PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks: AFC East training-camp preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
T-ShirtDynasty said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/07/11/tc.preview.afc.east/index.html

More of the same... Fish won their last six games and have Culpepper now, so they're on the rise. Pats lost Adam, Willie and Givens, so they're in transition. Yada yada yada. Still an okay off-season read for those looking to avoid work. ;)

They just love to write off these Patriots this summer. Seems to be the popular theme for all prognosticators. Luckily, they are almost always w-r-o-n-g and will be once again.

Ho Hum.......we get #4 this year.

Team in Transition or Lost in Transition ?

Banks calls the Pats 'Team in Transition' and that is not the first we have heard it this off-season. But the way the writers spin it - it sounds more like the team is 'Lost in Transition' to (almost) quote a recent good movie title.

BB says that each new year is the rebuilding process and starting to push the boulder up the mountain all over again. It seems each year is a big transition with new FA's & rookies coming in the front door while traitors and scapegoats are quickly leaving out the back door.

I think each year we panic just a little looking at the loss of personnel. But the system is still intact - a system which has exceeded all our our wildest dreams. I'm not saying we shouldn't be somewhat critical - let's all have a go at it here in the verbal (gladiator) forum. It is fun to play 'arm chair General Manager'. But transition is not the devil it is made out to be. It allows the aquisition of new young blood and the letting go of unfulfilled hopes. It is HOW the transition is handled that determines the ensueing result the following season. And my money is still on BB / SP.

Or should we just fire all the coaches and clean house every few years to put the 'fear of god' in the troops / shake things up a bit? It seems to be a common theme throughout the league. If everyone else is doing it - doesn't that make it right? :cool:

Last edited:
At least he didn't harp on the fact that the Dolphins won their last six games in 2005, my nominee for Most Frequently Quoted Misleading Statistic by the NFL Media. Playing at home, they barely beat the Patriots 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Had the Patriots needed the game and played their first team all the way, they almost certainly would have beaten that sorry Fins team. Then the Fins would have finished 8-8 and the Pats would have finished 11-5, and the media would have had to find some other misleading stat to harp on.

PromisedLand said:
At least he didn't harp on the fact that the Dolphins won their last six games in 2005, my nominee for Most Frequently Quoted Misleading Statistic by the NFL Media. Playing at home, they barely beat the Patriots 2nd and 3rd stringers.
Or if Cassell didn't have that 2 pt conversion pass slip out of his hand. Shame that was - damn rookies. (thanks for moving up 5 extra draft slots though).

SunnyDenmark said:
Or if Cassell didn't have that 2 pt conversion pass slip out of his hand. Shame that was - damn rookies. (thanks for moving up 5 extra draft slots though).
Exactly. BB and Cassell will never admit it but let's be honest - they really didn't want to win that game (wink, wink).

PromisedLand said:
Exactly. BB and Cassell will never admit it but let's be honest - they really didn't want to win that game (wink, wink).
I didn't see the game (only heard it via Internet) - but I recall the announcers generally saying something about BB giving a very animated lecture to Cassell on the sidelines (during a timeout) just before the 2 point conversion attempt. It didn't sound as if BB was to happy with the long TD drive. Did the TV show this (the timeout 'chat') at all?

T-ShirtDynasty said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/07/11/tc.preview.afc.east/index.html

More of the same... Fish won their last six games and have Culpepper now, so they're on the rise. Pats lost Adam, Willie and Givens, so they're in transition. Yada yada yada. Still an okay off-season read for those looking to avoid work. ;)

Hmmm - Patriots lose players, AFC upstart gains players.... must be a winning formula, no?

Go back to 2003 and see what they were saying about the Bills signing of Takeo Spikes and Jeff Posey, Sam Adams and, of course, Lawyer Milloy, adding all that to an offense featuring Drew Bledsoe, Eric Moulds and Travis Henry.

What'd they finish that year?

I know I'm in the minority here but I actually thought it was a fair assesment from an outsiders perspective. Every team right now is excited about its newcomers particularly from the draft since not every team spends big for free agency. Even if we believe that we've covered most of our FA losses through our acquisitions of new players, that's a common reaction across the NFL before training camp, preseason and the regular season has started.

He didn't crucify the Pats for losing talent (and as much as we'd like to deny this sometimes, Willie, DG, and AV are talented playmakers), he merely stated that we would have to transition or get used to not having them around and putting new people in their place. I think that's fair.

Last edited:
feelthepain said:
So because the Bills didn't win the East it means the Fins won't? Well you'll always have hope.

Yup - I had hope in 2001, 2003, and 2004 too!

Everyone has hope this time of year.

The lesson to be learned however is that teams making a big splash in Free Agency aren't necessarilly any more likely to make it to the playoffs, so I just wouldn't put too much stock in what probably seems like a good offseason to most Fin Fans.

Buffalo fans must have been pretty pumped with those signings as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
SunnyDenmark said:
hee hee

If that missed pass made maroney possible (and trading up for Jackson), I think it was the best incomplete pass i've seen in a long time.

smg93 said:
I know I'm in the minority here but I actually thought it was a fair assesment from an outsiders perspective. Every team right now is excited about its newcomers particularly from the draft since not every team spends big for free agency. Even if we believe that we've covered most of our FA losses through our acquisitions of new players, that's a common reaction across the NFL before training camp, preseason and the regular season has started.

He didn't crucify the Pats for losing talent (and as much as we'd like to deny this sometimes, Willie, DG, and AV are talented playmakers), he merely stated that we would have to transition or get used to not having them around and putting new people in their place. I think that's fair.

after i read it, i am, too, with you.
he was fair also imho.
he didn't say something bad about us.

feelthepain said:
The lesson to be learned is the Fins aren't Buffalo and this isn't 2001,2003 or 2004. As for putting stock in anything, you base everything between the Fins and Pats on something that happend in the past. Well the fins once dominated the Pats and that changed so why is it not going to change again?? Because you don't want it to change? Thats nothing you can control with wishful thinking. If Miami wants it more then NE then Miami will win the division. If you look at all the Pats have won over the last few years they aren't nearly as hungry for a SB win as the Fins, add an elite QB and a HC with the ability and tools to win and Miami could win the division this year. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but Miami could win the division.

Before 2001 and a SB victory who thought the Pats were a SB caliber team?? Who gave them credit to win the division?? Funny how you don't recognize a team that's in the same position your Pats were just 5 short years ago. Who would've called Brady the best QB in the league before the 2001 season?? Enjoy the fact that your team is favored, because it won't last long.

Why exactly is it that you decry the self-assurance and guarantee of a Division Championship by others and then express the same "chutzpah" yourself?

Regardless, I've made no such guarantee - I'm merely pointing out that when it comes to free agency, the Whole can be less than the sum of the parts.

The Bills had one of the best teams on paper - and that's all they had. Other teams too have often fallen into that trap, like the Redskins, spending tons of $ on expensive free agents and having very little in terms of a good deep middle class of backups.

In the recent past, most teams who have made the biggest free agent splashes have faltered, while the Patriots have remained strong and consistent.

So anything is possible - including the possibility that the Dolphins have peaked in the offseason.

By the way, I've enjoyed these last 5 years of the Patriots being favored IMMENSELY! Thanks for asking!

Last edited:
feelthepain said:
I'll say it again....Miami isn't Buffalo, so what the Bills appeared to be on paper has no bearing on the 06 fins. You also ignore the fact that the Pats had to start their winning somewhere. For the Pats it was 01 for the Fins it's 06. We may not win a SB but we will be one of the teams other teams want to beat this year. Saban has started to add his peices to the puzzle, he won't be coaching a team with DW and RS parts. These are peices Saban brings in that fit what he wants to do. Adding Dom Capers gives Miami an expert at running the 3-4 in the NFL. Getting younger and faster in the secondary will allow Maimi to apply pressure up front without getting burned deep. Bringing in DC gives Miami a legit QB that has put up sick numbers in the NFL.

You can look at Miami as a good team on paper, but Saban like BB won't allow Miami to live off ego's. They will have to produce or find themselves looking for work. Saban will cut a player faster then you can blink, sound familiar?? I think BB has proven the same, not affarid to make a bold move to make his team better. If you think because Saban hasn't won a SB it means he's not to be feared then you are underestimating your competition. I'll bet BB isn't underesimating what Saban can do. Pat fans are so full of themselves and the winning in NE that they don't want to give it up, well it's not your choice to do so. You've seen a great deal of good fortune and good luck, it doesn't last forever, no matter how tightly you hold on to the hope.

BTW show me where I guranteed Miami wins the division.

So what's your point?

SunnyDenmark said:
I didn't see the game (only heard it via Internet) - but I recall the announcers generally saying something about BB giving a very animated lecture to Cassell on the sidelines (during a timeout) just before the 2 point conversion attempt. It didn't sound as if BB was to happy with the long TD drive. Did the TV show this (the timeout 'chat') at all?
I don't recall seeing it, but BB being animated probably means he was coaching and not telling Matt to take a dive.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeSixPat said:
Hmmm - Patriots lose players, AFC upstart gains players.... must be a winning formula, no?

Go back to 2003 and see what they were saying about the Bills signing of Takeo Spikes and Jeff Posey, Sam Adams and, of course, Lawyer Milloy, adding all that to an offense featuring Drew Bledsoe, Eric Moulds and Travis Henry.

What'd they finish that year?
I remember BB said in some SB dvd regarding the Milloy release, "Its not about collecting talent, its about building a team". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News