PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Jones Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can think of two reasons:
1. Some sort of egregious intolerable behavioral transgression.
2. They need the roster spot.
If (2), then either it is for Siliga or to replace an injured player. Siliga seems unlikely as he just had his first practice so he would unlikely be in football condition. That leaves an injury replacement from the PS (since nobody else would be prepared to play Sun). Guys listed as questionable are: Aiken, Connolly Easley, Fleming, Jones, LaFell, Vereen, C. White. White is the only guy not present at practice. Strictly a special teams player, it would seem strange to me to replace one of the better ST guys (D. Jones) with a lesser player from the PS. Vereen already has plenty of backup on the roster. C Jones has been out for weeks so he has already been replaced. The PS LS was released, so Aiken must be good to go. If LaFell can't go, they have Tyms and Dobson on the roster. That leaves Fleming, Connolly and Easley. Easley was out last week and Moore filled in, so not sure they have a better option, though Walker, Vellano, and Bequette offer DL help. If one of Connolloy or Fleming were out, he could be replaced by Kline or Devey. If both were out they would need back up, which could come from Barker or, less likely, Hauptman.

Keeping the slot open could be strategic, but I doubt GB would require special preparation for any of the above. Nothing obvious here, but the most likely to me are that either I missed something, Jones was a bad boy, or Siliga makes a surprise return.

I agree.

The most likely options to me are that Jones was a bad boy or that a DT is being activated (Vellano or Walker). This could be needed until both Easley and Siliga are available.

The last option is that Belichick has a signing in mind. However, if that were the case, he could have waited to cut Jones until the signing was made.

But, then, even if there is to be an activation from the Practice Squad, Belichick still could have waited until today to cut Jones.

The timing could have been (1) reduce likelihood of being claimed, or (b) make GB think Siliga is returning when he is not (game planning for Siliga?). Another question for me would be, with the roster overflowing with OL and 2 on the PS, why is the team stronger with Devey than Jones?

The timing could have been (1) reduce likelihood of being claimed, or (b) make GB think Siliga is returning when he is not (game planning for Siliga?). Another question for me would be, with the roster overflowing with OL and 2 on the PS, why is the team stronger with Devey than Jones?
I remember last season around the same time they cut ties with Cole. I think down the stretch and I the playoffs Belichick uses more players as 4 down players so the need for a player like Jones or Cole is less.

Don Jones is gone, yet the Error Repeater survives…he's gotta have pics of Bill & The Prisoner
partying in the South End...

Nine is a "normal" number of offensive lineman, especially when one is expected to be our blocking tight end. Devey was a started at the beginning of the season. He has been demoted, and is now the 9th offensive lineman. I suspect that the team still thinks that he is much better than Barker.

I don't know what GB would do to game plan for Siliga.

I don't know why cutting a player makes it less likely to be picked up.

After all, Jones could have been on the roster instead of Fleming, especially with Chist White injured. He could have stayed on the roster at least a couple of more weeks. I suspect that someone will be on IR, freeing up a roster spot.

Fleming got ZERO defensive reps. I don't know how having a top gunner on the active roster instead of Fleming would have hurt our performance.

Why would Green Bay game plan for Siliga????

Seriously ... I doubt they would care - he's a JAG.

I remember last season around the same time they cut ties with Cole. I think down the stretch and I the playoffs Belichick uses more players as 4 down players so the need for a player like Jones or Cole is less.
Why does it make sense for Fleming to be on the active roster instead of Jones?

Why would Green Bay game plan for Siliga????

Seriously ... I doubt they would care - he's a JAG.

Are you trying to say that teams don't often game plan around the backup run stuffer?

That was sarcasm.

The sarcasm was missed since we have heard form some posters for many weeks how critical Siliga will be to our run defense when he returns.

The sarcasm was missed since we have heard form some posters for many weeks how critical Siliga will be to our run defense when he returns.
After the Green Bay Packers game, I would be more worried about the pass rush or lack thereof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes