PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you like the sound of 'The Boston Patriots'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be bummed.

I agree with all your comments. I've never been in a more unfriendly city or in a more racist one than when I have been in Boston.

I also like cities, although I prefer to live 30 minutes away. I now live 30 minutes from Savannah. I liked living near San Francisco and Minneapolis/St Paul. And I've liked visiting lots of cities, especially New Orleans and Vegas.

I like cities. As I travel around the country and the world, I have found cities to be rich and interesting. For the most part, I have found their inhabitants to be welcoming and helpful. This surprised me since most of my early city experience was with Boston. I have never liked Boston. Boston is expensive and difficult to visit and its inhabitants are amongst the most unfriendly people I have encountered.

My feelings for Boston can be summed up in an experience I had in my youth. I was commuting into the city to take a class on Saturdays. This was before GPS's hit the market, so I had carefully mapped out my route to the school.

One weekend Clinton was in the city for a speaking engagement. The road I usually took was blocked with a sign that simply said 'closed' and there were a couple police cars parked with two police officers having coffee. There was room for me to pull over, so I pulled in to ask for help getting to my destination. One of the police officers looked at my like I asked for a kidney, "What do I look like? A [expletive] tour guide? Get your [expletive] car out of here before I have it towed." Then he turned away from me and continued talking to the other officer.

I vote New England Patriots. As much as I like Fenway Park, I'd love to see a Camden Yards type of park north of Boston.

Last edited:
I totally agree. My daughter,her husband, and two grandkids live in Boston, but she knows better than to invite us to visit. We go there maybe once a year, and get out as fast as we can.

the patriots are a boston team and always will be no matter what there called. if that makes you a insecure pats fan im sorry deal with it.
I am not an insecure pats fan and I really don't care too much one way or another, but I don't agree with this statement. Unlike the Celtics, Red Sox and Bruins, they dont' play in Boston. The city rejected them when they tried to move to the South Boston Waterfront.

Boston itself is a small city with a small population. In terms of population, it is smaller than Jacksonville, Seattle, and Indianapolis. It's the entire metro region that makes it such a big TV market. So maybe they should be called the Greater Boston Metropolitan Area Patriots :D

If there was no Boston, there would be no Patriots. What - people in the rest of NE don't root for the C's, B's, and Sox just because they don't have NE in their name???

It really is the Boston Patriots - whether Boston is in the name or not....

Huh? They haven't played in Boston in almost 40 years. And they are the "Boston Patriots"???

I don't think so. Boston rejected them. Kraft begged Boston to take them back and the Boston leadership said, "no way". Under this logic, I guess that team in Arizona should still be called the "St. Louis Cardinals". :rolleyes:

if we could roll the clock back, if we could undo all the politics around the Boston stadium, if we could forget that they went to four SB's as the "New England Patriots," and if we could forget that people from Bangor to Providence have identified with them under the regional name, then, yes, I'd prefer that they were called the Boston Patriots and had never changed the name in the first place. it's silly that this is a "New England" team while the Jests and Giants play in New Jersey and carry the name New York, but "it is what it is."

You're right - but what is silly is the Jets and Giants claiming to be a New York team when they are in New Jersey. It's certainly not silly for the Patriots to claim to be a New England team when they are.

I agree with all your comments. I've never been in a more unfriendly city or in a more racist one than when I have been in Boston.

I also like cities, although I prefer to live 30 minutes away. I now live 30 minutes from Savannah. I liked living near San Francisco and Minneapolis/St Paul. And I've liked visiting lots of cities, especially New Orleans and Vegas.

Fortunate for you to have found a state without racism.

:) All states have racism. And yes, the rural South is pretty bad. But for cities, Boston has few competitors.

Fortunate for you to have found a state without racism.

:) All states have racism. And yes, the rural South is pretty bad. But for cities, Boston has few competitors.

People can be ****s in Boston and Red Sox fans are typically obnoxious…but I really feel the racism 'thing' is overblown and mostly a thing of the past.

i prefere New England Patriots 'sound'

ps = this night i will be in fron of tv for this game (it will start at 01,00 a.m. here...)

i prefere New England Patriots 'sound'

ps = this night i will be in fron of tv for this game (it will start at 01,00 a.m. here...)

Excellent news pat.
Looks like you will finally get your throwbacks.
Are you having people over to watch with you?

Excellent news pat.
Looks like you will finally get your throwbacks.
Are you having people over to watch with you?

no: i will see it alone as my wife and my son will sleep (probably they will 'hear' me)
i took 1 day off from office as the game is playied here in Europe in the real night (from 1 to 4 am...)

sporadically i see some games with a friend of mine (a GB fan) and another one (a SD fan)

they like a lot the NFL and they do not dislike the Patriots too

but i'm very excited to see my beloved red uniforms and the awesome old Pat the Patriot on the helmet

I was born and raised in southern Maine and I always liked the fact that the New England Patriots were my "home" team despite the fact that they played in Foxborro, Ma.

I think the "New England" is more inclusive and a vast majority of the teams fans are not from just Boston, not just Massachusetts, but from many of the states in New England... and that was true even before they starting getting good. Many football fans in New England (including Boston) in the early years were Giants fans and the greater inclusion of the NE Patriots name couldn't have hurt in pulling those fans to the Patriots.

The Patriots' stadum is not in Boston and, in fact, Boston has been hostile in the past towards their attempts to have a stadium there, so they have no right for the name change in my opinion. If anything, the Foxborro Patriots or the Massachusetts Patriots would be a more appropriate name change... but I don't want those either.

I don't buy the argument: Boston Bruins, Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics, so the Patriots must be Boston Patriots. Football has nothing to do with those other sports and there are plenty of other things about those sports and/or teams that I don't want the Patriots to emulate either.

Lastly, the team is the Patriots. Everyone knows that the real patriots were not just from Boston, MA. It is fitting that the team is the New England Patriots since that includes the entire region where the revolution began. It also sounds better IMO than the Boston Patriots.

I think it would be dumb to change the name back now and would feel like a slap in the face to the many Patriot fans from other New England states.

Foxboro Patriots

The Sullivans stiffed the town of Foxboro.

I'm torn... I like how the name sounds. But I'm a fan of the New England Patriots because I was born in New England, not in Mass. I was born in Groton CT., so I like the all encompassing name...

I'm torn... I like how the name sounds. But I'm a fan of the New England Patriots because I was born in New England, not in Mass. I was born in Groton CT., so I like the all encompassing name...

One of your folks in the Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back