PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does this just make too much sense? (Andre Johnson wants out of Houston)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kirwan suggests Dobson + a 3 for Johnson.

Stupid trade. It is under "If the Texans can't get a second round pick". So he is suggesting the Pats give up a player they selected in the second round last year AND a third round. So he wants the Pats, if they are not willing to give up a second, to give up more value than a second round instead?

If New England was involved I would want a wide receiver like Aaron Dobson and a third-round pick. If Carolina was the team then I would want a linebacker like A.J. Klein and a third-round pick. If Kansas City showed some interest it would be Donnie Avery and a third.

Dobson = Klein = Avery, I guess.

(Klein had two starts and 132 defensive snaps for the Panthers last year. Yes, I realize not all third round picks are equal. Close enough.)

@Sticky Caulk if you disagree say why. My compensation theory was based off the fact that the projected cost is being estimated @ a single second round pick.

Mallett(if they want him at all)+ Dobson> 2nd round pick...the 4th is icing really if those reports are true.

I don't have to say anything. Don't get butt hurt if someone uses the new message board features.

Trading away your most promising WR for an expensive vet while packaging a QB and decent draft pick as well. This going to a conference rival. I don't see that as a long-haul win nor do I see it as a move that helps New England win now, at least, win more or have a better shot in the playoffs. I mean, new England moved the ball fine against everyone later in the year. Red zone is the bigger problem, which Andre Johnson has never been a good target for TDs anyway.

Stupid trade. It is under "If the Texans can't get a second round pick". So he is suggesting the Pats give up a player they selected in the second round last year AND a third round. So he wants the Pats, if they are not willing to give up a second, to give up more value than a second round instead?

If an unproven backup like Mallett is worthy of 2nd round discussion, than certainly one would assume that Andre Johnson would be as well, seeing as how he's one of the most dominating WRs in the entire league.

(Not referring to your thoughts personally, b/c I don't even know where you stand on the thought. I'm just pointing out the irony in the comparison made by some of these sportswriters who continuously bang the drum for these fantastical deals)

If an unproven backup like Mallett is worthy of 2nd round discussion, than certainly one would assume that Andre Johnson would be as well, seeing as how he's one of the most dominating WRs in the entire league.

(Not referring to your thoughts personally, b/c I don't even know where you stand on the thought. I'm just pointing out the irony in the comparison made by some of these sportswriters who continually bang the drum for these fantastical deals)
I made sure to keep my level of optimism closely guarded when the idea of Revis to New England first found its feet. I think I'll do the same with Johnson. He plays the game the way every player should and I've watched from afar with great jealousy. He would easily be worth a 2nd Round pick. If Mallett is included in the deal, I'd offer Mallett plus a 3rd with the potential to become a 2nd.

FTR, I don't believe Johnson will leave the Texans.

I wouldn't do that deal. Dobson flashed talent last year before his injury, trading him away for a 33 year old (albeit one who's had a great career) is madness and not how you go about building a roster to have long term success.

I agree with your general idea as to what you're saying, but that would obviously depend on how Belichick views Dobson and his potential, injury situation, scheme development, football intelligence, rapport with Brady etc.

We've seen dominant, physical WRs like Anquan Boldin etc look just fine at the age of 33, just the same as we've seen these "long term solutions at WR" like Chad Jackson, Taylor Price, Tate, etc gone in an instant.

Like I said, I do agree with what you're saying as a whole. I just think it all depends on each and every individual situation and player as well.

I made sure to keep my level of optimism closely guarded when the idea of Revis to New England first found its feet. I think I'll do the same with Johnson. He plays the game the way every player should and I've watched from afar with great jealousy. He would easily be worth a 2nd Round pick. If Mallett is included in the deal, I'd offer Mallett plus a 3rd with the potential to become a 2nd.

I second this thought; although I am getting pretty excited thinking about this. It makes a lot of sense with Dobson not expected back before and really going all in. I don't see anything that would stop us from making this move (assuming AJ restructures or gets a new deal from us). We can afford it/can make "no-brainer" moves to be able to afford it.

As far as Johnson leaving the Texans, I can't blame him for his comments and its not the first time either. They might not have much of choice in letting him go; face of franchise player deserves the respect of being traded to a team he asks for. Otherwise things could get pretty ugly in Houston if AJ gets disgruntled

I agree that the idea of your "cautious optimism" is definitely the best way to go when approaching these bigger named deals. It'd be great if it happened, but one would have to think the chances of both teams agreeing on specific compensation would probably be relatively lower.

It's going to take much more than an offseason, time-wasting article by Pat Kirwin to get the job done ;)

Lol on a tangent from this forum's obsession with getting an elite receiver... all things equal who would you rather have larry fitz or andre?

Lol on a tangent from this forum's obsession with getting an elite receiver... all things equal who would you rather have larry fitz or andre?

Fitz is a better target in the EZ.

In a vacuum, either one would we amazing in New England. The price has to be right though.

I don't have to say anything. Don't get butt hurt if someone uses the new message board features.

Trading away your most promising WR for an expensive vet while packaging a QB and decent draft pick as well. This going to a conference rival. I don't see that as a long-haul win nor do I see it as a move that helps New England win now, at least, win more or have a better shot in the playoffs. I mean, new England moved the ball fine against everyone later in the year. Red zone is the bigger problem, which Andre Johnson has never been a good target for TDs anyway.

Yet your writing anyway? Why would I be mad that you disagree about something that really has no effect on anything. I in fact didn't even take a stance on what I thought SHOULD happen. I wrote considering the Texans are in rebuild mode, it would make sense for THEM to try and go after Dobson, being younger. The conference rival bit is moot. It has zero bearing on anything, BB traded Bledsoe in the division. I'm sure he is petrified of sending the Hammah to the Texans.

"The expensive vet" is the best player in the entire equation so yea there will be a cost. Mallett is gone next year either way, the team spent a 2nd rounder on his replacement, he has no future here. Trading Dobson is NOT ideal. But to say adding Andre Johnson is "not a move that helps us win now" literally makes no sense. The offense struggled on 3rd downs and generally all over the field at times last season not just in the RZ. I expect the WR's to be better and healthier, but the point remains Johnson upgrades any WR we have in the short term, and its not close.

Well he didn't come out and stay this stuff until after the draft.
Nope

He was vocally frustrated last year and the beginning of the off season. Bob McNair knew of it.

Johnson said he keeps in contact with the Texans, talking with the club at least once every other week. He also made it clear he hasn’t requested a trade and isn’t concerned with his contract.

Johnson, 32, is entering his 12th season with the Texans. The No. 3 overall pick of the 2003 NFL draft is the lone remaining athlete from the franchise’s expansion era. He’s been through Dom Capers, David Carr, Gary Kubiak and Matt Schaub. After watching the Texans fall apart in 2013, posting the league’s worst record, the seven-time Pro Bowler said he and the only team he’s ever played for are clearly at different stages.

“Nobody’s been here as long as I have. You just kind of look at things; I’ve been thinking about things this offseason,” Johnson said. “And I just kind of wonder sometimes, ‘Is this still the place for me?’ ”

More than anything, Johnson made it clear the Texans’ losing has simply worn on him. Since 2003, the Texans have posted six losing seasons and only two with 10-plus wins.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...-still-the-place-for-me/#1569101=0&23243103=0

(Not referring to your thoughts personally, b/c I don't even know where you stand on the thought. I'm just pointing out the irony in the comparison made by some of these sportswriters who continuously bang the drum for these fantastical deals)

I don't think Mallett is worth a second in this situation. I said that the Pats would at least need to package a mid-round pick with Mallett to get the deal done. Also, I am not saying that Johnson is not worth a second rounder.

I am saying that it is stupid proposition from Kirwin to suggest that if the Pats are unwilling to give up a second rounder that they should offer a third AND Aaron Dobson. Dobson was a second round pick just a year ago and before he got injured, he looked like he was turning into a good second round pick. So Kirwin is suggesting that if a second round pick is too rich for the Patriots' blood, they should give up more in Aaron Dobson and a third rounder.

Personally, I don't mind giving up a second rounder or similar compensation for Johnson. What Kirwin is suggesting is giving up even more if the Pats don't agree.

Crazy for a 33 yo WR.

Too steep.

I disagree.

Andre is elite and has a few good years left.

Dobson has potential to be good. But who knows how he'll turn out.

BB throw's third round picks like their yesterday's garbage so if we have to part ways with one to get Brady a legit #1 WR for his last few years, so be it.

There are a lot of overrating Dobson posts and underrating Johnson posts going on.

I disagree.

Andre is elite and has a few good years left.

Dobson has potential to be good. But who knows how he'll turn out.

BB throw's third round picks like their yesterday's garbage so if we have to part ways with one to get Brady a legit #1 WR for his last few years, so be it.

There are a lot of overrating Dobson posts and underrating Johnson posts going on.

But why not give a second round for Johnson and keep the 3rd rounder and Dobson? If Johnson is going to be a top WR for a few years, why not just give up the second rather than give up a player you thought was good enough to draft in the second round (and showed nothing yet that they were wrong to pick him in the second round) and a third.

So you are arguing that instead of giving up a second round pick, they should give up a third and player that the Pats feel is worth second round compensation?

It is too steep to give up Dobson and a third because the Texans are reportedly looking for a second and Dobson and a third is worth more than a second. It is like going to a car dealership and paying $30k for a car with a sticker price of $25k. Personally, if the Pats do believe in the potential of Dobson, they aren't trading Dobson for Johnson straight up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes