PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Jones Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and sort of odd that the two practice squad players the Patriots picked up were immediately released.

No more Don Jones... signed by the Dolphins. Still haven't seen who has been signed for the roster spot or the 2 new practice squad openings

...and sort of odd that the two practice squad players the Patriots picked up were immediately released.

Not at all. The Pats do this kind of thing all the time. They brought Hughlett in for a few days in case Aiken wasn't ready, then let him go once they determined Aiken was improving. Basic risk management. Don Jones was obviously cut for other reasons. They probably waited until Thursday in the hope he would clear waivers and make it to the PS, but Miami spoiled that one - not the first time this season that has happened, IIRC.

The OPEN question is why the roster spot was needed this week. i guess we'll find out tomorrow. Obviously if Aiken was not able to go, we would have activated Hughlett. I could see cutting Jones then.

There was no NEED to cut Jones early, especially with Christ White now injured.

Disappointing, but if BB was going to be crying about this, he wouldn't have put him on the waiver market in the first place.

Now let's hope Butler doesn't get Amendola or Minitron ended when on special teams!!

Too bad for Don Jones. Now he has to go from potentially winning a SB to the swamp team that will most probably miss the playoffs closely..

Too bad. Very good special teams player. Odd turn of events.
Best wishes Don Jones.

Eric Edholm ‏@Eric_Edholm
#Patriots waived Don Jones today on Thanksgiving, hoping to sneak him through to practice squad and eventually back to the 53, per source.

Yeah well, screw you Edholm and your "per source"

You both made it just that little bit more likely that another team is going to the do the if-Belichick-still-wants-him-maybe-we-should-take-a-look-at-him math and pick him up.

Last edited:
Not at all. The Pats do this kind of thing all the time. They brought Hughlett in for a few days in case Aiken wasn't ready, then let him go once they determined Aiken was improving. Basic risk management. Don Jones was obviously cut for other reasons. They probably waited until Thursday in the hope he would clear waivers and make it to the PS, but Miami spoiled that one - not the first time this season that has happened, IIRC.

Aiken improving? That is news!

Yeah well, screw you Edholm and your "per source"

You both made it just that little bit more likely that another team is going to the do the if-Belichick-still-wants-him-maybe-we-should-take-a-look-at-him math and pick him up.

I really don't think you sneak players past modern front offices. They might have a damn app on their cell phones that lights up when somebody is cut.

The only issue for me was the timing. Belichick opened a roster spot for no apparent reason. If Aiken couldn't play, Jones could have been cut on Saturday. Since Jones was cut, Chris White was injured. We are down two top special teamers compared to last week.

Of course, Belichick may have a different need for the roster spot. Also, there may be some non-football reason for the cutting of Jones.

We posters simply don't have the information.

I really don't think you sneak players past modern front offices. They might have a damn app on their cell phones that lights up when somebody is cut.

When you hear a coach is trying to sneak a player through waivers, your interest level perks up a bit. Why, because we all know there's a difference in talent and coachability between a player a coach has given up on and the player he hopes to have back.

That reporter and his source just made it a little more likely that other teams would believe the latter was the case regarding Belichick and Jones.

When you hear a coach is trying to sneak a player through waivers, your interest level perks up a bit. Why, because we all know there's a difference in talent and coachability between a player a coach has given up on and the player he hopes to have back.

That reporter and his source just made it a little more likely that other teams would believe the latter was the case regarding Belichick and Jones.
What makes you think that NFL front office guys are not at least as football savvy as the members of this forum. News of the Jones waiver was bound to trigger revealing analysis, similar to what's on this thread, particularly within the division.

What makes you think that NFL front office guys are not at least as football savvy as the members of this forum. News of the Jones waiver was bound to trigger revealing analysis, similar to what's on this thread, particularly within the division.

I'm not sure why my point is being lost here.

Do you think Belichick wants other teams to know when he is hoping to resign a player he just waived back to the 53?

Having a reporter quote a source stating that Belichick is hoping to do just this is giving the enemy free information.

31 teams might not give the slightest credence to what a reporter's source has to say on the matter.

But then again, they might.

Do you think Belichick wants other teams to know when he is hoping to resign a player he just waived back to the 53?

Having a reporter quote a source stating that Belichick is hoping to do just this is giving the enemy free information.

31 teams might not give the slightest credence to what a reporter's source has to say on the matter.

I understand your point. My counter is that the front office of other teams would well understand the possibility/probability of the Pats' desire to have Jones slide through wavers and onto the PS without that fact being pointed out by some intrepid reporter.

Why would that matter? He was cut, if he'd improve their team, they'd pick him up.

Are you suggesting they would sign someone they don't want and tie up a roster spot so BB couldn't put them on the PS? that's silly.

It's too bad. I was really hoping BB finally found his replacement for Ventrone.

Why would that matter? He was cut, if he'd improve their team, they'd pick him up.

Are you suggesting they would sign someone they don't want and tie up a roster spot so BB couldn't put them on the PS? that's silly.

Twice I used the phrase "just a little bit more likely" to describe what impact I felt a professional reporter's source and report might have in contributing to amount of information available to 31 other teams that could help them come to the conclusion that Belichick felt this kid was still NFL worthy.

Sure, 31 other teams can certainly ascertain on their own and with absolutely no input from the outside what Belichick's interest level actually is.

In the end the difference between zero impact and the phrase "just a little bit more likely" is pretty minimal. Not sure its worthy of being labelled as "silly".

Silly is thinking that Belichick arranged with Blount to get himself waived so that 32 teams could then pass on him and the Patriots could be there to pick him up out of Free Agency.

The question that we have not discussed much is why Jones was cut. I have seen little discussion with regard to how we might use the roster spot this weekend. It seems that Jones could be have left on the roster, with him being inactive this week.

Since Chris White is injured, I think that Jones would have been active for this game.

The question that we have not discussed much is why Jones was cut. I have seen little discussion with regard to how we might use the roster spot this weekend. It seems that Jones could be have left on the roster, with him being inactive this week.

Since Chris White is injured, I think that Jones would have been active for this game.
I can think of two reasons:
1. Some sort of egregious intolerable behavioral transgression.
2. They need the roster spot.
If (2), then either it is for Siliga or to replace an injured player. Siliga seems unlikely as he just had his first practice so he would unlikely be in football condition. That leaves an injury replacement from the PS (since nobody else would be prepared to play Sun). Guys listed as questionable are: Aiken, Connolly Easley, Fleming, Jones, LaFell, Vereen, C. White. White is the only guy not present at practice. Strictly a special teams player, it would seem strange to me to replace one of the better ST guys (D. Jones) with a lesser player from the PS (unless LB is so thin they need Fleming). Vereen already has plenty of backup on the roster. C Jones has been out for weeks so he has already been replaced. The PS LS was released, so Aiken must be good to go. If LaFell can't go, they have Tyms and Dobson on the roster. That leaves Fleming, Connolly and Easley. Easley was out last week and Moore filled in, so not sure they have a better option, though Walker, Vellano, and Bequette offer DL help. If one of Connolly or Fleming were out, he could be replaced by Cannon, Kline or Devey. If both were out they could need back up, which could come from Barker or, less likely, Hauptman.

Keeping the slot open could be strategic, but I doubt GB would require special preparation for any of the above. Nothing obvious here, but the most likely to me are that either I missed something, Jones was a bad boy, or Siliga makes a surprise return.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes