PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you buy into the narrative of Joe Montana's "unblemished Super Bowl record" vs. Brady?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Does Montana "superior" Super Bowl record sway you in the GOAT discussion?

• Yes, Montana's Super Bowl stat line is amazing...BUT, I still think Brady is the GOAT (explain why)

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • Yes. Brady needs to win a 5th ring to win me over. Until then, Montana is the GOAT!!!

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • No. Super Bowl losses or interceptions shouldn't be counted against Brady whatsoever. It's silly!

Votes: 67 71.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady's 4th quarter against Seattle is rhe greatest 4th quarter performance in the history of the Super Bowl. In the 2 losses Brady drove his team down the field to take the lead with just 2-3 minutes left. Case closed.
This is true. That's why Brady is number one for me. Greatest comeback in a Super Bowl. Although the only thing not true in your statement was 4th quarter drives in both losses. It was only in the 1st loss

That's your opinion and that's fine. I actually agree, just not on the clear part. It's still a team sport. I just don't think more times to a Super Bowl is really an argument. But everything else holds water, just don't forget they played at 2 different times. Imagine if Marino played now

I don't know how old your are but I have watched both play. Montana was and will always be awesome in my mind. He was Joe cool. But Brady has pulled some serious crap out of his ass that Joe cool could only dream about doing.

Brady's multiple 14 point comeback against the Ravens and then the 10 point comeback in the SB against the #1 ranked D solidified his status for me. (The freaking dime he threw to Lafell....... Wow. Just Wow)

I don't mind people who put Montana in the conversation because he was that good but to me personally that argument ended on Feb 1, 2014.

I don't know how old your are but I have watched both play. Montana was and will always be awesome in my mind. He was Joe cool. But Brady has pulled some serious crap out of his ass that Joe cool could only dream about doing.

Brady's multiple 14 point comeback against the Ravens and then the 10 point comeback in the SB against the #1 ranked D solidified his status for me. (The freaking dime he threw to Lafell....... Wow. Just Wow)

I don't mind people who put Montana in the conversation because he was that good but to me personally that argument ended on Feb 1, 2014.

Except you don't know Joe couldn't have done that. What's wrong with Super Bowl blowouts. Montanas had some pretty nice comebacks. He played in a different time, in an offense that really wasn't conducive for him to put up stats. I think Montana could've done what Brady did in Super Bowl 49. To me it's a dead heat or Brady by a nose

Except you don't know Joe couldn't have done that. What's wrong with Super Bowl blowouts. Montanas had some pretty nice comebacks. He played in a different time, in an offense that really wasn't conducive for him to put up stats. I think Montana could've done what Brady did in Super Bowl 49

But he didn't do that. Brady did.

I just don't think more times to a Super Bowl is really an argument. But everything else holds water, just don't forget they played at 2 different times.

What is there to think about? Sports are about winning. Making it to the Super Bowl means winning in the playoffs. You can't get there without winning 2/3 games.
6 Conference Championships > 4. It's that simple. Easy math. Nothing to think about. Brady has made it deeper in the playoffs than any QB ever and has done it more consistently than any QB ever, including Montana. Losing the Superbowl > losing the Conference championship game > losing division game > losing wild card game > missing playoffs.

Simple. No thinking involved. Facts.

Definitely respected and admired what Montana did with his career. I'm not gonna knock or try to belittle the guy cuz he was a great, great pro. Think it's pretty hard to change a fans mind that hold him to the highest of standards as a goat.

For me though, it's Brady all the way, the stats for both regular and postseason speak for themselves. Both did some amazing things in those SuperBowls but I definitely think Brady did more with less ending the argument, not to mention he looks like he has 4-5 years left. That td to interception stat really freaks me out how good it is btw.

Okay and I come back with Montana never lost a Super Bowl, or never threw a pick in one. Montana put up 55 in a Super Bowl. Brady can't say that. One isn't more important the other.
Going to 6 superbowls is more impressive than dropping 55 in one. Sure, Montana is 4-0 and I respect him, but there are so many other reasons why Brady is better.

What is there to think about? Sports are about winning. Making it to the Super Bowl means winning in the playoffs. You can't get there without winning 2/3 games.
6 Conference Championships > 4. It's that simple. Easy math. Nothing to think about. Brady has made it deeper in the playoffs than any QB ever and has done it more consistently than any QB ever, including Montana. Losing the Superbowl > losing the Conference championship game > losing division game > losing wild card game > missing playoffs.

Simple. No thinking involved. Facts.

I don't get why people are trying to quantify losing in playoff rounds. Just stop. I don't care about who went to more championship games or super bowls. I care about rings. They are tied in the category.

The "4-0 in the Super Bowls!" argument is just a subset of the "Big game" argument. My problem with it is that it conveniently ignores the big games that you have to win in order to get there. A great example, IMO, is applying it to Peyton's playoff career. He goes from a choking dog, who was the master of the one-and-done, to a guy who went 2-2 in Super Bowls.
There's a difference though between Manning having to be literally dragged to the two wins he got and elevating your game to the very highest level in the biggest games. Manning went 2-2 but he hardly was the difference maker in either of the wins.

There's a difference though between Manning having to be literally dragged to the two wins he got and elevating your game to the very highest level in the biggest games. Manning went 2-2 but he hardly was the difference maker in either of the wins.
Not to mention, one of his losses was ugly and in the other threw a pick six to seal the game.

Okay and I come back with Montana never lost a Super Bowl, or never threw a pick in one. Montana put up 55 in a Super Bowl. Brady can't say that. One isn't more important the other.

Brady can't say what?

Montana threw more interceptions per playoff game than Brady has. So there's that.

Every Time Montana won a SB he had a top 3 or better defense to help him out. Brady can't say that.

Montana was great. Brady is better. Two great freaking QB's.

What makes Brady better in my eyes is that Brady has excelled throughout his career playing in the salary cap era with a lot of no name receivers and has STILL been winning, even with all the chop and change of the team. I think Brady is better for that reason. Montana did not play in the salary cap era and had some of the greatest ever receivers to throw too in their prime like Jerry Rice so that definitely made his job no doubt easier. Montana in fairness also played in an era where defenders could absolutely destroy the QB and receivers which is why his stats will never be as good as QBs in today's game. Montanas stats would look A LOT more prettier if he was playing in todays game which is more like arena football now. Both are just as clutch as one and other and Montana is Brady's idol so its no surprise. Brady over Montana by an inch.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm missing something but I've never quite understood how Montana losing two games that Brady won is somehow a difference maker in Montana's favor.

"Hmmm - two great QBs, both have 4 Super Bowl rings - but which one has the edge? Hey - I know. Didn't Montana fail to make it to as many Super Bowls as Brady? Well, then clearly you have to give Montana the advantage!"

What Brady and Bill have done is simply too awsome to put into words.

The era. Joe played on all star teams that were much easier to keep together compared to todays game.

Brady has had moving parts every second of his career. He's adjusted and adapted game to game. From no names to Moss and Welker, to Gronk and Hernandez and on. The injuries. The distractions. The grind. The adversity.

Someday, someone a lot smarter than me will put it into more elegantly but hes the ****in goat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes