PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you like the sound of 'The Boston Patriots'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I grew up in rural New England, I love the sound- it's what I remember when the team was originally formed.

Yes I did. He was famous because he was making $100, 000/yr playing for the Pottstown Firebirds, the Eagles farm team. BTW, as you know, back in '69 $100,000 was REAL money. .....so was $250/wk :D

Wasn't it a big deal when Yaz got a new $100,000 contract for the 1968 season???? Wow, Corcoran WAS getting huge money from the ACL.

The NFL FIlms documentary on him is one of my favorites ever!!! Sadly, he passed away this year.

You must have a million stories from that league.

Last edited:
I love Boston, but Boston isn't deserving of the Pats. We can all thank Finneran for that... that prick should have gone to jail. After what MA did to the Pats when trying to build a new stadium, we're lucky Kraft even stayed in the state.

GFY Boston. Same to the CHB.
The bigoted, corrupt, short sighted, insular South Boston and other city bozos rejected Kraft's Megaplex which would have been a bonanza to the city and given the city's beloved Red Sox a new venue as well. I love the New England name.

...a day one Patriots fan

Last edited:
The New York football Giants would have to move a lot further away than the equivalent of moving from Boston to Woburn to change their name to the Jersey Giants. The giants started in NY in 1925. And there will always be talk of the giants and/or the jets moving back over the border, especially if the last NY teams is moved to Toronto.

People across the border in jersey may consider themselves New Yorkers or not. Please believe that those across the border in Maine, NH, RI, VT and CT DO NOT CONSIDER THEMSELVES Bostonians. Heck, those in Worcester and Springfield would rather that Boston be in another state.

If the New England Patriots were to move to Boston and changed its name and attitudes to become a Boston team rather than a New England team, many new fans would become giants fans (as in the past) rather than patriot fans. The patriots would likely keep most of their current fan base, as long as the Krafts and belichick ran the team.

The NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS are the team of a whole (small) region of the country. It was and is important not to be a team representing just Boston and those who consider themselves Bostonians.

if we could roll the clock back, if we could undo all the politics around the Boston stadium, if we could forget that they went to four SB's as the "New England Patriots," and if we could forget that people from Bangor to Providence have identified with them under the regional name, then, yes, I'd prefer that they were called the Boston Patriots and had never changed the name in the first place. it's silly that this is a "New England" team while the Jests and Giants play in New Jersey and carry the name New York, but "it is what it is."

Bottom line, the train has left the station, built up a full head of steam and disappeared around the bend, never to be seen again, except for four games this year.

The New York football Giants would have to move a lot further away than the equivalent of moving from Boston to Woburn to change their name to the Jersey Giants. The giants started in NY in 1925. And there will always be talk of the giants and/or the jets moving back over the border, especially if the last NY teams is moved to Toronto.

People across the border in jersey may consider themselves New Yorkers or not. Please believe that those across the border in Maine, NH, RI, VT and CT DO NOT CONSIDER THEMSELVES Bostonians. Heck, those in Worcester and Springfield would rather that Boston be in another state.

If the New England Patriots were to move to Boston and changed its name and attitudes to become a Boston team rather than a New England team, many new fans would become giants fans (as in the past) rather than patriot fans. The patriots would likely keep most of their current fan base, as long as the Krafts and belichick ran the team.

The NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS are the team of a whole (small) region of the country. It was and is important not to be a team representing just Boston and those who consider themselves Bostonians.

Craziest thing I've read all day. Why would someone in say, Manchester, NH, change alligencies to a NY team just because of a name change? Sounds like you are trying to make a political statement here, but sorry, there are a lot of Democrats in NY as well.....

First of all I doubt VERY much the Pats would change their name, even if they someday moved back to Boston. That 'train' has left the station. The marketing arm of the Pats wouldn't allow it. The New England Patriots are too well embedded in the public mind. But that being said, I have to doubt very much whether fans would abandon their team because the name Boston has been added, any more than the Red Sox wouldn't lose a fan if they changed their name to the New England Red Sox

Ask the good people of South Boston why that is.
I think THAT is a really legitimate question...do you think Kraft's religion had something to do with it?? I ONLY mention that because the same people who were claiming that 10 home games would disrupt traffic and RUIN the neighborhood...wanted the Red Sox with it's 81 home games to be there...me thinks if his name was O'Kraft...it may have happened. What happened was nothing but totally shameful..and mayor mumbles..deserves a part of that as well.

I think THAT is a really legitimate question...do you think Kraft's religion had something to do with it?? I ONLY mention that because the same people who were claiming that 10 home games would disrupt traffic and RUIN the neighborhood...wanted the Red Sox with it's 81 home games to be there...me thinks if his name was O'Kraft...it may have happened. What happened was nothing but totally shameful..and mayor mumbles..deserves a part of that as well.

Agenda, agenda, agenda......don't know why you took it there, but sorry, the answer is NO.

Wasn't it a big deal when Yaz got a new $100,000 contract for the 1968 season???? Wow, Corcoran WAS getting huge money from the ACL.

The NFL FIlms documentary on him is one of my favorites ever!!! Sadly, he passed away this year.

You must have a million stories from that league.

I saw that documentary and it sent chills down an old man's spine. Yes there are a lot of stories...at least the ones I remember ;). There were a number of guys from the NFL who were sent down. There were the guys who eventually HAD careers in the NFL. Plus the usual ones about all the guys working a regular day job trying to make a dream come true..playing a game they loved....and getting paid for it.

There are those in Manchester NH (and Manchester CT) that have been giant fans a lot longer than they have been patriot fans. I recall a preseason game (or was it a late season game) when there many more giant fans in the New England stands than patriot fans.

I presume that you think that the dislike that the rest of New England (including most of MA) has for Boston has something to do with the fact that Boston is Democratic like all cities. Last I checked, there are no Republican congressmen in New England. It is not about politics at all. Ther are many in and out of Boston who love Boston, southie, Boston history, and all that Boston stands for. Many athletes just love coming to Boston. And then there are the rest of us. And yes, I did see Boston up close and personal. I worked in Boston for over 20 years.

I have been a patriot fan for 30 years, and intend to remain one. I have always loved AFL and now AFC football, and the patriots continue to be among the three best franchises in the AFC. I have never had more respect for an organization than I have had for the Krafts. Belichick is the best, but this team would be great with Tomlin or Fisher or some of the other great coaches around today. Don't get me wrong. Belichick is probably the best coach ever.

We are priviledged to have such a great team, even it used to be called the Boston Patriots.

Craziest thing I've read all day. Why would someone in say, Manchester, NH, change alligencies to a NY team just because of a name change? Sounds like you are trying to make a political statement here, but sorry, there are a lot of Democrats in NY as well.....

I only skimmed through it (hate the CHB), but I think it's satire and not literally meant that the Patriots will be called Boston.

Of course, the team would have been much more likely to build in Boston if they were owned by the O'Krafts. But I suspect that Boston really didn't want another sports team in its midst.

There are those in Manchester NH (and Manchester CT) that have been giant fans a lot longer than they have been patriot fans. I recall a preseason game (or was it a late season game) when there many more giant fans in the New England stands than patriot fans.

I presume that you think that the dislike that the rest of New England (including most of MA) has for Boston has something to do with the fact that Boston is Democratic like all cities. Last I checked, there are no Republican congressmen in New England. It is not about politics at all. Ther are many in and out of Boston who love Boston, southie, Boston history, and all that Boston stands for. Many athletes just love coming to Boston. And then there are the rest of us. And yes, I did see Boston up close and personal. I worked in Boston for over 20 years.

I have been a patriot fan for 30 years, and intend to remain one. I have always loved AFL and now AFC football, and the patriots continue to be among the three best franchises in the AFC. I have never had more respect for an organization than I have had for the Krafts. Belichick is the best, but this team would be great with Tomlin or Fisher or some of the other great coaches around today. Don't get me wrong. Belichick is probably the best coach ever.

We are priviledged to have such a great team, even it used to be called the Boston Patriots.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about Boston that you don't like? Is it cities in general? Most people that don't like Boston don't like it because of politics....

And yes, I agree that we are all lucky to have the Patriots. I just don't think people would change teams just because the name would change to Boston from NE. On the the whole, people root for who they root for due to geography. And NH, VT, ME, and RI are still closer to Boston than any other metro....

Last edited:

I disagree. I think Kraft sets himself an upper limit that he is willing to pay to grease public officials. This limit was obviously too low to get things done in Boston, or with Massachusetts tax-payer dollars.

I disagree. I think Kraft sets himself an upper limit that he is willing to pay to grease public officials. This limit was obviously too low to get things done in Boston, or with Massachusetts tax-payer dollars.
Do you think if those residents WANTED the Patriots like they wanted the Sox, it wouldn't have been done?? I think if that had happened..they might have had a great waterfront stadium for football and baseball and a great revitalization of that whole area.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about Boston that you don't like?
I like cities. As I travel around the country and the world, I have found cities to be rich and interesting. For the most part, I have found their inhabitants to be welcoming and helpful. This surprised me since most of my early city experience was with Boston. I have never liked Boston. Boston is expensive and difficult to visit and its inhabitants are amongst the most unfriendly people I have encountered.

My feelings for Boston can be summed up in an experience I had in my youth. I was commuting into the city to take a class on Saturdays. This was before GPS's hit the market, so I had carefully mapped out my route to the school.

One weekend Clinton was in the city for a speaking engagement. The road I usually took was blocked with a sign that simply said 'closed' and there were a couple police cars parked with two police officers having coffee. There was room for me to pull over, so I pulled in to ask for help getting to my destination. One of the police officers looked at my like I asked for a kidney, "What do I look like? A [expletive] tour guide? Get your [expletive] car out of here before I have it towed." Then he turned away from me and continued talking to the other officer.

I vote New England Patriots. As much as I like Fenway Park, I'd love to see a Camden Yards type of park north of Boston.

Being from RI, does not make a lot of difference, coke or pepsi, but like the sound of the New England Patriots...

Absolutely not.

My feelings for Boston can be summed up in an experience I had in my youth...

Geez, can't say I blame you after that happened. I'd be pissed too.

No, because then I'd be reminded even more so than I am now I have to share my fav team with Red Sox fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes