PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you buy into the narrative of Joe Montana's "unblemished Super Bowl record" vs. Brady?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Does Montana "superior" Super Bowl record sway you in the GOAT discussion?

• Yes, Montana's Super Bowl stat line is amazing...BUT, I still think Brady is the GOAT (explain why)

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • Yes. Brady needs to win a 5th ring to win me over. Until then, Montana is the GOAT!!!

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • No. Super Bowl losses or interceptions shouldn't be counted against Brady whatsoever. It's silly!

Votes: 67 71.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You made it the only criteria when you deleted every other game they played in their careers beside the 4 trophies from the discussion.
What is? Performance? He led his team to 4 Super Bowls

Because both of them were so good during the regular season that post season is the tie breaker. Yeah I know Brady's regular season stats to joes aren't really comparable but consider when Joe played and consider the offense he played in. His seasons are pretty much very comparable to Brady pre 2007.

And to me they are practically tied there too. Some people penalize Brady, some give him the advantage, to me it's neither.

You made it the only criteria when you deleted every other game they played in their careers beside the 4 trophies from the discussion.

I think maybe you MIs understood. That was merely comparing Super Bowl performance

Playoffs are a terrible way to judge quarterbacks. A single NFL game contains so much randomness (balls sticking to heads; interceptions at the one yard line; fumbles bouncing) that you can't judge a player based on one-game elimination. It makes the game fun to watch, but it's a bit absurd to make that the overriding judgment. Quarterbacks don't win games, teams do.

And Joe Montana played most of his career throwing to the best football player who ever lived. Brady got the second best receiver of all time for a single year in their respective primes and they came a hair's breadth from turning in the only 19-0 season in NFL history.

In the end, the "who's better" arguments are pretty ridiculous anyways, there's a million arguments to be made here or there. But basing them off wins is stupid.

Because both of them were so good during the regular season that post season is the tie breaker. Yeah I know Brady's regular season stats to joes aren't really comparable but consider when Joe played and consider the offense he played in. His seasons are pretty much very comparable to Brady pre 2007.

And to me they are practically tied there too. Some people penalize Brady, some give him the advantage, to me it's neither.

I really don't know what you are advocating. Is it that TB12 and Cool Joe are equals as QBs or equals as SB QBs?

If its equals as SB you need to bring in Bradshaw into the discussion.

I really don't know what you are advocating. Is it that TB12 and Cool Joe are equals as QBs or equals as SB QBs?

If its equals as SB you need to bring in Bradshaw into the discussion.

Just as Qbs whole careers

Brady is 179-52 in the regular season
Montana was 117-47

Hardly a tie.
We are also talking about the non-SB playoff records, which are very different as well.

Playoffs are a terrible way to judge quarterbacks. A single NFL game contains so much randomness (balls sticking to heads; interceptions at the one yard line; fumbles bouncing) that you can't judge a player based on one-game elimination. It makes the game fun to watch, but it's a bit absurd to make that the overriding judgment. Quarterbacks don't win games, teams do.

I don't agree. Winning is the single most important stat a Qb should be measured by. A QBs job is to lead his team, manage the game and make the plays that need to be made in order to win the game. The playoffs and Super Bowl system are a way of differentiating the Phillip Rivers from the Jim Kellys and Fran Tarkentons of the world from the Montanas, Bradys, Bradshaws, Starrs and Staubachs.

What if TB12 won 180 regular season games but went 7-23 and lost 6 Super Bowls.

Would you think of him any less?

And Joe Montana played most of his career throwing to the best football player who ever lived. Brady got the second best receiver of all time for a single year in their respective primes and they came a hair's breadth from turning in the only 19-0 season in NFL history.

People forget that Joe Cool won two SBs and a ****load of games w/o Jerry Rice Just like Tom did w/o Rand

In the end, the "who's better" arguments are pretty ridiculous anyways, there's a million arguments to be made here or there. But basing them off wins is stupid.

If you want to differentiate a "passer" from a QB its the only way.

