PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you think it will ever be common knowledge that taping signals isn't illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixit

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I mean, I can't take anymore of the stupidity about "cheating" because of "stealing" signals. Do you think, at some point, the majority of the dumbasses crying "Cheaters!" will come to realize that they're wrong? Do you think that they'll realize that the only thing the Pats got in trouble for was the location of the camera?

I'm afraid I already know the answer, but I'm having a hard time dealing with the idiocy of it all.

I think people know it, but they look at the Pats doing something illegal as a form of cheating because they are so successful.

i would like to see a link that proves this...

that shows that taping signals isn't illegal, and that location is all that matters.

I mean, I can't take anymore of the stupidity about "cheating" because of "stealing" signals. Do you think, at some point, the majority of the dumbasses crying "Cheaters!" will come to realize that they're wrong? Do you think that they'll realize that the only thing the Pats got in trouble for was the location of the camera?

I'm afraid I already know the answer, but I'm having a hard time dealing with the idiocy of it all.

I share your pain. But no, the anti patriots or some fans that don't really understand sports will think and make a big deal out of it. You are correct, if the Pats had filmed the signals from the first row of the end zone, it would not have been illegal.

Your problem is that you are being rational about this. This is not a rational process.

What dominates the media is not about reason, it's about what an audience wants to hear or believe. Anyone who has worked in politics or entertainment (NFL = Entertainment) has known this for a long time. When millions of dollars of revenue are at stake and when easily inflame-able passions come into play, the media stretches, embellishes or outright ignores the truth and pounces if they think they have a good story.

In a perverted way, it's a compliment. In the Patriots case it means that the Franchise was successful and powerful enough to warrant its attempted dismemberment by headline hungry pundits.

This is a blood sport, don't you get it? "OK, let's see if we can rip this Franchise and its management apart. It's dominated the league, let's see if we can put it in its place. We can't? Nuts! OK, let's stretch the story out as long as we can. Damn that Specter, why couldn't he have stayed in remission a little longer, now he probably is getting too sick to hold hearings. So, what else do we have? Did Michael Vick torture any dogs lately? What about Marvin Harrison, what can we do to him about that gun? Does anybody have any more good rumors about Roger Clemens? Did they really let that poor horse run until she broke both her legs--wow, isn't that cruelty--we can make some points with PETA on this one--did anybody get a shot of when they killed her?"

The only dupes in this are the poor idiots who think that any of what ESPN says is actually really believed by the people who say it. They don't care if it is true. It's a story that sells clicks and Airtime at the expense of a rich, successful, sitting target.

I want the Pats to fight back once they are formally exonerated of anything they haven't admitted and rip the throats out of the people who did this to them. Those people are expecting nothing else, by the way. They know the game. They know they've overplayed their hand and that Bob Kraft and his billions will be coming after them any day. Stay tuned. It's gonna be our fans' turn to have a little bloodlust sated.

Last edited:
I am just waiting for the return of our 1st round draft pick. I'll take a newly created, one-time only 33rd pick in the 1st round of the 2009 draft.... :)

people are sheep and they follow the loudest herder
it sucks but such is life

post a link proving this.

I would like to be able to read it and send it to morons.

thanks.

People will be calling the Patriots "cheaters" until the end of the NFL. It's just a fact. Doesn't mean it's warranted forever, but there will be no end to it.

i would like to see a link that proves this...

that shows that taping signals isn't illegal, and that location is all that matters.

Are you saying that you disagree with me, or that you'd like to see a website that shows everyone why they're wrong?

post a link proving this.

I would like to be able to read it and send it to morons.

thanks.

There it is. Thanks for clarifying.

In a September 2006 memorandum sent out by NFL Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson, though, all teams were told that "videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

Taping signals is illegal - stealing signals isn't.

And, no, I don't think the average, non Patriot fan will understand that we did a legal act (stealing signs) in an illegal manner (using a videotape instead of other methods).

It doesn't really matter. Taping the signals in the manner done by the Patriots is illegal, hence the punishment. It may not be illegal under other circumstances (based on things like location), but all the elements were there to make it against the rules in this case. Everything else is just semantics.

I agree the whole spygate situation has been overblown.

Although the fact that the pats got fined shows that they did do something wrong.

That being said I agree that others have blown this issue out of proportion due to the success of the patriots.

What exactly is the rule?
Is it that taping of opponents sidelines is forbidden. What would be a case where taping signals is not against the rules? My understanding is that taping of signals in a way is against the rules.

Taping signals is illegal - stealing signals isn't.

And, no, I don't think the average, non Patriot fan will understand that we did a legal act (stealing signs) in an illegal manner (using a videotape instead of other methods).

I agree, stealing signals is allowed but not taping signals.

It doesn't really matter. Taping the signals in the manner done by the Patriots is illegal, hence the punishment. It may not be illegal under other circumstances (based on things like location), but all the elements were there to make it against the rules in this case. Everything else is just semantics.

The entire situation hinges on 'just semantics'. In fact, the entire situation hinges on just one phrase and the disconnect between Goodell's interpretation of it and the interpretation used by Belichick.

You're right. I'm just pissed that it is presented as cheating and it cost us a #1 pick when, IMO, it should have cost us a #3. We didn't cheat, we broke the rules after we'd been specifically told not to and Jolly Roger got all pissy and girlie about it. We did deserve a minor penalty though.

I'm still wondering why the Dolphins never got fined. I guess I'll be wating forever on this one. I know everyone knows the story, here it is again: http://sports.espn. go.com/nfl/news/stor y?id=2696227 Funny how John Clayton said back then that "Teams are always trying to steal signs and signals off other teams. That's just football."

This entire "spygate" story has been overblown with Fish, Estabrook, King, Tomase, etc. continually confusing stealing signals and taping signals and continually regurgitating the same info over and over and presenting it as new "evidence."

Your problem is that you are being rational about this. This is not a rational process.

What dominates the media is not about reason, it's about what an audience wants to hear or believe. Anyone who has worked in politics or entertainment (NFL = Entertainment) has known this for a long time. When millions of dollars of revenue are at stake and when easily inflame-able passions come into play, the media stretches, embellishes or outright ignores the truth and pounces if they think they have a good story.

In a perverted way, it's a compliment. In the Patriots case it means that the Franchise was successful and powerful enough to warrant its attempted dismemberment by headline hungry pundits.

This is a blood sport, don't you get it? "OK, let's see if we can rip this Franchise and its management apart. It's dominated the league, let's see if we can put it in its place. We can't? Nuts! OK, let's stretch the story out as long as we can. Damn that Specter, why couldn't he have stayed in remission a little longer, now he probably is getting too sick to hold hearings. So, what else do we have? Did Michael Vick torture any dogs lately? What about Marvin Harrison, what can we do to him about that gun? Does anybody have any more good rumors about Roger Clemens? Did they really let that poor horse run until she broke both her legs--wow, isn't that cruelty--we can make some points with PETA on this one--did anybody get a shot of when they killed her?"

The only dupes in this are the poor idiots who think that any of what ESPN says is actually really believed by the people who say it. They don't care if it is true. It's a story that sells clicks and Airtime at the expense of a rich, successful, sitting target.

I want the Pats to fight back once they are formally exonerated of anything they haven't admitted and rip the throats out of the people who did this to them. Those people are expecting nothing else, by the way. They know the game. They know they've overplayed their hand and that Bob Kraft and his billions will be coming after them any day. Stay tuned. It's gonna be our fans' turn to have a little bloodlust sated.

Excellent post, man. :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick