PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone on this board have one LEGITIMATE reason to attack Dungy????

Status
Not open for further replies.
The word you need to use is biased. or prejudiced...not bigot. I a a Christian and do not favor gay marriage because that is what the bible tells me, I do not however hate gay people at all. (hate the sin, not the sinner)I have several friends who are gay and so it isn't an easy issue at all. Assuming that someone who doesn't support your specific ideals is a bigot leads me to surmise that you are either unsure of what that word means, or are very immature. It makes me ill to side with a Colts fan, but on this one he has a point. Bigotry is a powerful word reserved for violent, and or mean spirited ignoramus' who use hatred as a way to argue.
I'm comfortable using "bigot". The bible also tells me it's OK have slaves, but if I were to advocate resuming black slavery in the US, you can bet I'd be a bigot.

I just don't like people with "Dung" as part of the their name.

A guy's gotta have standards, you know.

Look, Dungy is a man that seems to stand behind his beliefs. Whether or not you happen to share those beliefs is irrelevant. How can you not admire a trait such as that?

I can name lots of historical figures who "stood behind their beliefs" who I don't admire. That's just a poor argument for something like that.

Not saying Dungy is anywhere near the level I'm thinking of (use your imagination!), or even a bad guy at all, I just don't want to hear a frickin football coach proselytize.

Last edited:
OK........so we have, what, 10 pages and about a million posts here, so.....I guess the answer to the thread's question is "Yes."

The word you need to use is biased. or prejudiced...not bigot. I a a Christian and do not favor gay marriage because that is what the bible tells me, I do not however hate gay people at all. (hate the sin, not the sinner)I have several friends who are gay and so it isn't an easy issue at all. Assuming that someone who doesn't support your specific ideals is a bigot leads me to surmise that you are either unsure of what that word means, or are very immature. It makes me ill to side with a Colts fan, but on this one he has a point. Bigotry is a powerful word reserved for violent, and or mean spirited ignoramus' who use hatred as a way to argue.

Substitute "black" for "gay." Is it a bigoted statement then? Just because it's a Christian ideal doesn't mean that intelligent outsiders can't see it for what it is, and that's a thoroughly intolerant and bigoted stance.

You yourself use the words sin and sinner, so get off of your high horse about your gay "friends."

While we're on the topic, has any worthwhile argument ever included the phrase, "Because that is what the bible tells me?"

My issue with Dungy is that he purposely draws attention to himself while acting as if he doesnt care about attention.
Prior to last year he had a penchant for his teams choking in the big game.
Its funny that you hear 1000 times more about his personal beliefs once he finally wins that you ever heard when he wasn't winning.
The biggest issue is his proclamation about not yelling, not swearing, etc and that he uses it to imply aggressive, type A personality people have something wrong with them.
Getting a job done without yelling and screaming is no better or worse than being a yeller and screamer and getting the job done. Dungy's demeanor seems to imply this approach makes him better than others.

1) He said camera gate tainted our championships

Wrong, he ectually said he didn't think spygate changed anything

2) He and Polian whine to the officials about anything that doesn't go their way and then push self-serving rules and points of emphasis through the competition comittee.
Because no other team has ever complained about any aspect of thje NFL's rules or referee's :rolleyes:

3) He went on a national publicity tour for an autobiography entitled "Quiet Strength".
God forbid he promotes his BOOK. I mean who would promote a book? Espeically one they wrote? Check out amazon.com it's one of the highest rated and best seeling books of the year

4) I don't like 'nice guy' coaches. Period.

Ok thats legit

5) He coaches the Colts, the arch-nemesis of the Patriots.

That one too

I could come up with more, but #3 is enough all by itself.

added my thoughts under your quotes

I couldn't have asked for a better post to illustrate my point. Do you truly believe that Tony Dungy's motivation in writing his book was to profit from the death of his child ? If so I feel very sorry for you. Burying a child is the most horrrific thing that a parent can contemplate. I hope that you never have to experience such an unutterable loss as the Dungy family experienced.

I think posts like this speak more to the prejudices and petty hatreds of the poster than about Dungy. It has no place here.

R

Do you think he has insufficient outlets to be able to share his experiences for the benefit of others without writing a book for-profit? Don't be naiive. He might not have said, "I'm going to make money off my kid doing this horrible thing." But in effect, he is doing that. I'm NOT saying it wasn't horrible. And I don't think he's "evil." But his continued mission to put himself at the forefront of every social and religious discussion borders on megolomania. I think the point I was trying to make was made more succinctly in my later post. I, for one, would've been refreshed to see this guy throw out some materials for free about his learned experiences. He has the financial means to do that already. But no. He went to make another buck. I'm not a better guy than Dungy, by the way. Maybe I'm even a worse guy. But I don't claim to be a great guy and I don't make myself the moral authority on everything (certainly not as a football coach no less.)

Last edited:
I'm comfortable using "bigot". The bible also tells me it's OK have slaves, but if I were to advocate resuming black slavery in the US, you can bet I'd be a bigot.

yeah just like ANYONE can qoute the bible out of context, especially the old testament. One of my favorite verses in the bible tells how even Satan himself can quote verses for his own gain. You can selectivly quote bits and pieces out of context and make it say whatever you want

But those of you sying Dungy is "pushing a agenda" thats just insane to me, the man doesn't gloat, he's never said he was better than anyone else, the biggest negative most of you hve against him is that he believes strongly in his faith and religon. I know it's the "in" thing to be anti-christian or even anti-religious thee days but Dungy has never been one of those radical self serving bible thumpers that he is made out to be, he is one of the most humble coaches there hs ever been IMO

Last edited:
Do you think he has insufficient outlets to be able to share his experiences for the benefit of others without writing a book for-profit? Don't be naiive. He might not have said, "I'm going to make money off my kid doing this horrible thing." But in effect, he is doing that. I'm NOT saying it wasn't horrible. And I don't think he's "evil." But his continued mission to put himself at the forefront of every social and religious discussion borders on megolomania. I think the point I was trying to make was made more succinctly in my later post. I, for one, would've been refreshed to see this guy throw out some materials for free about his learned experiences. He has the financial means to do that already. But no. He went to make another buck. I'm not a better guy than Dungy, by the way. Maybe I'm even a worse guy. But I don't claim to be a great guy and I don't make myself the moral authority on everything (certainly not as a football coach no less.)

I take it back. I do make myself the authority on everything else I wouldn't have made that post. So Dungy and I are even. But I'm not a good guy. And he isn't the guy he's painted to be, I don't think.

Reasons to hate dungy

1. He's ugly

2. He's mad cuz he doesnt have 3 superbowl rings, or his own hoodie.

yeah just like ANYONE can take the bible out of context, especially the old testament. One of my favorite verses in the bible tells how even Satan himself can quote verses for his own gain.

Please, tell us how passages about slavery and killing homosexuals are taken "out of context." This should be enlightening.

I haven't seen one person on this thread attacking Dungy's religion. What I have seen is a bunch of people taking him to task for using his faith to further his own agenda, or to put himself above others whom he deems beneath him.

the biggest negative most of you hve against him is that he believes strongly in his faith and religon. I know it's the "in" thing to be anti-christian or even anti-religious thee days

Show me where anyone said this.

yeah just like ANYONE can take the bible out of context, especially the old testament. One of my favorite verses in the bible tells how even Satan himself can quote verses for his own gain.

The thing that gets me about the anti-homosexual passage in Sodom & Gomorah is that after the father (who is anti-gay) calms down the crowd that wants to bugger the two visiting men, he tosses his daughters out of the house so that the crowd can rape and pillage them.

Whenever someone quotes scripture on this issue, I always bring this up to them. The very man always cited in the OT as being against homosexuality as a commandment from God, this very same man promotes the rape of women by angry mobs.

yeah just like ANYONE can qoute the bible out of context, especially the old testament. One of my favorite verses in the bible tells how even Satan himself can quote verses for his own gain. You can selectivly quote bits and pieces out of context and make it say whatever you want

But those of you sying Dungy is "pushing a agenda" thats just insane to me, the man doesn't gloat, he's never said he was better than anyone else, the biggest negative most of you hve against him is that he believes strongly in his faith and religon. I know it's the "in" thing to be anti-christian or even anti-religious thee days but Dungy has never been one of those radical self serving bible thumpers that he is made out to be, he is one of the most humble coaches there hs ever been IMO

Stop this already. We've given you plenty of examples. I have anyway. You refuse to engage them and you just want to go on playing the victim. I asked you earlier about his quote after the Super Bowl about being the first Christian to win. I asked you to explain that. Can you?

I know it's the "in" thing to be anti-christian or even anti-religious thee days but Dungy has never been one of those radical self serving bible thumpers that he is made out to be, he is one of the most humble coaches there hs ever been IMO

See, alot of this also has to do with the complete difference in our part of America to your part of America. In the northeast, we're majority Catholic, most of us don't go to church, we don't know (or care) what the Bible says, we vote blue, and religion is often seen as a more personal matter. We drink, we fight, we work, we support gay marriage, etc. etc. I know that's not the description of everyone from Boston or New York or whatnot but its close enough.

Out in the heartland there's still that Mayberry complex. God, family, and whatnot are the key words. Forget the fact that Indy is a bigger city than Boston by nearly a time and a half, that's somewhat irrelevant. You have a larger Evangelical community and your values are different, probably closer to Dungy's, while ours are closer to the industrious and "godless" Belichick. Perfect fits for both spots.

America's a big place. There's such a huge culture gap in the various regions.

I think he's talking about the growth of todays increasingly secular sociaty.

Which, by the way, is a complete myth. The right takes the moderate position of wanting to keep religion out of, say, schools, and runs with it to say that the "secular progressives" won't be happy until Christianity is eradicated. Please.

If I hear the poor, persecuted Christian argument again, I might vomit.

I think he's talking about the growth of todays increasingly secular sociaty.

That can be argued.

And it has been by a lot of people. Whether it's increasing or decreasing that is.

Ok guys... some of my fellow Pats here are almost turning this into an anti-Christian thread. Can we leave it alone?

Look, Dungy is a man that seems to stand behind his beliefs. Whether or not you happen to share those beliefs is irrelevant. How can you not admire a trait such as that?

I don't see Dungy going out trying to *find* the spot light. He gets in front of the camera when it's pointed at him. Just as any of us would do.

To me, some might be reminded of the parable of the pharisee and the publican.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes