PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you like the sound of 'The Boston Patriots'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know where it ranks today, but I remember in '98-'99 when Kraft was talking about building in Hartford the news reports listed Boston as the #4 market (behind NYC, L.A. and Chicago). So even though Boston itself isn't as big as some other cities (for example, Indianapolis has a larger population in its metro area) it covers a lot of territory TV-wise.

Again, it's the number 1 single team (excludes the Jets) market in the AFC

First of all I doubt VERY much the Pats would change their name, even if they someday moved back to Boston. That 'train' has left the station. The marketing arm of the Pats wouldn't allow it. The New England Patriots are too well embedded in the public mind. But that being said, I have to doubt very much whether fans would abandon their team because the name Boston has been added, any more than the Red Sox wouldn't lose a fan if they changed their name to the New England Red Sox

Kraft stated he planned on changing the name to Boston Patriots if the stadium deal went through in the 90's

Yes, yes, I definitely do like it! :D

One weekend Clinton was in the city for a speaking engagement. The road I usually took was blocked with a sign that simply said 'closed' and there were a couple police cars parked with two police officers having coffee. There was room for me to pull over, so I pulled in to ask for help getting to my destination. One of the police officers looked at my like I asked for a kidney, "What do I look like? A [expletive] tour guide? Get your [expletive] car out of here before I have it towed." Then he turned away from me and continued talking to the other officer.

That sucks...but that's like me saying I was in Canada and someone swore at me.

One weekend Clinton was in the city for a speaking engagement. The road I usually took was blocked with a sign that simply said 'closed' and there were a couple police cars parked with two police officers having coffee. There was room for me to pull over, so I pulled in to ask for help getting to my destination. One of the police officers looked at my like I asked for a kidney, "What do I look like? A [expletive] tour guide? Get your [expletive] car out of here before I have it towed." Then he turned away from me and continued talking to the other officer.
Hmmm, I guess I've been luckier because I had a much better experience trying to find something in Boston.

It was probably 15 years ago now, I was down with my mom and my grandparents. We were looking for a Hotel on Boylston St and we drove around for like 2 hours trying to find it, finally I had an idea to ask a cab driver for help so I got my mom to stop behind one who was parked and I went up and asked him if he could drive to the hotel and let us follow him and instead of charging us he just says "too easy" and he tells me exactly how to get there and it really was easy after that.

The only bad experience I can remember from Boston was in the Subway, the thing was jam packed and I was right by the door and when it opened I tried to squeeze around people who were trying to get off. I'm a big guy so that didn't work very well and one guy shoved me off and out the door. Luckily I was able to get back in and I thought the guy was an a-hole, but hey you meet a-holes everywhere.

Anyway, I'm sorry you had bad experiences there, I rather liked Boston the times I've visited.

If there was no Boston, there would be no Patriots. What - people in the rest of NE don't root for the C's, B's, and Sox just because they don't have NE in their name???

It really is the Boston Patriots - whether Boston is in the name or not....

I only root for the Patriots.

I don't root for the Celtics. I have sort of started rooting for the Bruins now that the Whalers are gone. I went to a couple of their games anyway and rooted for them while I watched them play. I don't like baseball. In fact, the year they changed their name to the New England Patriots was the year I officially became a fan of the Patriots. That's not the reason I became their fan. I was too young to pick a team before that.

I like that the name is New England because I am from Eastern Conn and lived in New Hampshire as a kid.

all i know is when the pats win the sb they have the parade in boston.

If you've got a good thing going why change it? New England has a better ring and it covers a wider area which in theory would bring in more opertunities and revenue.

New England Patriots over the Boston Patriots . . . its not even close.

I don't like it. For all of my life, they've have been known as the New England Patriots.

I read the article from Dan Shaughnessy and he obviously thinks it would be a great idea to call them the "Boston Patriots" and to see Pat Patriot and the red and white uniforms again. I understand nostalgia, but the Patriots have seen success as the New England Patriots, not the Boston Patriots. Each time they've won a championship, they've been wearing the blue, red and silver and the Flying Elvis has donned the helmet, not Pat Patriot.

I would probably switch to another team if they ever changed the name to Boston Patriots. :singing:

Kraft stated he planned on changing the name to Boston Patriots if the stadium deal went through in the 90's

Really? I never knew that. I can see why he would have though.

I feel this a going overboard just a little.:confused:
They are now the 'New England Patriots'. Why mess with a good thing?
There have been so many other teams that have changed names.
Are they going to change them all?

That sucks...but that's like me saying I was in Canada and someone swore at me.
Well, yeah, I know, but I'm a Patriots fan and someone asked if I prefer Boston to New England and then someone asked if it was a cities thing or a Boston thing. So that's my story. Really, though, has anyone ever driven into Boston for any reason and come away thinking, "That was awesome"?

I was in Cleveland, of all places, last summer. We went to the R'n'R Hof. Parking was practically free, the people were great, and we found free parking on the street outside the Hard Rock Cafe. Same parking for their science museum and discounted tickets if you did both. The place was spotless. We had a great time for the cost of parking for a couple hours in the Hub of the Universe.

Boston has great hospitals and schools, but the rest is not worth the price of admission.

Last edited:
all i know is when the pats win the sb they have the parade in boston.

.....and through the canal in Providence, in Manchester, and Portland......

Well, yeah, I know, but I'm a Patriots fan and someone asked if I prefer Boston to New England and then someone asked if it was a cities thing or a Boston thing. So that's my story. Really, though, has anyone ever driven into Boston for any reason and come away thinking, "That was awesome"?

I was in Cleveland, of all places, last summer. We went to the R'n'R Hof. Parking was practically free, the people were great, and we found free parking on the street outside the Hard Rock Cafe. Same parking for their science museum and discounted tickets if you did both. The place was spotless. We had a great time for the cost of parking for a couple hours in the Hub of the Universe.

Boston has great hospitals and schools, but the rest is not worth the price of admission.

1) The reason why parking in Cleveland was so plentiful and everything was so nice and inexpensive is not a reason that pleases Clevelanders. It's the same reason why a Yugo costs less than a BMW. It's the same reason why so many Sox fans enjoy flying down to Baltimore for the Sox games when they're here - - so cheap! so available! Wonder why?

2) Anyone who comes to Boston and decides to drive themselves hasn't taken the time to do their homework.

That being said, given the history covered earlier, Boston Pols and Old-Timey Media Hacks have no reason to blame the Patriots for taking and keeping "New England" in the name - - ....."The fault Dear Brutus lies not in the stars.......

"

Wonder why?
Does it matter? Boston is an unpleasant place to visit. Suggesting mass transit as an alternative to the extremely expensive parking and tolls plus traffic jams along the cow paths would be fine if the buses were safe and did not smell of urine and arm pits. I'm glad I don't have to drive into boston to watch the New England Patriots.

.....and through the canal in Providence, in Manchester, and Portland......
the patriots are a boston team and always will be no matter what there called. if that makes you a insecure pats fan im sorry deal with it.

Just an observation from New Hampshire. On any given day I see ten times more Patriot logo's than the other three teams combined. I really do think that the other three teams are far more popular inside 128.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back