PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone on this board have one LEGITIMATE reason to attack Dungy????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't hate Tony Dungy. I do dislike his holier than thou attitude at times. Colts fans forgive his faults such as hating gay people, etc, but they like to call out Pats fans for forgiving their coach for being less than perfect.

There are 2 things that turn me off about Dungy. The fact that he comments on almost anything he is ever asked makes it very odd to me that he basically had a "whatever" attitude towards the incident with his son.
Also, I just never thought he was a great coach. I'm an old fashioned-type fan. I watch the Pats and whenever the camera is on Belichick, he's ALWAYS coaching (drawing up plays or conversing with the other coaches, etc.). When the camera is on Dungy (and others like Lovie Smith) they literally are just standing there doing nothing 90% of the time. I attribute a lot of the Colts success to Tom Moore and the rest of the assistants, yet is Dungy who gets all the credit.

So far we have some classic idiotic reasoning from many users on this board

1) He's a christian, therefore he is the devil

2) OMG he doesnt support Gay marriage?? he's a BIGOT

3) His son killed himself, so he must be a horrible father

4) he wrote a BOOK, and he's a COACH. WTF is he doing???

5) He's always so holy, holy this, holy that

6) he said it was a "sad day for the NFL" when spygate happened

7) He doesn't cuss??? **** him then

Come on, you all can do better than that

"It's a sad day for the NFL" is enough for me. he didn't have to say that, and had no reason to say that. Totally uncalled for, considering the reality of "Spygate". I used to like him (I hate Bill Polian and always have, I admit, but I always liked Dungy) but that made me realize he's not the nice guy I thought he was. Now I view him as a sanctimonious douchebag.

I wouldn't say I ATTACK Dungy, but I don't particularly respect him or Polian because they both tend to complain (about officiating, especially, but also injuries, the weather, etc.) and otherwise make excuses after games (both defeats and victories), something I can NEVER remember Belichick doing. Dungy does it in a nice, quiet, polite, if slightly whiny voice, but he nevertheless takes away from the accomplishments of the other team when he loses, and comes across as incredibly petty when he wins - witness his complaints about the officiating after his team waxed the Saints 41-10.

Now you can argue that this is merely good coaching and management, since it may have (in my biased opinion) led to the Colts getting more breaks from the officials than any other team I can think of, but I still prefer the Belichick way - gruff and surly as he can be after a game, he never lets his team fall back on injuries or officiating or the weather or anything else as an excuse.

God loves everyone equally, but he loves you just a little bit more if your last name is Dungy

Yes, he makes many excuses for his teams. That is an attribute in a person that really disgusts me. I appreciate it when a team loses and doesn't hint/complain/whine/cry/*****/moan/etc.

The posts I have read directed at Dungy and Manning appear to be sarcastic. Members of the media (e.g., Easterbrook on ESPN) have been targeting New England and Belichick and painting the organization and the coach as a cross between Charles Manson and Darth Vader, while painting the Colts and Dungy as the knights of the round table and King Arthur of the NFL.

Any intelligent fan can find facts disparaging either team, thus the sarcasm. Running up the score - review the 2004 Colts season before painting today's Patriots as unsportsmanlike. Spygate - check the norm for the league (ie., the legal tools for information gathering, likely employed by the Colts as well), before claiming competitive advantage and a tainting of Superbowl victories.

Belichick has his personality and way of doing business (I view his personality as more like a lab geek and less approachable than Dungy), Dungy has his. I can accept either personality but call Belichick the coach of my team, so after all the adverse press I enjoy seeing New England roll over the competition and the media painted the fool for dramatizing all potentially negative things Patriot this year.

He's a football coach who thinks he's something more than a football coach. The way the media puts him and Martin Luther King side by side is absolutely sickening. Dungy has not come out and said anything to rebuke such a horrible statement. Dungy is good at implementing a Tampa Cover 2, MLK was good at implementing civil rights marches that led to the betterment of lives for millions of people. And him winning the Super Bowl being compared to Jackie Robinson? Give me a break, he's ONLY A COACH.

Belichick knows he is a football coach, not a priest, and doesn't want to be anything more than a football coach. He doesn't make comments on things that have nothing to do with him like Dungy does, either. I'm not Belichick's biggest fan, I don't think he has any personality to speak of, but he's a million times better than Saint Dungy.

People from the American heartland aren't really going to understand how us east coasters can call someone a bigot for being vehemently against gay marriage, but that's another reason.

As for Peyton, zero problems there. Great quarterback, classy guy, keeps his mouth shut on things like Spygate.

Last edited:
Being a bigot is a pretty good reason to attack dungy

A few solid reasons for not liking Dungy:

1. He emphasizes that not only is it important that a black coach won the Super Bowl, but more importantly, a Christian coach won it.

I'm assuming he thinks a bunch of Jewish and Muslim coaches won the Bowl before? Maybe Atheists or Wiccans? What makes him the first Christian coach to win it? Is he, maybe, a bit holier than thou? What conclusion am I supposed to draw from this?

2. He talks about being a coach that doesn't swear and doing it the right way? What does that say about Belichick?

3. He employs Howard Mudd, the dean of "cheating" with videocameras, and then he takes potshots in the media at Belichick.

4. He and Polian whine and complain about the Patriots clutching their wide receivers, get the rules changed, and then they have their own wide receivers clutch and grab the Patriots (Hayden on Caldwell last year) and are the benefactors of a horrendous non-call under the new rules.

Well put. I also don't like him for the reasons you mention but I don't care much about him to hate him.

A few solid reasons for not liking Dungy:

1. He emphasizes that not only is it important that a black coach won the Super Bowl, but more importantly, a Christian coach won it.

I'm assuming he thinks a bunch of Jewish and Muslim coaches won the Bowl before? Maybe Atheists or Wiccans? What makes him the first Christian coach to win it? Is he, maybe, a bit holier than thou? What conclusion am I supposed to draw from this?

Because alot of the previous coaches to win have been Catholics. And Catholics aren't Christians to those of Dungy's ilk, but rather manifestations of Satan.

Because alot of the previous coaches to win have been Catholics. And Catholics aren't Christians to those of Dungy's ilk, but rather manifestations of Satan.

Well, it's important that we know the faiths of all of our Superbowl-winning coaches. I also believe you can't be a good priest unless you know how to beat the zone blitz.

Well, it's important that we know the faiths of all of our Superbowl-winning coaches. I also believe you can't be a good priest unless you know how to beat the zone blitz.

Why do you think it's called the Hail Mary? ;)

I don't mind Dungy, except I do think his stance on gay marriage is bigoted. But I don't have to agree with someone's politics to think they're a great coach, and Dungy is obviously a great coach.

Bill Polian is really the only member of the organization I don't like, and that's because of his own mouth. He's a supremely talented GM.

Quoted for truth.

The man does not no how to turn down a commerical deal. Ohh and...

http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/peyton-mannings-sweet-16-party-cameo-241661.php

pyetonsweet16.jpg

Thanks for that link. That is hilarious. I especially liked to see the father slapping his booty as his wife is ogling Peyton Manning behind him. But what are you going to do? If you marry a guy for his money, it doesn't mean you're dead and can't have fun through other avenues.

Plus, he is one ugly dude. Belichick looks like Brad Pitt compared to Dungheap. :D

Seriously though, the only thing I ever had agaist the guy is that I've always felt the Colts would be just as good or almost as good with the same coordinators and players and a different coach at the helm, and too much praise is given to him when I felt it is really the others.

He complains about everything that doesn't go his way. This year it's the schedule. How many times has this crybaby gone to the NFL asking for rule modifications. You want to know why there are so many bogus game changing defensive holding or PI calls, thank Mr. Dungy. I'm sure you remember how the evil Patriots were too physical with your receivers for Mr. Polian and Mr. Dungy in the AFC championship.

He complains about everything that doesn't go his way. This year it's the schedule. How many times has this crybaby gone to the NFL asking for rule modifications. You want to know why there are so many bogus game changing defensive holding or PI calls, thank Mr. Dungy. I'm sure you remember how the evil Patriots were too physical with your receivers for Mr. Polian and Mr. Dungy in the AFC championship.

i forgot this one.

thanks buddy.

yes another reason why Mr. Dungy sucks as a person.

Boomer, you've been a good "opposing fan" so I'll oblige you. I also do not want to get into any debates, but would like to share my views.

Speaking at the Indiana Family Institute bothers me. At best they're anti-gay. At worst they're radical gay haters. Whatever. Even if they're simply anti-gay it is a view I do not agree with and feel little hesitation to use as a basis to judge someone. By speaking at a function and raising money for them he allied himself with them.

Outspoken Christians bother me. Yes, I realize that is a lot of people. My wife is Christian but figures it is nobodies business and keeps to herself about it. This is totally a personal view of mine and I don't believe it is "right" or inherently better than other views. It is mine though, so I obviously value it.

-Tangentally, outspoken ANYTHING bugs me. Outspoken Atheists really bug me because they make the rest of us look bad. Outspoken vegetarians are really annoying (my wife is a veggie but she'd never stop me from eating meat). People who like a TV show way too much and look down on you if you don't watch it (Arrested development, the office, firefly, lost, the list goes on) make me angry. You get the point.

"It's a sad day for the NFL" bugged me. He came off as righteous (though that may be my perspective at work) and judging. All he had to do was say "no comment." What he said fueled the witch hunt (maybe it's my bias again, but I didn't see the firestorm as appropriate for the crime) because the media now had Saint Dungy on their side.

I'm not without reason. I don't like Belichick as a person. I don't like bullies who skirt the rules. I look down very harshly on people who mess around with another's spouse. I love him as a coach, though. I can't say I dislike Dungy as a coach either.

*edit* I forgot to mention the media deification of him. That's annoying regardless. It was annoying when the media propped BB up as the most brialliantest coach eva, and it's annoying with Saint Dungy. A lot of the Dungy hate is a sarcastic stab at the media. He doesn't seem to shy away from it, which makes him a little more annoying.

Last edited:

YES! Dead-on! I was even told that catholics are not christian. Uhh...wtf?! I have come to realize that these born-again types are so brainwashed and indoctrinated it's frightening. They remind me of the children of the corn, "Have yew found jay-sus?"...nah, lemme check under the mattress. I have also come to find that those most vocal about their faith are often the worst people.

What really gets me about him is that Dungy likes to portray himself as sort of demi-god, and seems to impose his beliefs on all those within earshot. The media loves him because he's the Deval Patrick of football. The cute, cuddly little 'together we can' guy secretely destroying the world. We have to constantly hear about what a great visionary and catalyst for change he is. I don't see him doing anything great, that's for sure. Who is he to say what is good in this world? I'm just sick of the nice guy attitudes...it's football, have some grit and anger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes