PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do You Have Faith in the Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of talk about the offensive woes and rightfully so.

However, the playoffs will be the first time in awhile that the big four front seven playmakers (Jones, Sheard, Hightower, and Collins) will be on the field together. Throw in Malcom Brown playing well and Coleman replacing Johnson.

There is a chance that our defense can dominate and carry us to the SB despite the problems on offense. A chance.

I believe in a healthy defense. I believe in a Brady/Gronk/Jules offense. Tough to believe in the OL right now.

It depends on the matchup, but I see them losing in the divisional round. This team is broken, and the players who are left suck right now.

It's all going to depend on whether or not we can get one of those patented Belichick coached games that has the potential to turn everything around. We've seen them plenty of times before.

If they can do that, there's a definite chance of winning at home then facing whomever in the AFCCG. If they can't get one of those types of all around team efforts (last year vs CIN, following the loss at KC), then forget about it. They may be able to pull out a divisional round win still, but I would have a hard time seeing them go much farther than that. As you mention, matchups are key, as are luck/health.

The best matchup is Texans of course (seems unlikely). Next would be Bengals without Dalton. I would feel pretty decent about that. But I want no part of KC. None!

I have a lot of confidence in the team. Allowing players to heal up this week and getting key players back for the playoffs will make the difference.

That said, it will be the defense that carries this team through the playoffs and the offense will put up enough points to win.

I truly believe the defense is still one season away from being the elite unit that can carry this team. This is an offense based team and will live and die by how many points we score.

I have faith in the Patriots, but I am really worried about our offensive line getting the GOAT QB killed !

I truly believe the defense is still one season away from being the elite unit that can carry this team. This is an offense based team and will live and die by how many points we score.

I'd make enough comments in the past hour to state my cautiously optimistic opinion, so I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but I think some of those thoughts about this "being the best defense that we've seen in 10+ years" are ridiculous.

Right now, we're giving up the same amount of points that we normally see every single year, as 9/10 past seasons have seen top 10 scoring defense finishes. While the sack totals are up this year, the caused turnovers are significantly down--so it's pretty much an equal tradeoff. I just don't see what's so different about this year when compared to most others?

I think the defense is better than most of us imagined it'd be, but it's appearing to fall right in line with most of our other defenses in the Belichick era. As I mentioned in another thread, if we're examining the past 10 years, the defenses of '06, '07, '09, and '14 could be argued as being better than the one we're currently seeing. I think it has the potential to be in line with allowing only 20 points per game (pretty much right where it is at the moment), but we'll be needing more turnovers and big plays if anyone seriously expects to ride this defense 3 more games against top notch competition.

As you mention, our bread and butter is still on the offensive side of the ball, and they need to get that going quickly when Edelman/Vollmer return.

This teams needs a true answer to the 2nd corner position. Ryan is not going to cut it long term. He might be a solid 3rd corner. Thankfully Butler is for real, he is going to be our CB of the future.

Next season we will have perhaps the best, and probably deepest, defensive line in the league. Jones/Brown/Easley/Branch/Sheard/Nink and hopefully Hicks is a fearsome combination. We will have the best linebacker duo in the league with Hightower and Collins. McCourty and Chung are a more than solid duo at safety. And Butler is a true #1 corner. That defense is going to be awesome with a solid corner opposite him. Not superstar caliber, just solid.

So I think this offseason we should load up on offense in both the OL and running back positions. If we make a big free agent splash I want it to be either at running back or guard. I want a 2004 esque team, and I think the groundwork is there to get it.

Keeping something up the sleeve sounds plausible since we're used to seeing excellent gameplanning from this team, but that doesn't explain losing both games to mediocre opponents when all you needed was a split to secure HFA. More importantly, it doesn't explain putting your 2 top players (Brady, Gronk) on the entire team out there to keep getting lit up in the hopes that you're somehow going to manage more than ONE offensive touchdown per game.

My concern is that our OL and running game are worse off than even imagined, and that they're scrambling and failing to right that ship.
That I can't explain to you supa. I have no idea what the Patriots were trying to achieve this past month.

Last week, all this forum wanted was to stay healthy this week and get to the divisional round. Well, we did that. We will have Vollmer, Edelman, Hightower, Jones, and Coleman back.

Chung, Chandler, and McCourty will be even healthier.

I believe one of the most overlooked injuries is Edelman in the punt return game. Not only is he sure handed, he can spark the offense, or flip field position with a return.

WE ARE OKAY! EVERYONE TAKE A BREATH

Firmly believe we will be fine.

1. I don't think we set out to lose the last two games but I do not believe that winning was top priority case in point Brady throwing it 5 times in the first quarter. Clearly we need some sort of running game to be a legit double threat offense so the hand offs to Jackson made a lot of sense over the last fortnight.

2. O-line has not regressed it is just that Brady doesn't have the receivers to do the quick read with Danny being consistently injured, BB being patient and conservative with Gronk since the Denver game and obviously no Edelman. Vollmer should fix things up also

3. Hightower to the defense will shore things up there.

I think we can beat whoever we need to when required not scared of any team would prefer not to play in Denver but we were an OT and refs away from victory with no Edelman and no Gronk for a quarter. Keep the faith last two weeks have all been about the run O and limiting the play book- look for things to open up.

We have TFB he wants this he is not giving up without a fight - Pats 34 Chiefs 18

Last week, all this forum wanted was to stay healthy this week and get to the divisional round. Well, we did that. We will have Vollmer, Edelman, Hightower, Jones, and Coleman back.

Chung, Chandler, and McCourty will be even healthier.

I believe one of the most overlooked injuries is Edelman in the punt return game. Not only is he sure handed, he can spark the offense, or flip field position with a return.

