Welcome to PatsFans.com

Don Banks: AFC East training-camp preview

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by T-ShirtDynasty, Jul 12, 2006.

1. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

2. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

#17 Jersey

They just love to write off these Patriots this summer. Seems to be the popular theme for all prognosticators. Luckily, they are almost always w-r-o-n-g and will be once again.

Ho Hum.......we get #4 this year.
  3. SunnyDenmark

SunnyDenmark Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Team in Transition or Lost in Transition ?

Banks calls the Pats 'Team in Transition' and that is not the first we have heard it this off-season. But the way the writers spin it - it sounds more like the team is 'Lost in Transition' to (almost) quote a recent good movie title.

BB says that each new year is the rebuilding process and starting to push the boulder up the mountain all over again. It seems each year is a big transition with new FA's & rookies coming in the front door while traitors and scapegoats are quickly leaving out the back door.

I think each year we panic just a little looking at the loss of personnel. But the system is still intact - a system which has exceeded all our our wildest dreams. I'm not saying we shouldn't be somewhat critical - let's all have a go at it here in the verbal (gladiator) forum. It is fun to play 'arm chair General Manager'. But transition is not the devil it is made out to be. It allows the aquisition of new young blood and the letting go of unfulfilled hopes. It is HOW the transition is handled that determines the ensueing result the following season. And my money is still on BB / SP.

Or should we just fire all the coaches and clean house every few years to put the 'fear of god' in the troops / shake things up a bit? It seems to be a common theme throughout the league. If everyone else is doing it - doesn't that make it right? :cool:
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  4. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

At least he didn't harp on the fact that the Dolphins won their last six games in 2005, my nominee for Most Frequently Quoted Misleading Statistic by the NFL Media. Playing at home, they barely beat the Patriots 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Had the Patriots needed the game and played their first team all the way, they almost certainly would have beaten that sorry Fins team. Then the Fins would have finished 8-8 and the Pats would have finished 11-5, and the media would have had to find some other misleading stat to harp on.
  5. SunnyDenmark

SunnyDenmark Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Or if Cassell didn't have that 2 pt conversion pass slip out of his hand. Shame that was - damn rookies. (thanks for moving up 5 extra draft slots though).
  6. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Exactly. BB and Cassell will never admit it but let's be honest - they really didn't want to win that game (wink, wink).
  7. SunnyDenmark

SunnyDenmark Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I didn't see the game (only heard it via Internet) - but I recall the announcers generally saying something about BB giving a very animated lecture to Cassell on the sidelines (during a timeout) just before the 2 point conversion attempt. It didn't sound as if BB was to happy with the long TD drive. Did the TV show this (the timeout 'chat') at all?
  8. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +59 / 2 / -0

Hmmm - Patriots lose players, AFC upstart gains players.... must be a winning formula, no?

Go back to 2003 and see what they were saying about the Bills signing of Takeo Spikes and Jeff Posey, Sam Adams and, of course, Lawyer Milloy, adding all that to an offense featuring Drew Bledsoe, Eric Moulds and Travis Henry.

What'd they finish that year?
  9. smg93

smg93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I know I'm in the minority here but I actually thought it was a fair assesment from an outsiders perspective. Every team right now is excited about its newcomers particularly from the draft since not every team spends big for free agency. Even if we believe that we've covered most of our FA losses through our acquisitions of new players, that's a common reaction across the NFL before training camp, preseason and the regular season has started.

He didn't crucify the Pats for losing talent (and as much as we'd like to deny this sometimes, Willie, DG, and AV are talented playmakers), he merely stated that we would have to transition or get used to not having them around and putting new people in their place. I think that's fair.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  10. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +59 / 2 / -0

Yup - I had hope in 2001, 2003, and 2004 too!

Everyone has hope this time of year.

The lesson to be learned however is that teams making a big splash in Free Agency aren't necessarilly any more likely to make it to the playoffs, so I just wouldn't put too much stock in what probably seems like a good offseason to most Fin Fans.

Buffalo fans must have been pretty pumped with those signings as well.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2005
  11. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

hee hee

If that missed pass made maroney possible (and trading up for Jackson), I think it was the best incomplete pass i've seen in a long time.
  12. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

after i read it, i am, too, with you.
    he was fair also imho.
    he didn't say something bad about us.
  13. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +59 / 2 / -0

Why exactly is it that you decry the self-assurance and guarantee of a Division Championship by others and then express the same "chutzpah" yourself?

Regardless, I've made no such guarantee - I'm merely pointing out that when it comes to free agency, the Whole can be less than the sum of the parts.

The Bills had one of the best teams on paper - and that's all they had. Other teams too have often fallen into that trap, like the Redskins, spending tons of $ on expensive free agents and having very little in terms of a good deep middle class of backups.

In the recent past, most teams who have made the biggest free agent splashes have faltered, while the Patriots have remained strong and consistent.

So anything is possible - including the possibility that the Dolphins have peaked in the offseason.

By the way, I've enjoyed these last 5 years of the Patriots being favored IMMENSELY! Thanks for asking!
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  14. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +59 / 2 / -0

So what's your point?
  15. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I don't recall seeing it, but BB being animated probably means he was coaching and not telling Matt to take a dive.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2005
  16. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 5 / -3

I remember BB said in some SB dvd regarding the Milloy release, "Its not about collecting talent, its about building a team". :D