Last edited:
Just as Qbs whole careers

By your criteria its not a tie. If you factor in regular season wins, post season wins and Super Bowl being a tie, TB12 has a clear advantage.

I still cant understand why people are trying to quantify losing. To me the amount of superbowls or title games lost is completely irrelevant when discussing these two players

Because getting to those games is kinda a big thing. :rolleyes:

Hence the statement that Montana is the better SB QB and Brady is the better CAREER QB

Four Super Bowls. Four wins. No turnovers. One of the most impressive accomplishments by any athlete in any sport any where, any time.

How would Montana's record have looked if he had gone to six Super Bowls? Well, we don't know, because he didn't. And, that answers the question. Brady got to six and won four and did it all in the cap and free agency era. Staubach got to five and won two.

The more I think about it, as great as Montana's accomplishment was, it's a dumb question.

The question on the table is if Montana has a better Super Bowl legacy than Brady's.

My response is no. They have both won 4 Super Bowls.

While winning titles is all that matters, It cannot be dismissed that Brady has been there 2 additional times and played admirably in two narrow defeats (especially when your defense allows the GW TDs in the closing seconds).

Brady was incredible in SB's 38 and 49...... the other 4? Not bad but not great.

Montana was incredible in 3 of his 4 of his SBs (his first one, he was ok/solid)

Brady is still the Greatest QB of All Time.

Okay so then losing them is just as big as winning right?

What is so hard for you to understand?

Montana has the better SB performance. No doubt.

But losing in the SB is a better year than losing in the NFCCG (or earlier).

SB Wins: Brady - 4, Montana - 4
Conference Championship Wins: Brady - 6 Montana - 4

Winner: Brady

Brady was incredible in SB's 38 and 49...... the other 4? Not bad but not great.

Montana was incredible in 3 of his 4 of his SBs (his first one, he was ok/solid)

I agree, I don't think it's as obvious as others make it out to be. Right now I don't think there is a wrong answer between Brady and Montana for GOAT. I don't have a problem with Someone saying Montana is the GOAT, if they said anyone other than Brady or Montana than obviously yes. But I can guarantee you that If the Patriots won Super Bowl 42, Everyone would've proclaimed him as the GOAT then

What is so hard for you to understand?

Montana has the better SB performance. No doubt.

But losing in the SB is a better year than losing in the NFCCG (or earlier).

SB Wins: Brady - 4, Montana - 4
Conference Championship Wins: Brady - 6 Montana - 4

Winner: Brady
When I compare Quarterbacks I don't look at conference championships

If you want to analyze each game, lets look at how each QB helped the team win the game

TB12 managed the game and won his first SB on a GW drive. Walsh took the ball out of Joes hands and ran is 14 times in a row to ice the game. Ad: Brady

Joe was dominant in his second SB in a blowout. TB12 was equally as dominant and was tied 29-29 in the 4th qtr to lead the team to a GW drive in the closing seconds. Ad: Brady

In their 3rd SBs, Joe was immense and Tom made the plays when he needed to and the Pats won. Ad:Joe Cool

4th SB win: Joe was in the zone. Tom came from 10 down in the 4th Qtr and was in the zone. Ad: Brady's 4th qtr makes it a draw.

Last edited:
If you want to analyze each game, lets look at how each QB helped the team win the game

TB12 managed the game and won his first SB on a GW drive. Walsh took the ball out of Joes hands and ran is 14 times in a row to ice the game. Ad: Brady

Joe was dominant in his second SB in a blowout. TB12 was equally as dominant and was down by 7 in the 4th qtr to lead the team to a GW drive in the closing seconds. Ad: Brady

In their 3rd SBs, Joe was immense and Tom made the plays when he needed to and the Pats won. Ad:Joe Cool on style points

4th SB win: Joe was in the zone. Tom came from 10 down in the 4th Qtr and was in the zone. Ad: Brady's 4th qtr makes it a draw.
Im not sure thats True

Im not sure thats True

I screwed up.Ill edit it.

CAR was up 22-21 in the 4th, then Vrabes caught the TD to go 29-22 then CAR made it 29s then AV hit the FG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News