PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Polian Ever Let Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
robertweathers said:
Haha! Maybe I tried too hard to psychoanalyze the guy. Maybe all those close but no cigar runs of the teams he put on the field just made him a bitter man who has taken his jeliously of the Pats success to a catty-like level.

I am not a big fan of beach football at the Razor, but if it bothers Polian, I feel compelled to change my opinion.

robertweathers said:
Haha! Maybe I tried too hard to psychoanalyze the guy. Maybe all those close but no cigar runs of the teams he put on the field just made him a bitter man who has taken his jeliously of the Pats success to a catty-like level.

He was, as you point out, successful before he went to Indianapolis. He is also, so far as I can tell (despite what many posters on this board say) a very astute drafter and cap manager. He knows what he wants and has a strategy to try to get it.

But he is clearly a bully (see story about the Jets' employee) unscrupulous and hypocritical (complains about noise being pumped in to a stadium when he does exactly the same thing).

What is really concerning is the grip that he seems to have on the league. It's about time the other teams brought him down a bit -- taking him off the Competition Committee would be a good start.

Sir Otilc said:
"Hey. We play. That's what we do. We don't talk. We play. You come to Foxboro, it's gonna be snowin', it's gonna be cold. Come on in here! You wanna say all you want? You wanna change the rules? Change 'em! We still play, and we win. That's what we do."

So sayeth Number 54, full tilt full time.

Great quote---i'll never forget that after the game!!! All the "bobbleheads" and "announcers" were stunned:rocker:

TomBrady'sGoat said:
he'll stop when the Colts win the superbowl. So yes, he'll never stop.

Brilliant! :rocker: *Cue the guiness guys*

sieglo said:
I am not a big fan of beach football at the Razor, but if it bothers Polian, I feel compelled to change my opinion.

Lot's of great quotes on here today!

Last edited:
scout said:
and............
Wonder how he'll feel when our backs run all over the Colts defense.

I'm actually concerned about the Colts - they're a different team, and their D is playing well. The offense hasn't really gotten it going yet, and they're 5-0.

DCPatsFan said:
I'm actually concerned about the Colts - they're a different team, and their D is playing well. The offense hasn't really gotten it going yet, and they're 5-0.

Are you being sarcastic?

Why do you guys pay some much attention to Polian? Just about the only time that Colts' fans pay any real attention is the draft. The guy does two things well. One, his job, which is keeping his teams competitive year in and year out. Two, drive people crazy.

workhorse said:
Why do you guys pay some much attention to Polian? Just about the only time that Colts' fans pay any real attention is the draft. The guy does two things well. One, his job, which is keeping his teams competitive year in and year out. Two, drive people crazy.

Wrong question. Why does he pay so much attention to the Patriots? And why does he go running to the league office every chance he can?

(I can understand why a Colts fan would try not to think about him -- it would be hard not to be ashamed.)

workhorse said:

Because he is destroying a lot of things that are good about the NFL. YOU SHOULD BE CONCERNED! How crappy has the officiating been lately? He and his little committee have the officials so screwed up that EVERYTHING looks like a penalty.

I don't like the fact that Polian is bullying his way around the league like he has all the answers.

To me, what he does is not far removed from cheating, to bully his way all around trying to get 'his way'. When was the last time he did something on behalf of the other 31 teams in the league? The competition committee wasn't intended to look out for the Colts alone.

Mike the Brit said:
Wrong question. Why does he pay so much attention to the Patriots? And why does he go running to the league office every chance he can?

(I can understand why a Colts fan would try not to think about him -- it would be hard not to be ashamed.)

As far as I can remember, there have only been two items that Polian has brought up having anything to do with the Pats. First was the enforcement of the contact rule between a D back and a receiver after that playoff game and now he made some comments about the field at the Razor. The same comments popping up in the Boston papers and all across this message board. Heck, how many threads and posts were there about the field before you heard about Polian? Most agreed with him, about the only ones that did not were the ones that viewed the poor conditions as some sort of advantage to the Pats.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Because he is destroying a lot of things that are good about the NFL. YOU SHOULD BE CONCERNED! How crappy has the officiating been lately? He and his little committee have the officials so screwed up that EVERYTHING looks like a penalty.

I don't like the fact that Polian is bullying his way around the league like he has all the answers.

To me, what he does is not far removed from cheating, to bully his way all around trying to get 'his way'. When was the last time he did something on behalf of the other 31 teams in the league? The competition committee wasn't intended to look out for the Colts alone.

What has he destroyed? There have been three items in the past few seasons that he has popped off about. The getting the league to enforce the downfield contact rule, having all no huddle games being called the same was, and now the field conditions.

If you think Polian is the only one that goes to the league about things, you are wrong. He just goes about it more publicly at times than some other teams.

workhorse said:
As far as I can remember, there have only been two items that Polian has brought up having anything to do with the Pats. First was the enforcement of the contact rule between a D back and a receiver after that playoff game and now he made some comments about the field at the Razor. The same comments popping up in the Boston papers and all across this message board. Heck, how many threads and posts were there about the field before you heard about Polian? Most agreed with him, about the only ones that did not were the ones that viewed the poor conditions as some sort of advantage to the Pats.

What has he destroyed? There have been three items in the past few seasons that he has popped off about. The getting the league to enforce the downfield contact rule, having all no huddle games being called the same was, and now the field conditions.

If you think Polian is the only one that goes to the league about things, you are wrong. He just goes about it more publicly at times than some other teams.

Workhorse, you have always (at least what i remember) been an intelligent poster. However that is going down the toilet quick (my opinion) now that you are defending Napolian. Please tell me what good he has done for the league???

workhorse said:

Come on, Workhorse, you're better than that.

First, it's grossly disrespectful to the Patriots. Of course, there is a problem with the field at Gillette and the Patriots need to fix it. Only an idiot (unfortunately, there are a few on this board) would think that they weren't concerned about it. Asking the Patriots privately what they are doing is OK -- running to Mommy whining is pathetic.

Second, Polian isn't just anyone running to the league and whining. He's a member of a committee which, if anything in the whole organisation should, should be impartial. Given the way that he promotes the interests of his own club so over-aggressively, it is outrageous that he should occupy such a position.

Give it up, Workhorse. I'm having a tough day and I don't want to get into a fight with an excellent poster.

Why don't we move to where you think the Colts are -- strengths and weaknesses at this stage of the season? I'd be much more interested in that.

mtbykr said:
Workhorse, you have always (at least what i remember) been an intelligent poster. However that is going down the toilet quick (my opinion) now that you are defending Napolian. Please tell me what good he has done for the league???

I'm not defending him. As I stated earlier, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to him. But, I don't think he is the cause of all that is wrong with the league. I think Polian likes being in the spotlight. For good or for bad, and most would probably say bad. Heck, he has his own radio show. I don't know how many GMs have their own shows, but I'm guessing you could probably count them on one hand. That's probably why everyone knows his opions on matter, but not every other team's GMs. Is he a bully? Maybe. Is he an a-hole? Ya, probably (especially to those not on his side). But he also does his job, which is keep fielding a competitive team. I just considered this while typing this post, a lot of this may be him taking one for the team/league. He doesn't care if people hate him. He may be voicing popular sentiments within the league just to get them in the press and the court of public opinion. I'm not trying to defend him. I'm just saying he likes the spotlight and doesn't care what people think of him.

Like I said before, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to him outside of draft time and the same is true with a lot of Colts' fans. I think you guys should try to do the same. next time you see him saying something, just write it off to Polian being Polian.

mgcolby said:
Are you being sarcastic?

No, not being sarcastic - they look like a tough team this year, due to the fact they can win a high scoring type of game or an ugly one as well, i.e., the Jacksonville 14-13 game.

I'm not rooting for them, just making an observation...

Mike the Brit said:
Come on, Workhorse, you're better than that.

First, it's grossly disrespectful to the Patriots. Of course, there is a problem with the field at Gillette and the Patriots need to fix it. Only an idiot (unfortunately, there are a few on this board) would think that they weren't concerned about it. Asking the Patriots privately what they are doing is OK -- running to Mommy whining is pathetic.

Second, Polian isn't just anyone running to the league and whining. He's a member of a committee which, if anything in the whole organisation should, should be impartial. Given the way that he promotes the interests of his own club so over-aggressively, it is outrageous that he should occupy such a position.

Give it up, Workhorse. I'm having a tough day and I don't want to get into a fight with an excellent poster.

Why don't we move to where you think the Colts are -- strengths and weaknesses at this stage of the season? I'd be much more interested in that.

I really wasn't trying to get anyone worked up. Actually I was trying to suggest that your lives may be easier if you don't pay as much attention to him. One last item with this and I'll move on. I think the reason that it seems like he promotes his interests so much is that he has his own weekly radio show. His voice is only louder than other GMs because he uses a microphone. Most probably think it pretty dumb on his part, and it may be, but that's his style.

As far as the Colts go, I hope that hey find some beef for the center of the d-line with Simon not coming back. I don't think their run D is as bad as it looked in the Titans game, but it's not good. Heck, look how many yards Henry dropped on the Redskins. Bob Sanders coming back will help. He is not the answer, but he sure will help. That and they need to take Gardner out on his starting LBer spot. He seems to miss a lot of tackles and take some crappy angles. And I really hope that they can get healthy. Offensively, I feel pretty good. That may sound odd, but I do. The offense really hasn't been in synch for a game, yet they are 5-0. Once they all get one the same page, they could really get rolling. I also think that the struggling will pay off too. They have been winning games in different ways. Like the Jets' game when they needed 2 TDs in the final 3 minutes and they got them. They aren't just winning in blow outs, but they are winning tight ones at the wire. That will boost their confidence down the line.

Polian "had me at hello" when he was overheard saying he wishes a Colt would "break Flutie's legs". Screw this lifetime loser.

workhorse said:
As far as the Colts go, I hope that hey find some beef for the center of the d-line with Simon not coming back. I don't think their run D is as bad as it looked in the Titans game, but it's not good. Heck, look how many yards Henry dropped on the Redskins. Bob Sanders coming back will help. He is not the answer, but he sure will help. That and they need to take Gardner out on his starting LBer spot. He seems to miss a lot of tackles and take some crappy angles. And I really hope that they can get healthy. Offensively, I feel pretty good. That may sound odd, but I do. The offense really hasn't been in synch for a game, yet they are 5-0. Once they all get one the same page, they could really get rolling. I also think that the struggling will pay off too. They have been winning games in different ways. Like the Jets' game when they needed 2 TDs in the final 3 minutes and they got them. They aren't just winning in blow outs, but they are winning tight ones at the wire. That will boost their confidence down the line.

Thanks. I haven't really kept track of the Colts this season, but the performance of the D must be a serious concern. From the game against the Giants and the other bits and pieces I've seen, I think you're right about the offense -- I don't think that the drop-off from losing Edge will turn out in the end to be as big as some people believe (hope).

DCPatsFan said:

If this statement is sincere (and I think it is), then I don't get it. The Colts have the worst run defense in the league.

zippo59 said:
If this statement is sincere (and I think it is), then I don't get it. The Colts have the worst run defense in the league.

They're not giving up much in the passing game

DCPatsFan said:
They're not giving up much in the passing game

Because why pass when you can run for huge chinks of yardage on almost any play.

You will notice this most years, that the teams who are some of the worst against the run rank as some of the best against the pass. It's because teams don't need pass against them to move the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News