves because they are drafted so high.

Something for guys to check out in the meanwhile.
All-22: Drake Maye's final college game
Durable, tough, strong, solid runner, hangs in the pocket and makes throws under pressure.
He had a few errant throws. His receivers were not great.

Looks like a great prospect to me and if he sits 1-2 years and learns from Brisset and works with Van Pelt...he will be a good QB.
He will not break in half like "twiggy" Daniels.

The idea of first trying to build the ideal 52 to then add the 53rd man in the promising rookie QB is like chasing your tail. It’s probably not going to happen all at the same time. Even if it did, who says that team who is ready to draft them will look the same in year 2, or more likely year 3 or 4, once the QB is truly ready?

He had a few errant throws
He has a lot more than a "few" errant throws in his games.

He has a lot going for him but the one constant in his games is he just misses so many easy throws that any average QB can make while under no or minimal pressure..

Now i don't know if that can be fixed or not but if it can't, he will fail as an NFL QB.

He has a lot more than a "few" errant throws in his games.

He has a lot going for him but the one constant in his games is he just misses so many easy throws that any average QB can make while under no or minimal pressure..

Now i don't know if that can be fixed or not but if it can't, he will fail as an NFL QB.
McCarthy, but do you take him at 3? Or risk trading down to 5 or lower?

McCarthy, but do you take him at 3? Or risk trading down to 5 or lower?
Trade back to 6. Take the Giants two 2nd round picks and draft JJ at 6. That also gives you way more flexibility to move around or jump back in the mid/back end of the 1st round. That's IF they LOVE McCarthy.

Trade back to 6. Take the Giants two 2nd round picks and draft JJ at 6. That also gives you way more flexibility to move around or jump back in the mid/back end of the 1st round. That's IF they LOVE McCarthy.
Giants don’t have 2 2nds anymore. They traded #39 to CAR for Brian Burns.

Durable, tough, strong, solid runner, hangs in the pocket and makes throws under pressure.
He had a few errant throws. His receivers were not great.

Looks like a great prospect to me and if he sits 1-2 years and learns from Brisset and works with Van Pelt...he will be a good QB.
He will not break in half like "twiggy" Daniels.

Maye has terrible footwork and his accuracy is horrid because of it. You'd be complaining every GameDay and every week about his accuracy if he was on the Pats.

What makes you think that his footwork is magically going to get better when it hasn't in college? He's not going to be able to play Sandlot football in the NFL like he did in College.

The IDEAL trade would be to get the Cardinals to take #3 and #34 for 4, 27, 35. I know it's a pipe dream, but other early round trades have been that way..

Atlanta having 43, 48, 74, and 79 could give them ammunition with 8 to move up.

Seeing as the Bears are the only team with two first round picks (1, 9), I don't see them wanting to part with a package of picks to move up from 9 to 3. Especially without a 2nd round pick. I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina tried to trade with Chicago since they have multiple picks in the 2nd round now.

Last edited:
Maye has terrible footwork and his accuracy is horrid because of it. You'd be complaining every GameDay and every week about his accuracy if he was on the Pats.

What makes you think that his footwork is magically going to get better when it hasn't in college? He's not going to be able to play Sandlot football in the NFL like he did in College.
Here are the lifetime PFF rating percentiles for a clean pocket throw, there are several #'s that translate to accuracy in the NFL and this is one of the better ones, but on all of the advanced stats related to accuracy he rates high:

Clean Pocket Percentile career PFF
Williams: 90
Maye: 89
Travis: 84
Penix: 79
McCarthy: 69
Rattler: 54
Daniels 36
Pratt: 27
Nix: 17
Milton: 13

Daniels and Nx improved greatly in the final year but historically have been inaccurate Qb's.

Wins above replacement level 2 year average
Maye: 1.275
Penix: 1.125
Daniels: 1.12
Williams: 1.065
Nix: 1.035
Travis: .76
McCarthy: .745
Pratt: .405
Milton: .17
Rattler: .025

His line stinks, he needs to throw while moving a lot, leads to some footwork issues but when he has a clean pocket his mechanics are very good, he's among the most accurate passers in college. He's 21 and has a terrible Coordinator.

Attachments

• QB2024Stats.jpg
    QB2024Stats.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore