PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you buy into the narrative of Joe Montana's "unblemished Super Bowl record" vs. Brady?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Does Montana "superior" Super Bowl record sway you in the GOAT discussion?

• Yes, Montana's Super Bowl stat line is amazing...BUT, I still think Brady is the GOAT (explain why)

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • Yes. Brady needs to win a 5th ring to win me over. Until then, Montana is the GOAT!!!

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • No. Super Bowl losses or interceptions shouldn't be counted against Brady whatsoever. It's silly!

Votes: 67 71.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I compare Quarterbacks I don't look at conference championships

Why not? Joe Montana's Greatest Moment came in a Conference Championship Game.

So you're one of those people who watch a football game once per year because their neighbor invites them to a party?

Did you know the NFL plays more than one game per year and that there are more than two teams?

Why not? Joe Montana's Greatest Moment came in a Conference Championship Game.

So you're one of those people who watch a football game once per year because their neighbor invites them to a party?

Did you know the NFL plays more than one game per year and that there are more than two teams?
Yup Im done here

Oh please. So in your world, saying Joe Montana is the #2 QB of all time is "belittling him"???

I'm done. You're trolling.

Lmao no, where do you come up with that? Did you read my long post i made Probably about half an hour ago. But trying to discredit Montana because the Afc was weak is absurd. My dead ball era reference was completely different. Im trolling even though I have repeatedly said that Brady is the GOAT I guess or at the very least tied

Montana had the advantage of having better players ( Rice over Moss, Taylor & Clark over Brown/Branch, Lott over Harrison, Craig over Redman/Blunt/Faulk/Dillion, Rathman was a beast too. Brady only had a healthy Gronk for one SB. Coaching is a wash. Obviously free agency affected Brady's weapons over the years. Not as much for Joe.

49ers pumbled Cincy 1st time, Miami, Denver. Thus, they could run the ball more and avoid interceptions. Now why did the 49ers win in such dominating fashion vs Pats super bowls coming down to the wire? I struggle with that answer. Was it because the NFC was that much more dominant? Free agent factor? Can't totally answer that.

Let's play the " what if" game. What if Brady got the ball back with at 1:10 left in SB 42? What if Samuel/Welker make the pick/catch? What if Manning got sacked? What if the Pats recovered one of the many Giant fumbles in 46?

Brady made a total of 10 championship games, Montana 6. Montana had a few one and done games ( 85, 87) to Brady's Ravens/Jets games.

Brady had more SB appearances, thus more opportuniies to lose. Yet he still is 4-2. I take Brady.

The "4-0 in the Super Bowls!" argument is just a subset of the "Big game" argument. My problem with it is that it conveniently ignores the big games that you have to win in order to get there. A great example, IMO, is applying it to Peyton's playoff career. He goes from a choking dog, who was the master of the one-and-done, to a guy who went 2-2 in Super Bowls.

I find it hard to even give Manning any credit for that 2nd SB. He was carried by the D, and played dreadful in 50.

I find it hard to even give Manning any credit for that 2nd SB. He was carried by the D, and played dreadful in 50.

He's the QB of record.

Montana had the advantage of having better players ( Rice over Moss, Taylor & Clark over Brown/Branch, Lott over Harrison, Craig over Redman/Blunt/Faulk/Dillion, Rathman was a beast too. Brady only had a healthy Gronk for one SB. Coaching is a wash. Obviously free agency affected Brady's weapons over the years. Not as much for Joe.

You grossly underestimate the offensive talent BB has collected over the years.

The narrative "Brady did more with less" is not true.

I'd take a motivated, head-on-straight Moss over Rice any day.

I'd take a in-prime Troy Brown, Deion Branch, Givens and JE11 over John Taylor, Dwight Clark and Freddie Solomon. Go ahead and throw in Wes Welker if you want.

I'd take Gronk/Danny Graham/Wiggie/Murderer over John Frank/ past prime Russ Francis/Brent Jones combo

I'll take 04 Dillon over 88 Roger Craig and I'll take A. Smith over 89 Roger Craig and 84 Wendell Tyler.

I'll take KFaulk over Rathman.

You grossly underestimate the offensive talent BB has collected over the years.

The narrative "Brady did more with less" is not true.

I'd take a motivated, head-on-straight Moss over Rice any day.

I'd take a in-prime Troy Brown, Deion Branch, Givens and JE11 over John Taylor, Dwight Clark and Freddie Solomon. Go ahead and throw in Wes Welker if you want.

I'd take Gronk/Danny Graham/Wiggie/Murderer over John Frank/ past prime Russ Francis/Brent Jones combo

I'll take 04 Dillon over 88 Roger Craig and I'll take A. Smith over 89 Roger Craig and 84 Wendell Tyler.

I'll take KFaulk over Rathman.
You made me laugh when you took a smith over any body.

You made me laugh when you took a smith over any body.

I think you need to compare the two players.

He has more career rushing yards and TDs than Wendell Tyler and I'd sure as hell take him in December and January games over Tyler. Playoff rushing goes to Tyler but it's not a blowout.

I think you need to compare the two players.

He has more career rushing yards and TDs than Wendell Tyler and I'd sure as hell take him in December and January games over Tyler. Playoff rushing goes to Tyler but it's not a blowout.
I watched the 2 players I don't need to look at statistics.
Tyler was so much better than smith it isn't even a discussion.
It's like comparing Bennett to hoomawanui

Brady has come through at some of the biggest moments in Super Bowl history, with 3 game-winning drives against the 2001 Rams, the 2003 Panthers, and 2014 Seahawks. And he's made more Super Bowl appearances than any other quarterback, owning the record for most touchdowns and passing yards. He has the most prolific Super Bowl record in history.

Montana, to his credit, has the best statistical record in the Super Bowl, with a stat line that will likely never be replicated again. He has the most perfect, unblemished Super Bowl record in history.

Montana's Super Bowl record is superior, only in the sense of never having commited an interception or suffered a loss. But I don't think Brady is any less of a winner than Joe Cool. At the very least, they're tied

Montana won 4 Conference titles and 4 SB's
Brady won 6 Conference titles and 4 SB's
'nuff said.

Yup...same amount of SB victories but 2 more conference championships..oh and how many more conference championship games..more playoff games played..more division titles.. more actual QB records..more longevity..it really is no comparison after you get by the Super Bowl record.
Hell, Terry Bradshaw is also 4-0 in SB records but he is never mentioned in these arguments.

Yup...same amount of SB victories but 2 more conference championships..oh and how many more conference championship games..more playoff games played..more division titles.. more actual QB records..more longevity..it really is no comparison after you get by the Super Bowl record.
Hell, Terry Bradshaw is also 4-0 in SB records but he is never mentioned in these arguments.

We can agree he is not in Brady or Montana's level but I mention him constantly as one of the top QBs of all-time.

Stats are important by Bradshaw has done nothing but win and going 4-0 in Super Bowls when 2 of them required him to put up big numbers demands that he is part of the conversation.

Last edited:
You don't respect Smith's career and his accomplishments which are on par with Tylers.

That is ********.
If you honestly think smith was as good a Rb as Wendell Tyler we just shouldn't talk football with each other any more.
It's not even debatable.

If you honestly think smith was as good a Rb as Wendell Tyler we just shouldn't talk football with each other any more.
It's not even debatable.

Tyler was faster, smaller and quicker to the hole.

A Smith was bigger and stronger.

I'd compare James Brooks to Tyler - not A Smith.

Both had pretty good careers.

Completely different runners.

The point is you think A Smith is a JAG and that is nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back