WE ARE OKAY! EVERYONE TAKE A BREATH

Edelman is huge for us because he frees up coverage on Gronk and then Dola which frees up Lafell and White on the O. And you're hundred percent right on special teams ever since that game against Denver have looked petrified on ST when receiving. Personally I think it started when Dola got injured and we tried to play conservative which screwed things up on ST.

If we lose we are not going to lose like how we lost to Jets or the Dolphins with half he playbook left on McDaniels desk we are a more talented team and players will be back. I'm overly confident

That I can't explain to you supa. I have no idea what the Patriots were trying to achieve this past month.

I'm thinking it was a strong focus on the running game/OL protection, as well as developing some chemistry with others in the passing game, along with a return to physicality in the trenches and a firm reminder in the overall "next man up" and team building philosophy.

I'm guessing there was a relief when the bye was secured but they still planned for business as usual in terms of trying to get HFA. As we know, injuries were managed, some by choice--others not so much.

Unfortunately, I don't know how effective any of it was, but it's on to the second season now, so let's kick some ass either way.

The problems go deeper than the injuries. Right now they have zero mojo and a losing mentality. Don't know if they can just flip a switch and revert back to what they were earlier this season, the best team in the NFL.

Be rooting my heart out, but this does not look like a Super Bowl winning type team. Unfortunately I think Brady is hurt pretty bad. Looked really bad limping off the podium. Unfortunately there is nothing positive surrounding this team right now. Thank goodness for the 12-4 record and first round bye. That extra week is the only chance they have. IF they face KC, they will be facing a team that has won 12 in a row. Honestly I dont like their chances this year. Hopefully there are some miracles and they prove me wrong.

The problems go deeper than the injuries. Right now they have zero mojo and a losing mentality. Don't know if they can just flip a switch and revert back to what they were earlier this season, the best team in the NFL.

Be rooting my heart out, but this does not look like a Super Bowl winning type team. Unfortunately I think Brady is hurt pretty bad. Looked really bad limping off the podium. Unfortunately there is nothing positive surrounding this team right now. Thank goodness for the 12-4 record and first round bye. That extra week is the only chance they have. IF they face KC, they will be facing a team that has won 12 in a row. Honestly I dont like their chances this year. Hopefully there are some miracles and they prove me wrong.

Well, KC won their 10th in a row today, so you're a game off. Either way, the Pats are going to have to beat a quality opponent in the divisional round and go from there.

Cincy could pull off the upset vs Pittsburgh, which would automatically send them here, but they're tougher than people think as well. I also think they're more balanced than KC, whose whole offense is Maclin and Kelce. KC on the road is different than KC at Arrowhead.

I do. The quick passing game getting up to snuff will alleviate a lot of the pressure on Brady and the Divisional round will probably be the healthiest the starters have been since the Giants game.

I have faith in the Partriots, the purpose of this thread..

BB is smart enough to hunker down in the bunker with his brain trust and come up with something that plays better with the team he has available.. imo it is contingent on how many offensive weapons he has available for the next game.

How effective will Edelman be, can we expect his ability to cut and run routes considering his injury??

Will the complimentary receivers be healthy??

With the absence of Edelman and the injury to Amendola, the bread and butter routes for our slot receivers have been impaired, forcing the Pats into a game they usually do not play. It also allows double coverage on Gronk..

Defensively if we are reasonably healthy we can be successful..

Can we go all the way?? Not sure as it requires a little bit of luck along with a healthy, well coached team.

I do have faith in this team.

Getting to the Super Bowl is hard. People take it for granted around here. The Packers won it all in 2010, went 15-1 the next season but lost their first playoff game. The Seahawks were the first time in 10 years to make it back 2 seasons in a row since we did it in 2003/2004. Super Bowl champions are more likely to miss the playoffs entirely the next year than go back to the Super Bowl. So we should never just assume it's our birthright to get there. It's going to be difficult, even if we had secured HFA.

Yes, we're injured. But unlike many teams, we're getting some significant guys back. Vollmer and Edelman are two key starters on the #3 scoring offense in the league. It may also help with a potential foot injury LaFell has been dealing with, while Dola could use the extra time too. It hasn't looked anything like that without them, and we may not expect to score 30 points per game with them, but it will help. On defense, we'll get Hightower back after getting Collins back. We'll hopefully have 100% Jones and Ninko, with recovered health for both our starting safeties. That's almost half the starting defense right there.

And this team is tough, mentally tough. They have the heart of the champions and they will not go quietly into the night. Even in losses, they've fought til the end. Against the Broncos, the chips against them, injuries all over, then potentially losing Gronk, and Brady led the team down the field for the game-tying TD to force OT. Yes, we lost, but we fought. And down 35-14 to the Eagles in the 4th quarter on a night the ST imploded and everything went wrong, we fought back and almost tied it. This rag-tag bunch had nothing going on against the Jets, yet Brady led them down the field for an improbable TD to force OT.

They've played in a lot of close games, 9 1-possession games actually. They won their first 6, lost their last 3 as injuries mounted. A return of health to potentially 9 to 10 starters should help in the close games.

And of course, the GOAT HC and the GOAT QB, as well as the potential GOAT TE.

I do have faith, but I know that even if we were 100% healthy and playing well and with HFA, we still might not make it back to the top of the mountain. But I take this team over anyone in 2 weeks time.

Before KC? The line was vastly better? People have short memories.
You seem to be mixed up that a team that struggled in September them played great is the same ad a team that sucked in December and January.
Look we have Brady and belichick so there is hope but the way this team is playing the only way you can be confident about the playoffs is to look at the logo on the helmet and ignore what the players wearing it are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference