PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cleaning up after the traffic accident – important issues to be addressed post-Berman

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTTA

He/Him
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
These issues are spread throughout many posts, over much time, so this is an attempt to focus the conversation.

1. The Top Job
Many have spoken of Goodell’s personal inability to handle the power and responsibility as the fundamental problem with the lack of success in punishing players. We can all be frustrated and disgusted with Goodell, and enjoy it when the press focuses on his arrogance as the issue; however, a job structured that way is going to be a magnet for an insecure megalomaniac. A competent senior executive who is offered unlimited authority without checks and balances is going to object, because it is a set up for being a scapegoat and a temptation that humans aren’t wired to manage well. The solution isn’t about getting rid of Goodell and installing another “better” person in the same job. The “police/prosecutor/judge” power needs to be distributed, and a process put in place that recognizes how people best function. That’ll attract a quality executive, and the NFL will stop having these horrible traffic accidents. In a way, by participating in the Goodell feeding frenzy, we distract from the core problem.

2. The Rest of the Management Team
What’s up with the NFL management hiring practices? These are incredibly cool jobs. If a normal search for the best candidates available were done, they would be able to get incredibly good people from a variety of industries, and the NFL front office would be a high performing team. Really, if people can move from biotech to banking, and from textiles to transportation, I think smart, experienced people can figure out the NFL. It isn’t rocket science.

And with the anti-trust exemption, the jobs are in a manner a public trust; there is a greater-than-normal responsibility to fill them with the best available people. I don’t understand why the handful of owners that are personally successful, and thus should know better, allow this to go on. It violates every Human Resources staffing practice developed in the past forty years. (Do they keep hiring Jets executives because they won’t have to pay moving expenses?)

3. Language
Everyone on our side seems to fall into the trap of answering the question, “So you are saying Brady didn’t know about deflated footballs?” Heck, even his father did on that radio interview posted here. It is a “Have you stopped beating your children?” question. No footballs were deflated (no act was taken to remove air from the Patriots footballs). The air pressure was measured and they were shown to have normal pressure readings for the conditions. That’s it.

And, while on the topic, the Patriots didn’t “cheat” when they had a camera in the wrong location a few years ago. They violated a League memo. There’s a huge difference. People keep saying the Pats are convicted cheaters and not challenged about it. What is cheating in pro football? There are teams and players punished for things every year that are more closely aligned with the word “cheating” than anything talked about with the Pats. When people use the word, they need to first be asked to define it, in behavioral terms.

There’s more, but that’s the top of my list.

My opinion on this matter is worth very little. I understand the dynamics of your standard company to some degree but a billionair football corp is something I have never experienced. One thing I would imagine is that using a federal court system and tax payer dollars to resolve a dispute between two parties over air pressure and the like may start to bring in external attention. I doubt the NFL would enjoy that. Internally I can't imagine losing five times in court and a few of those attracting nation wide media attention will sit well with the owners either. (agian I don't know)

In short I believe there will be changes in the hierarchy of the NFL HQ. I don't think it will be a swift sweep of the broom type action which would attract too much media attention rather a slow procedural step by step process that may take up to a couple of years. I believe Roger and his cronies's days are numbered.

Then again I might be wrong. haha

The ability to define what happened in the camera placement incident was decided when Kraft threw BB under the bus and unconditionally capitulated to Goodell. He agreed to gag BB about explanation of what was done. He allowed with his buddies Rooney and Mara to destroy the tapes that would have exposed other teams doing the same thing, Consequently, the truth that it was a minor violation of Goodell's interpretation of a memo and not the cheating that all teams do, never came out. While Goodell is responsible for the the trashing of the Pats reputation, Kraft was certainly a willing accomplice in the misguided belief that protecting the commissioner and the Shield was more important doing what was right for his team and its fans. This pattern has continued to today and we all know who the real Schmuck is now.

He agreed to gag BB about explanation of what was done. He allowed with his buddies Rooney and Mara to destroy the tapes that would have exposed other teams doing the same thing,

Is this true or just speculation? Serious question.

Years ago, there was a posting on an ESPN board, deleted soon thereafter from NEInsider that gave an alleged insider view of spygate. Many thought it was written by someone very very close to Bob Kraft...
It alleges the Pats were gagged by Goodell (sound familiar) and the destroyed tapes were innocuous.....

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=288988

My understanding was that if BB said anything contrary to the party line put out by Goodell he would be suspended. Kraft signed off on that and called BB a Schmuck. We all know how capitulating and supporting the POS has worked out. Thank you Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe