PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Randy Moss's impact on the offense make Asante more expendable next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I hope this is a different enough take to warrant a new thread, I think it is. I came to this possibility when considering the Franchise Tag next year, which some have suggested may land on Moss, since Asante Samuel is likely to reach the triggers that would preclude the Pats from using it on him.

Given that Asante will be a Free Agent in March, might the Patriots be more comfortable letting him split since the offense, if it continues at (or even stays in the realm of) the same clip, will be potent enough to overcome a slight hit on POINTS ALLOWED?

Would love to hear what people think.

Last edited:
I still think defense wins championships, but obviously if you have a good offense it can help offset a lesser defense.

I don't see a problem franchising Randy Moss if we can't come to an agreement on an extension with him. No problem w/ that at all.

However, to me it does not make Asante less expandable. If Samuel leaves you still need to replace him with somebody no matter how good the offense is.

This is a stretch at best and probably too early to have any meaningful discussion (debate) about this. The Patriots will determine Samuel's value against their depth in CBs, his performance over the season, and FAs available. Obviously, if they want to sign Moss and Samuel, one or both offers must be tempered based on player value and salary cap room. Typically, the team will value one more highly than the other in terms of the potential contribution to team success. Other than that, I don't see the team thinking they can avoid a highly paid player on defense by signing one on offense in order to make up for the shortcoming. As I said, that's a stretch.

Let's see how the season goes and how happy Moss, Samuel, and the rest of the team are in January.

I would LOVE to have Moss for 2 more years and a chance for SB's every year.
We need to draft defense this year so signing Moss makes this easier.

I don't think they look at it in those terms, they evaluate each player, the players worth, how the player fits into the system, and what other options they have. That doesn't mean we can't look at it in terms of one or the other though :) .

Obviously, the Pats and Asante don't agree on his worth. Will they agree on Randy? hmmmm.

I do think its clear that Asante is gone after this year, his market value and what other teams will pay will just be higher than what BB thinks he's worth. I think we draft another first day corner next year, let him grow behind Gay, and do what we can to keep Randy.... he is just too damn good.

I think these are separate decisions, unless Randy decides to move into the Defensive backfield. And, I agree with the poster who reminded us the "defense wins championships."

Adalius Thomas is very underated on the team this yr..

If Gay stays healthy this year, I could see us staying with Hobbs/Gay as the cheaper option should Asante value go too high. Draft a solid Rook to develop over the next couple years.

Hobbs look excellant this year. He'll be a great #1 corner by next year. We'd have to re-sign Gay, but I think he comes pretty cheap (comparatively).

Moss should not have any effect on whether we sign Samuel to a new

contract. Ideally, I hope we can sign both players to new contracts.

In the case of Moss, I hope we apply the franchise tag if we cannot

agree to a new deal. What we do not know is whether he agreed to

play for a reduced amount provided the franchise is not used

next year. With regard to our cornerback depth next year, Samuel,

Gay, and Chad Scott will be unrestricted free agents. If all three

leave, we would be left with Ellis Hobbs, Mike Richardson, and Willie

Andrews as cornerbacks. Much too early to worry. Let's wait

another six months before we tear our hair out.

Meriweather is a nickel back and Eddie Jackson is a corner.

Only if Moss is on the team next year.

If you look at the thread title and the initial thread, I think you'll find that I agree with your comments overall. I guess, to be more clear, I should empasize not the pros and cons the Pats would weigh in negotiations, but rather, how much more EXPENDABLE Asante becomes in light of the amped up offense.

I, for one, would be "more okay" with him leaving, secure in the face of Randall Gay, Ellis Hobbs (and a draft pick?) PLUS a continuation of the juggernaut offense.

I firmly believe one has nothing to do with the other, nor should it. We're not trying to become the Colts here.

First off, I would under no circumstances tag Randy Moss (unless he asked me to!). Attitude is everything with this player. If things continue to work out as they have, if he is happy, HEALTHY and productive, if seeing this rekindle talk of his HOF career potential and if he is reasonable with his financial demands - including some incentivization to protect the teams ability to survive his loss - he's likely pretty easy to extend for 3 years to a manageable deal. At this point he seems happier than he's probably ever been in his career, torn only between whom he loves more, Tommy or Bill.

As for Asante, I think they still want to take a shot at signing him long term, and the no tag deal gives them that opportunity. It will depend on his buzz by season end and his attitude with $8M already in the bank. If we don't get a deal done, I would expect to see another mid level CB targeted, and we know what a crap shoot that can be. We need to maintain quality and depth at the position to allow Ellis to continue returning kicks. Gay is a UFA in 2008 who was already invited to dinner with the JETS as a RFA.

If we win this year I think a lot of aging players could decide to call it a day. Junior, Tedy, Rodney, Troy, Kyle Brady. And decisions will have to be made on 3 WR's - Stallworth, Washington and Gaffney, some or all of whom may need to have terms reworked or be extended.

There's a lot on the table in 2008, too much to make any assumptions three weeks into 2007 in a vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes