PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone honestly believe BB will "Richard Sherman" Revis in the regular season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the answer to this poised in the best way. People are worrying themselves with how BB wil use Revis, when one thing we should all be confident in is that BB will not misuse Revis.

We can come up with schemes and theories til we are blue in the face and still might not get it right. Lets just find solace in the fact that every week Revis will line up where BB deems is the best position for the team to win.

I agree. However, there is one other theory that is interesting.
Put Browner on Megatron to beat the crap out of him with McCourty doing nothing but doubling him and then have Revis obliterate the 2nd receiver. You either lose the top 2 or you throw into double teams all day.

Great strategy and no reason Belichick would deprive himself of that by taking a zone/one side approach for the most part

Seems to me pre-season is always vanilla on D - mainly fundamentals. Belichick really begins to implement his D in the real season, and barring injury, one expects his defenses to get better as the season progresses - peaking in the Playoffs - not in September!

Despite those prognosticators that think that what Belichick does in the pre-season fortells his true strategy, I find it tough to imagine that Belichick wouldn't use Revis situationally wherever he can have the most impact in any game, or any play

Brady threw for over 300 yards, lets not revise history.
They played a nice defensive game, aided by an unforced error on a screen pass Int and a dropped TD by Algae Crumpler.
Winning a game does not a defensive genius make. Neither does being ranked in the 20s in points allowed, or forcing turnovers.

In that he had Brady completely confounded during that game, I would say yes.

Anyway, it is just an example of a game where he didn't overly rely on blitz schemes.

Rex is a good, sound defensive coach whose schemes echo his personality. Having said that, it's not like disguising the mike to mess up protection schemes and overloading on your pressures is a ground-breaking design. He is certainly creative, good at what he does, and able to identify the weaknesses of an opponent, but he never changed the way defense was played or figured out the real keys to an offense.

Not to sound like a complete fanboy but every left tackle in the league owes their insane salary to BB, and he's also the reason Mike Martz isn't going to Canton.

Brady threw for over 300 yards, lets not revise history.
They played a nice defensive game, aided by an unforced error on a screen pass Int and a dropped TD by Algae Crumpler.
Winning a game does not a defensive genius make. Neither does being ranked in the 20s in points allowed, or forcing turnovers.

That's only part of the story. Brady was also sacked 5 times for a loss of a total of 40 yards. This in part is a result of the schemes that Ryan brought to the game, that caused Brady to hold on to the ball too long (keeping in mind that the Jets rushed 3 or 4 for the majority of the game).

However, I will back off my assertion that Ryan is a defensive genius (in that he hasn't done anything groundbreaking as Jay points out).. rather I should say he does come up with genius ideas or game plans from time to time.

That's only part of the story. Brady was also sacked 5 times for a loss of a total of 40 yards. This in part is a result of the schemes that Ryan brought to the game, that caused Brady to hold on to the ball too long (keeping in mind that the Jets rushed 3 or 4 for the majority of the game).
Players made those plays. We aren't talking about a gameplan that is in the HOF, or totally crippled the opponent with its genius. They played a good game.

However, I will back off my assertion that Ryan is a defensive genius (in that he hasn't done anything groundbreaking as Jay points out).. rather I should say he does come up with genius ideas or game plans from time to time.
No more than most quality defensive coaches.
How has he looked without Revis, for example?
Remember this team has spent almost every high pick on defense and they still are not a very good defense. He also gets way too much credit for his time as DC in Baltimore, because of the success that came before him.
But thats OK, just ask him, he will tell you he is a genius, the best coach in the NFL and about to win his 5th straight SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes