PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we still draft CB in Rd 1 with Samuel being franchised?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference between a rd 1 and rd 2 player is usually more about the ability to impact quickly than longterm potential. For example, there are few players in the draft with as much longterm potential as Marcus McCauley, but he is not a finished product and needs time to develop. Since the Pats already have 2 quality cbs for 2007, they can afford to wait till rd 2 and nurture a young player an extra year.

A lot of these players to drop because of the immediate impact factor but many drop because they have a red flag and teams are more likely to gamble in the second round.

McCauley had an awful senior year and teams are worried about his ability to move to the next level. I think he has a huge bust risk.

Quintin Moses will probably slide to the second round for similar reasons and concerns about his size.

Brandon Merriweather because of his character questions.

A lot of these players to drop because of the immediate impact factor but many drop because they have a red flag and teams are more likely to gamble in the second round.

McCauley had an awful senior year and teams are worried about his ability to move to the next level. I think he has a huge bust risk.

Quintin Moses will probably slide to the second round for similar reasons and concerns about his size.

Brandon Merriweather because of his character questions.

As far as McCauley goes... solid coaching without the pressure of starting his 1st year could benefit him greatly. Athletically there are no questions about him. He's the type of player who could reap great rewards at less risk in rd. 2. Athletically he may be the most gifted cb prospect in this class.

IMO, we switch to safety. Nelson and Meriweather are looking better and better.

Seymour, arent you a Longhorn fan? How do you feel about Michael Griffin? Do you just like Meriweather and Nelson better?

As far as McCauley goes... solid coaching without the pressure of starting his 1st year could benefit him greatly. Athletically there are no questions about him. He's the type of player who could reap great rewards at less risk in rd. 2. Athletically he may be the most gifted cb prospect in this class.

Athletically he may be the most talented in the entire draft. He is a physical freak for his frame. I wish that translated to NFL success.

Seymour, arent you a Longhorn fan? How do you feel about Michael Griffin? Do you just like Meriweather and Nelson better?

Yeah I am, but I don't like Griffin or Ross. They were part of a truly atrocious secondary that collapsed against Ohio St. and late in the season. Put one of them in a working system and they may be fine, however Ross has off field issues and Griffin misses a lot of tackles.

I doubt the Pats will be able to work out a long term deal with Samuel, however they could rent him for a year like Buffalo did with their franchise CB.
We just promise Samuel that if he reports and plays all year, we won't franchise him again next season.
In the meantime we draft Revis and give him a year in the system.

I would also like to see us draft a CB with the expected 4th round compensation pick and wit that pick, I'd like us to take CJ Gladdis of Clemson depending on how he runs. He has size and a good bit of quickness and he did hold Calvin Johnson to zero catches in the Clemson Ga. Tech game this year.

a solid plan

I doubt the Pats will be able to work out a long term deal with Samuel, however they could rent him for a year like Buffalo did with their franchise CB.
We just promise Samuel that if he reports and plays all year, we won't franchise him again next season.

I would also like to see us draft a CB with the expected 4th round compensation pick and wit that pick, I'd like us to take CJ Gladdis of Clemson depending on how he runs. He has size and a good bit of quickness and he did hold Calvin Johnson to zero catches in the Clemson Ga. Tech game this year.

Do we go into the draft ignoring CB's now? Or are they still a top priority?.
There is no need whatsoever to draft a cornerback in the first round with Asante Samuel franchised. The Patriots need to finally draft linebackers or defensive ends that can be converted to linebacker since Vrabel, Bruschi, and Colvin aren't getting any younger. The Patriots can find value in the second or third round at the cornerback position.

There is no need whatsoever to draft a cornerback in the first round with Asante Samuel franchised. The Patriots need to finally draft linebackers or defensive ends that can be converted to linebacker since Vrabel, Bruschi, and Colvin aren't getting any younger. The Patriots can find value in the second or third round at the cornerback position.

I don't think we'll spend two first round picks on conversion projects.

i.e. DE to OLB or OLB to ILB

I'm thinking DB and WR in first round.

1) I don't expect Samuel to play for the patriots in 2007; at most he would play 7 games.
I don't know why you persist on this silly line of thinking. The risk/reward in a holdout over $8M is totally different from that over the $1M Branch risked.

I do think Samuel will get a long term deal from someone - maybe us, maybe someone else. But he's playing the whole season for some team.

Regarding the question, it's unanswerable because we don't know if Samuel stays. If the question assumed he'd play for us a a Franchise Tagged player, it does alleviate the need for the immediate but we'd still need to draft some new talent in case Samuel leaves in 12 months. If we were to sign him long term then it would definitely drop CB down for me - not out of the draft completely but out of the first round.

Ochmed, gotta disagree. I'm not in favor of letting Asante go for nothing in 2008. And I doubt BB will be, either. They wouldn't make that promise to Branch - why would they set that precedent with Asante?

agree with belichickfan. The idea Asante could hold out is, I suppose, possible, but for mgteich to couch it in "foregone conclusion" is silly. There is very little chance Asante does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick