PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you even respect Peyton Manning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely, as much as I despise him he's one of the hardest workers in the league and one of the best of all time. It will be a sad day when he hangs up his cleats.

Peyton was a great deep ball thrower when he had wayne, harrison, clark, and stoekly.

Now he can, but he could back then.

Yeah, he had a good arm in his younger days.

Manning has pretty much had to shoulder the burden of all teams he has played on because his teams have never had a defense. It is amazing he has even one title given the lack of balance.

Never?

How was Peyton in 2007 with the #1 defense in the NFL in yards allowed, #3 when considering points allowed?

average defensive ranking, yards allowed, Colts 2001-2010: 16th
average defensive ranking, yards allowed, Patriots 2001-2012: 17th

Try starting with actual statistics, note the limited single digit defense years in his career with the Colts, and try explaining the basis for your opinion in lieu of professing your enlightenment on the topic. If you are enlightened as to the misinformation, try sharing your wisdom.

done.

Having the #1 defense in the league in 2007 is not consistent with the statement that Indy "never had a defense"

I respect Manning. It would be foolish to take him lightly and think he can't win a big game. He's done it before, even to us, although Brady does it much more often. And, either I've gotten used to his antics, or he isn't as whiny as he used to be. Other than the game against us he's pretty much been tearing the league apart this year and Brady has struggled at times. True, he has better weapons, but that means kudos to his coaches and GM for putting together a good team with good complimentary weapons, not a knock on Manning. We may see him again this year in the playoffs and I, for one, will be worried that that will be the game that he rises up and does what he's capable of doing.

Really, really intelligent and informative,:rolleyes: and a good reason posts with opinions lacking actually authority to correct the posts they criticize are treated as baseless and uninformed opinion (ie., blather).

Try starting with actual statistics, note the limited single digit defense years in his career with the Colts, and try explaining the basis for your opinion in lieu of professing your enlightenment on the topic. If you are enlightened as to the misinformation, try sharing your wisdom.

Add to that the 2007 Patriots effect, specifically that great offenses can make mediocre defenses better by virtue of the fact the opposing offenses become one dimensional and predictable, and susceptible to using key defensive pieces (e.g., Freeney and Mathis - great pass rushers, not so great run stoppers, Sanders was the primary piece there, and he was frequently injured and unavailable) optimally and specifically rather than in a more general (run or pass) capacity.

But hey, you know Manning is overrated, so go with that. You apparently know what you're talking about.

The myth about Manning never having good defenses has been debunked many times before, most recently here: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/1074051-brady-vs-manning.html#post3651582

I have nothing but respect for Peyton Manning. He is the 2nd best QB of his generation and one of the greatest of all time. His record and accomplishments speak for themselves. That doesn't mean you have to like him, but I can't comprehend how anyone wouldn't respect him. You might not like the ball-washing he gets from the media, but how is that his fault? I see it kind of like the Tebow thing, I don't blame Tebow because his lovers/haters annoy me.

And to be honest I kind of like him as a person. He seems like a genuinely good dude and isn't afraid to laugh at himself. Tom Brady might be a better QB than Peyton Manning, but Manning is 10x the Saturday Night Live host that Brady is :D (I'll still take Brady though)
I think differently of the guy. Peyton was entitiled. He didn't own up to sexually harassing this girl trainer at Tennessee and actually tried to rewrite history of the event. Instead of punishing Peyton for sexually harassing this girl, his alma mater covered it up and paid off the girl so she'd leave the campus. Read the whole article.
USATODAY.com - Trainer has backers in suit against Mannings

Naughright and her lawyer provided a different version of events. In a court filing, her lawyer wrote that she was examining Manning to see why Manning was having pain in one of his feet and was crouched behind him when "entirely unprovoked, Peyton Manning decided to pull down his shorts and sit on Dr. Naughright's head and face."

As Naughright described it in a deposition entered into the court record: "It was the gluteus maximus, the rectum, the testicles and the area in between the testicles. And all that was on my face when I pushed him up. ... To get leverage, I took my head out to push him up and off."

The court record includes a letter to Manning from former Tennessee cross country runner Malcolm Saxon, who Manning said was the intended target of the mooning. Written in December 2002, the letter reads, in part: "Bro, you have tons of class, but you have shown no mercy or grace to this lady who was on her knees seeing if you had a stress fracture. ...

"She was minding her own business when your book came out. Peyton, the way I see it, at this point, you are going to take a hit either way, if you settle out of court or if it goes to court. You might as well maintain some dignity and admit to what happened. ... Your celebrity doesn't mean you can treat folks that way. ... Do the right thing here."

Never?

How was Peyton in 2007 with the #1 defense in the NFL in yards allowed, #3 when considering points allowed?

average defensive ranking, yards allowed, Colts 2001-2010: 16th
average defensive ranking, yards allowed, Patriots 2001-2012: 17th

done.

Having the #1 defense in the league in 2007 is not consistent with the statement that Indy "never had a defense"

#2 in points allowed in 2005, #7 in 2008 ...

Peyton has had skill players on defense, but they never quite meshed together.

You mean except the times they had a top 8 defense? Or that time the defense carried the Colts to a SB win?

Good point.

I respect Manning, but I don't fear him like I used to. Some of those throws the other night are throws that he used to complete with regularity. The long pass down the sideline to Thomas, for example. He was blanketed by Talib, but the Manning of old would have been able to put the ball where only Thomas would have been able to catch it a few years ago. He's simply not capable of doing that anymore and, as the season goes on, his arm gets weaker and weaker. If anybody has trouble believing that, then ask yourselves this: in 2004-2009, do you think Belichick would have ever blatently dared Manning to throw it down the field and outside the numbers?

Too not even respect Manning is stupid. Brady vs Manning has defined this generation of the NFL. At this point of his career we should be over the childish this guys sucks or this guy is better (Brady is better, but who cares). I enjoy watching him play and wish him all of the luck.

I respect him as one of the very best regular season mild weather quarterbacks of all time.

If those "regular season" and "mild weather" qualifications seem to be an insult, sorry. They are the facts.

My least three favorite things about Peyton

1 "Just trying to be a good teammate here" as he throws his O Line under the bus.
2. Manning Face
3. Working the officials with Polian a few years back to water down defenses

He's still a great regular season QB and these epic battles are great to watch. Well miss both of these QBs when they are gone….

Of course I do. He is one of the greatest. I also like to laugh at the many faces of Manning as well as his post season success. But yeah, I do respect his ability.

Manning is a great quarterback - to even ask this question is pathetic. He is the only quarterback who really has the ability to reach the greatest accomplishment of Brady - to go thru the entire season unbeaten. Fact is he might have had that unbeaten season if it weren't for Polian (was it 2009?). Those who bring up the point about rings - hey, its been seven years since either Brady or Manning has won one!
Manning has not had the luxury of working under one the greatest innovative coaches of this football generation -an advantage that Brady has (which Montana, Bradshaw, etc enjoyed previously).

Manning is one of the greatest football players to ever lace em up. Of course I respect him.

Manning has not had the luxury of working under one the greatest innovative coaches of this football generation -an advantage that Brady has.

I sort of agree with you, but then... Tony Dungy is a finalist for induction into the Hall of Fame, so I guess an awful lot of people think he was a lot better than just all right.

I absolutely respect Manning, he is the second best QB of this era and one of the greatest of all time, however what happened the other night was not unexpected and does bring into question what his career would have been like had he been drafted by a team that played in bad weather. That in no way means he wouldn't have had a really good career, but he is the ultimate dome QB and years and years of playing in perfect conditions have apparently created a situation where he really struggles when the weather gets bad. His record reflects that and his performance the other night demonstrated it beyond any question. When he was younger his arm was strong enough to overcome some wind, but now it is too weak to handle anything more than a mild wind. Those were ducks and he looked like a bad QB when he was going into the wind. He will have to pray for good weather when the play-offs roll around, because anything approximating Sunday night is going to send him home for the offseason.

Manning is the better chef if the exact correct ingredients are available.

Brady is the better chef cooking with leftovers and whatever else might be in the fridge.

The reasoning for dumping welker is that it was necessary for Brady to have new weapons developed before it was too late for him to take advantage of them. The hope is that this bunch will carry him through to the end at a high level

Did you miss 2007? When Brady had the best weapons it was a joke. Yeah, they lost in the end, but Manning has lost many times with elite weapons. Manning isn't better than Brady with elite weapons, he's just had them more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back