Not open for further replies.

mikiemo83

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8060536#

Dolphins to make Jake Long draft's top pick
By Jay Glazer

Updated: April 22, 2008, 11:55 AM EST

The first pick of the NFL Draft is no longer a mystery.

Michigan offensive lineman Jake Long and the Miami Dolphins have agreed to terms on a five-year deal, FOXSports.com has learned, and Long is slated to fly into Miami later Tuesday to join his new team.

There has been much speculation recently that the team was setting up a smoke screen in their interest of Long, but apparently it wasn't a ruse.

Long, a 6-7, 315-pound tackle, was a two-time All-American at Michigan and was twice named Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year.

He will be the first offensive lineman to be drafted No. 1 since 1997, when the St. Louis Rams took Ohio State tackle Orlando Pace. It will be the fifth time in league history an offensive lineman has gone No. 1.

Long has insisted he's not consumed with the possibility of going first.

"It doesn't matter to me when I get drafted," he said. "I'll be happy wherever I go and I'm going to do everything I can to have a great career."

With the deal done, the St. Louis Rams are on the clock. The Dolphins have nine total picks in this weekend's draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, the next real domino to fall is the Chiefs and Allen. If they part ways with him, then it makes the top 7 a little bit clearer. But, even with #1 known, I still get dizzy trying to predict how 1-7 will go and what the Pats will end up doing.

Well I think Miami screws up in the first round again - While Jake Long is a superb OL I think they need some youth on that defense even more so and Chris Long was the way to go,There is alot of good OL in this draft anyway

2007 - Ted Ginn Jr. - BAD pick
2008 - Jake Long - ???? T.B.A.

so is this final?

if so...at least the fins are getting better at the front office...

Looks like Pony owes Peter King an apology...LOL

The next domino is St Louis who are now free to talk and even sign a contract with the top DE on their board...

Looks like Pony owes Peter King an apology...LOL

The next domino is St Louis who are now free to talk and even sign a contract with the top DE on their board...

Why? evan the sun shines on a dog ass some day.

so is this final?

if so...at least the fins are getting better at the front office...

A 1:45 PM EST press conference final.

A safe pick and not all that surprising. Parcells, like Belichick and others, feel that you build your team from the lines on out. With no clear cut number one, but rather a litany of options, this makes sense to me when I look at who is in charge of making the pick.

Does this mean Miami will take the full 10 minutes to make their announcement on Saturday?

Last edited:
A safe pick and not all that surprising. Parcells, like Belichick and others, feel that you build your team from the lines on out. With no clear cut number one, but rather a litany of options, this makes sense to me when I look at who is in charge of making the pick.

Does this mean Miami will take the full 10 minutes to make their announcement on Saturday?

That's what came to mind when I heard the news. It would be nice if they didn't take all 10 minutes.

Miami's offensive line just vastly improved. I can't see a 6'7" 300 lb. beast being a bust on the offensive line. Parcells has the right idea. There is no QB in this draft worth the number one pick. The second round and Brian Brohm is the safest route to go for that.

Well I think Miami screws up in the first round again - While Jake Long is a superb OL I think they need some youth on that defense even more so and Chris Long was the way to go,There is alot of good OL in this draft anyway

I didn't realise the time to judge the success of a draft pick was after one season.

I didn't realise the time to judge the success of a draft pick was after one season.

it usually isnt....

keyword there, usually

a wr, since you usually have at least 3, sometimes 4 on the field at once should not have a top 10 pick....especially a reciever whos not even great

I have to think signability was a huge issue for them. The player wasn't as important as having him in TC on time. I'm guessing they approached several players-- both Longs, Dorsey, Clady--prior to signing Jake.

I mildly disagree. Long is the safest pick in the draft and will be a cornerstone of that franchise for years to come. Lemon or whoever the Dolphins QB will be won't be able to make any plays when he's flat on his back. I agree however that Ted Ginn Jr. was a terrible pick. You don't draft a return man with a top 10 overall pick. They could have taken an electric return man like Yamon Figurs in round 3 instead.

nyskck.jpg

GM: Ah, ah damn...can anyone really help John Beck be an acceptable starter Jake?
JL: ME HUNGRY. ME PROTECT INEPT QB.

34rtyyx.jpg

GM: Good lord.

zoaz36.jpg

This is an incredibly bright move for the Dolphins if this got them a significant discount. This is bad news for the players as this may affect negotiations with the subsequent picks. I predict it will have consequences. I hope our number seven (I wanted Jake Long, d%#*!@t) is on time to camp.

If I were the Player's Union, I would be trying to ban the top pick pre-negotiating contracts before the draft.

If I were the NFL, I'd be cheering inside as one of their biggest issues is that top draft choice contract inflation.

Betcha the Dolphins will take the full ten minutes to announce

the pick.

If I were a Dolphin fan, I'd be much more happier with this
than last years pick. If you're rebuilding, then good trenchmen is where you want to build from.
Wouldn't surprise me if the Pats pick Clady at 7.

But I still think they'll take Golsten if he falls or reach for Rivers if they can't trade out and Golsten is unavailable.

Dolphins signed Jake Long to a six-year contract. The deal will be voided after five years and includes $30 million guaranteed and $57.5 million in total value.
Bill Parcells wasn't playing games. The Dolphins introuduced Long as the first offensive lineman drafted in the top spot since Orlando Pace. The Dolphins indicated Long will play left tackle from day one. Long may be the safest of the top picks, and should immediately upgrade the Dolphins offense, especially their running game. The Rams seem likely to look at Glenn Dorsey or Chris Long.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Jake Long's five-year deal is worth $57.5 million with $30 million guaranteed.
Long gets to hit free agency more quickly than JaMarcus Russell. For that, he but he will get $2 million less in guaranteed money and $3.5 million less in total money. The Dolphins didn't have a ton of leverage over Long, as his agent also represents Vernon Gholston, their fallback choice.
-rotoworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick